PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Dakota

Skipper Dan
04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
I just received my plans for a Street Fox Trike and will start t order parts. I did look around on the forum for some answers, but very time consuming to find answers.

First of all I have built airplanes so this is not new to me. i am planning on building three street fox trikes. (Wife Daughter and myself) for some road trips.
Maybe two of them electric. I found a nice electric bike at Walmart that would be easy to use as parts as the motor is just bolt on. I want to to build these out of Chrome moly. and was just wondering how long a piece I would need for one bike. (All riders are 5'-5"). Also It is going ot be hard to get 2" chrome moly. Will 1"-3/4" do? or is there a recommendation out there. Has anyone built one out of chome moly that can give me some insight.

Also I have plenty of heavy BMX bikes but not with the 9/16" axle. At least 36 spoke rims. I saw the DIY on the hubs but it was for a rear axle on a trike. Is there a tutorial for the front hubs as well using the heavier bolt? or can I just buy a different hub for my wheels?

Thanks for any help that comes through. I need these done pretty quick as the summers in North Dakota are rather short.:crown:

Twinkle
04-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi and welcome

Take a look at the 20/20 e-trike thread a variation on the streetfox with some of the info you will need for modifying bmx hubs for disc brakes , and electric assist etc .

Will be back online in a couple of days and hopefully I might be able to help further .

Regards Emma

Skipper Dan
04-25-2016, 07:37 PM
This is what I have so far. never mind I have to put them on the web first I guess.

One other question what is USS as applied to brakes? By the way you made me learn a lot about hubs already. I am going to disassemble one to learn even more.

Skipper Dan
04-25-2016, 08:00 PM
This is what I have so far. never mind I have to put them on the web first I guess. ( I tried to put them on Photo Bucket but still could not get them to upload.)

One other question what is USS as applied to brakes? By the way you made me learn a lot about hubs already. I am going to disassemble one to learn even more.

Skipper Dan
05-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Up date, I could not wait so I bought a Terra Trike. Mostly to see what it would look like. All 20" wheels and no suspension. It did have some nice front wheels though with disc brakes. I think this may be over kill because they are very touchy. Brakes controls on each handle and you have to use them carefully and in unison or they pull you all over. I may just forget about the front disc all together and go for a good rear disc setup. I needed one for my wife right now so I had to get something ready to go. I am going to build two more over the summer. It will be fun to see how they compare. I am going to build with chrome moly. WE have over 100 bikes a the city impound that will be going for auction soon but there isn't anything good there. no large axles and not much for suspension.

Dan

darnthedog
05-12-2016, 01:23 AM
It is not recommended to use a rear brake only. Front only is Brads Suggestion. See Plans. Rear only is unsafe.

gir.
05-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't go single brake in the rear. As was mentioned, it is very unsafe. If pulling two brakes isn't favorable, you can buy levers that can attach two brakes lines. The rear brake is more of a drag brake. Great for skidding, but will not slow you or stop you in a hurry. Safety is always paramount.

Skipper Dan
05-12-2016, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't go single brake in the rear. As was mentioned, it is very unsafe. If pulling two brakes isn't favorable, you can buy levers that can attach two brakes lines. The rear brake is more of a drag brake. Great for skidding, but will not slow you or stop you in a hurry. Safety is always paramount.

Got it, I know of the single brake lever. I also found out today that I can use a 24 or 26 inch wheel on the rear. Tonight the wife is going to use it for the first time so I will see how she does with the two brake levers.

Dan

gir.
05-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Got it, I know of the single brake lever. I also found out today that I can use a 24 or 26 inch wheel on the rear. Tonight the wife is going to use it for the first time so I will see how she does with the two brake levers.

Dan

You can use 20", 24", or 26". The only thing is with a 24", you're really limited in tire options. To a lesser degree with the 20". Any particular reason you're going for the Direct Steering instead of the USS? I recommend trying both. Maybe use the TerraTrike, as if I recall, they are direct steer. Then see if you can find an ICE or similar dealer that has USS examples. You may find you like one better than the other.

Skipper Dan
05-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Any particular reason you're going for the Direct Steering instead of the USS? I recommend trying both. Maybe use the TerraTrike, as if I recall, they are direct steer. Then see if you can find an ICE or similar dealer that has USS examples. You may find you like one better than the other.

I do not know what ICE or USS is. The Rover is just like the Street Fox I believe.

Dan

HHJJ
05-13-2016, 12:24 PM
Hi Dan,

USS (Under Seat Steering)
ICE is a UK trike manufacturer

http://www.icetrikes.co/

I think the seat is higher up on the Rover than the StreetFox.

Twinkle
05-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Here are a couple of modified street foxes I built a little while ago

The only things that identifies them to a "street fox" is the rear suspension, adjustable bottom bracket and 40mm 16g tubing .
A definite cross between a Warrior and a street fox .

21 speed 18 - 85" gearing

Specification is 20" wheels all round , Under Seat Steering , Disc brakes ALL ROUND , ( 2into 1 on front brakes ) a straight front boom and the most important touch the e-assist
Both trikes were built , 100mile pre-strip and paint road test etc from mid May to the end of August , With the first being used in July's Zombie Fest.

Take a look at the 20/20 e-trike thread for a lot more information on various mods or the Jan 15 newsletter that is a shortened form if you get bored easy

http://s13.postimg.org/iges4d7jb/rottingdean.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nf2aiwbc3/full/)
pc screenshot (http://postimage.org/app.php)

Other things like 14mm axles in standard hubs also covered in that and other threads I have started
My TERRIER used 20/24 " wheels but need a 11-30 7s DNP freewheel to give decent gear ratios.

This summer I hope to do more riding than building as the SS Quad velo is on hold .

Its no good getting old if you don't get wise :smartass2:
:thinking2:

These were built as "holiday " trikes and are in everyday use as runabouts when we are at home .

regards emma

gir.
05-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Sorry. USS vs Direct steering.

Under Seat Steering is push and pull, like a bicycle. Push forward on the right and pull back on the left makes you turn left, just like a bike.

Direct Steering means you have to move your hands to the one side, to go the opposite way. Move your hands to the right side to go left. Also, you get a bit more feedback/road feel with direct steering. For some, it can be a touch more twitchy at speed, as even subtle hand movements make very instant directional changes.

I was just recommending to find a dealer that sold a Trike with USS, so that you can feel the difference between the two, and make your decision on which steering method you like. Like Twinkle, you can always make hybrids, which is why these plans are awesome. Warrior underseat steering on a streetfox frame.

Skipper Dan
05-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks Twinkle,

I am catching up. I will order a plans for a warrior just to see the difference. What difference does the straight bar make on a trike or what is the advantage of either? It would really be nice to find a supplier that makes the 14mm axle wheel with sealed bearings all made up with disc brakes. I really like the setup on the Rover. Also how do I post pictures for some reason the forum will not let me even from Photo bucket.

Dan

darnthedog
05-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks Twinkle,

I am catching up. I will order a plans for a warrior just to see the difference. What difference does the straight bar make on a trike or what is the advantage of either? It would really be nice to find a supplier that makes the 14mm axle wheel with sealed bearings all made up with disc brakes. I really like the setup on the Rover. Also how do I post pictures for some reason the forum will not let me even from Photo bucket.

Dan

If you are truly adverse to building your own wheels- you could contact Terra Trke and order a set of wheels for a Rover. Then you will have what you want. Biggest issue with that is the $ you may have to spend.

Twinkle
05-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks Twinkle,

Dan

posting photos
http://www.atomiczombie.com/Forum%20Photos.aspx

The straight boom make the wheelbase a little less ( 42" ) near enough , its easier to build and easier to weld in place ,
You won't get many 14mm spindle disc braked wheels but saying that I got a pair of 48 h quando BMX wheels from the dump for a tenner ( 10 GBP ) fitted to its BMX so you can get if you look hard enough , Personally if you are over 250 lbs go 20mm hubs and bit the bullet they are not cheap !

regards emma

Skipper Dan
05-15-2016, 10:06 PM
I am not anywhere near 250#. 130, soaking wet. Wife could not handle the brakes so I need to order a dual to one setup. Also I do not really like the Rover so much. the seat sits too far forward, (too close to the handles). your heals just barely clear the cross bar if you move it back too much. I put my 26" rear wheel on it and I like that much better than the little 20" it came with. Steering is really twitchy. I have to look at the plans some more and find one that will give me some room for my feet. The Street Fox is USS or Direct? I think the Rover is Direct or it seems like it. I think it is the same as the Street Fox.

Dan

gir.
05-15-2016, 10:47 PM
If the handle bars connect directly to the fork/kingpin/wheels, that's direct knuckle steering. That's what the original Streetfox plans have. The warrior has the under seat steering. This is the reason many on here will recommend the 6 pack of plans. You can incorporate the under seat steering on a streetfox frame. Just mix and match. Twinkle has a couple examples of this.

DKS can be more twitchy, but it gives you a little more road feel. Some like it, some hate it.

USS will give you a smoother more consistent feel, but you won't get that instant delicate connection to the road.

Skipper Dan
05-15-2016, 11:11 PM
I have been surfing the internet, and I have that figured out now. most of the bikes I see are Direct. I'd rather my wife's bike was not direct. So I will look into a set of warrior plans. I also figured to get the steering farther back and keep the seat farther forward so your feet are not so close to the cross bar. Ideally I think you want to be seated as close to the bar as possible then just adjust the handles so they are a comfortable distance away from your body. Also almost all the bikes I saw had Front disc brakes so they cannot be that hard to get I hope. One other thing I saw was that my 20 inch BMX bikes I have are all 360 rotate bars so I do not think they will work for the steering.

Dan

Twinkle
05-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Fitting a larger wheel on the rear will make it twitchy as you have increased the angle of the head tubes

Twitchy and dks is a pita , USS is much better , with the correct head tube angles.

Regards Emma

Skipper Dan
05-16-2016, 11:28 PM
I am going to look into USS. I saw your retrofit thread. I like the bigger rear wheel so far, I can ride it without much input to the steering. Also I called Terra trike for the upgrade to a tandem. I figured getting the wife on it that way would help. They wanted $999.00 for 2' SQUARE TUBE AND CRANK SET! that is all it takes to convert it to a tandem. well a seat and handles also, but still... 899 for the whole thing and 999 for a 2' tube.

Dan

HHJJ
05-17-2016, 04:04 AM
Yes Dan,
all this recumbent stuff seems way overpriced. Seems to be spec you would see on a 400.00 bicycle turns out to be 2000 - 4000 on a recumbent.

....that's why we all end up here.

dunelt_1954
05-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Dan,

My wife rode a Terra Trike and learned enough on the test ride to have some definite ideas on how the Street Fox should fit and feel. I just uploaded four pictures to the gallery, my variation used 48 spoke BMX wheels from Amazon, only about $30 each with 14 mm axles. I moved the cross boom under the main tube to get a little higher seat, used a 24 inch rear wheel, and mounted the bottom bracket upside down, to get a little lower cranks while sacrificing the front derailleur. The track is wider than the plans, too! I believe that Brad's insistence on center point steering, caster and Ackerman have made VERY stable direct steering. The mild steel that Brad suggests is very forgiving, and easy to rework if you modify the design. You can build a better trike than the Rover. Having the latitude to modify width, steering, seat, etc, inexpensively is one of the greatest values received from the AZ plans.

HHJJ
05-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Sounds like it might be a good fit for me too the way you have done it.

If you load up your photos to some free photo hosting website e.g. http://postimg.org/
(You can create a free account and create albums for yourself)
When you upload an image to there you collect the image link and insert it into your forum postings using the insert picture button above the text entry panel.

Ooo! You haven't wasted any time building that and it looks well comfy.
Nice colour too.
Well done.

Skipper Dan
05-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Yes that looks like what i was thinking, thanks for posting. If I do anything I am going to use the wheels from the Rover. All I really have to do is modify that into a Street Fox. I was already looking at moving the bar under the main frame. I think I can do it without any cutting or welding just by clamping another tube under the current one. I still like the forward angle of the Street Fox though. Maybe I am crazy but I would think sitting back farther is more stable than right over the wheels. The Rover is a nice trike just not designed well. Or was designed for easy cheap assembly. It does have very good components. I am very pleased with the 26 wheel I put on the rear and by putting the cross bar under the main frame I will bring it back up to level. I just used my wheel from my 7 speed beach bike, I have more top end than I need, yet I still have easy to pedal low end gears.

I am pouring concrete for my addition so I do not have much time at the moment, but I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I found an excellent rear rack and bags on the internet.

Dan

stormbird
05-23-2016, 01:51 AM
It did have some nice front wheels though with disc brakes. I think this may be over kill because they are very touchy. Brakes controls on each handle and you have to use them carefully and in unison or they pull you all over. I may just forget about the front disc all together and go for a good rear disc setup.Dan

not sure why no one has mentioned this however it is NOT the disc that are causing this problem !

the trike geometry is wrong if you are getting ' brake steer ' , it is probably made worse by ' direct steering '

a single brake lever controlling both is going to make this worse !

as unless you were to adjust each brake within mm accuracy they are not going to come on at the same time/intensity and then with one lever you will have no way of easing off the brake that is causing the steering !

http://tribolttrike.blogspot.co.uk/p/steering.html

Twinkle
05-23-2016, 03:36 AM
not sure why no one has mentioned this however it is NOT the disc that are causing this problem !

the trike geometry is wrong if you are getting ' brake steer ' , it is probably made worse by ' direct steering '

a single brake lever controlling both is going to make this worse !

as unless you were to adjust each brake within mm accuracy they are not going to come on at the same time/intensity and then with one lever you will have no way of easing off the brake that is causing the steering !

http://tribolttrike.blogspot.co.uk/p/steering.html

this is also made worse by fitting a larger rear wheel the increase in head angle will make the trike more lively .

a 3" increase in the rear wheel will increase the head angle by

Tan angle increase =

3"

Wheelbase

regards emma

dunelt_1954
05-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Dan, what everyone has contributed is correct. The caster angle does have an effect on steering effort and self-centering. Sometimes, I succeed in spite of myself, the 24 inch rear wheel that I used was available from a friendly local bicycle mechanic, and the geometry of the swingarm mount just worked well. The Rover does have some nice components. I don't know that I would use one as a donor, but the wheels with disc brakes are attractive. Emma has made a lot of nice tadpoles with perpendicular cross members, I don't know that the swept angle of the original Street Fox is particularly magical, but the longer wheelbase and angles, perhaps combined with a bit of flex in the mild tubing, give a very nice ride on our 'Fox. And, very little bump steer nor brake steer. I do want to upgrade many parts, though! The cheap Falcon indexed shifting doesn't work well, and even as short as the brake cables are, the stamped sidepull brakes take quite a bit of effort. But, our 'Fox was my first effort at building, and I went pretty low rent on the donor bikes, with the idea that if the frame worked well, we could always upgrade. I'm also on the lookout for a 26 or 29 inch thrift shop mountain bike with a swingarm that could bolt on to the brackets that are in place. The 24 inch wheel is really rather poor, it has a steel rim and the knobby tire is a drag, literally. It will be interesting seeing if I can adjust the suspension enough with a larger wheel as to conserve the nice handling, and the seat angle, which Tracy really likes.

Best wishes, Don

Skipper Dan
05-25-2016, 11:30 AM
It is just rider control. I do not have problems, but my wife cannot control both wheels at the same time and just jams on one brake. I am working on it though.