PDA

View Full Version : Spatter control

Big Moe
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I cut apart worn out leather welding gloves and use the pieces to shield from welding spatter on adjacent parts. What do you guys use?

Does anyone make a true welding sandal? Mine don't work so well.

Moe - 3 wheels and an old crank.

trikeman
08-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I use a small putty knife and a flap disc to just knock of the splatter when I am welding with flux core wire. Clean up is pretty easy. When I stick weld its definitely the flap disc.

Richie Rich
08-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I weld with flux core and use a "Spatter Guard" spray. It comes in an aerosol can or pump bottle. You can find it at major hardware chains that sell welders or your local welding supply store.

Some guys have also tried "PAM", the stuff used in the kitchen to keep food from sticking to the pans. I haven't tried it yet, so can't comment.

.....Richie Rich.....

trikeman
08-07-2008, 12:38 AM
I have tried the spray stuff, but really don't find the spatter from flux core to make it worth the trouble to grease everything up.

Big Moe
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I use a wire wheel to clean up welds and spatter and sometimes follow up with the sander. I'll try the Pam or one of the other sprays. My main concern is when you need to do a weld near a part you don't want burnt or marred, such as a derailler, or maybe even a tire in line with spatter. (When you don't want to dissassemble the bike for a quick weld).

Moe

savarin
08-07-2008, 04:15 AM
I dont seem to get much spatter but occasionally some large ones appear. I just knock them off with a small sharp chisel.
For protection I use gallon cans where I've cut the tops and bottoms off and the resulting sheet is thin enough to wrap around most parts.

Sparky
08-07-2008, 09:21 AM
when i an working near something i dont want spatter on, i just use cardboard as a shield. it doesnt help for spatter on the joint that i'm welding, more of a cover for tires or gears or other type things i dont want spatter to fall into.

and yes, it has caught on fire, but not as often as you might think. i think the little bits of molten steel are either cooling to fast, or moving too fast to stick around and light the paper.

course, i always try to have a fire extinguiser at the ready also. :D

for shoes, i'm usually out there in shorts and sneakers. and my toes and ankles have paid the price!

SirJoey
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I cut apart worn out leather welding gloves and use the pieces to shield from welding spatter on adjacent parts.

That's a good idea, Moe. I just tossed one in my shop trash can about a week ago. I'll have to dig it out.

I normally use the wire wheel in my angle grinder, which cleans most of it up beautifully.

For the occassional bigger ones that won't come off with the wire wheel, I do like Savarin, & use a small, sharp chisel.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Richie Rich
08-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I've had pretty good luck using a couple layers of household aluminum foil to protect delicate areas from spatter. It's easy to shape to the part(s) and you just ball it up and toss it when done.

====<RR>====

Big Moe
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Good idea Rich. It would work for a lot of areas. Thanks.
P.S. - I tried it over my sandals but it hurts my toes to walk!
Then I tried wet cardboard but it squishes between my toes, yuch!!

Moe - three wheels and an old crank.

SirJoey
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I've had pretty good luck using a couple layers of household aluminum foil to protect delicate areas from spatter. It's easy to shape to the part(s) and you just ball it up and toss it when done.

Good tip, Richie! I'm gonna start keeping some out there.
It'll make a good cap, too, for when the UFOs fly over...

n9viw
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Not much to add here- I use a chisel for the biggies and a flap disk for the small ones, and damn the spatter elsewhere. On the few occasions I've really wanted to protect a particular area, I have a sheet of 3/32" rubber that I can drape over parts and conform to them.

As for the shorts and sandals, ARE YOU GUYS NUTS?! I would NEVER do that... um... wait, I have done that. <blush> Yeah, my wife wants to know how I get holes in the TOPS of my socks, I just stay mum and grab the darning egg.

I wish I had saved my old combat boots... I had a pair that absolutely rotted out along the bottom, between the sole and the side. Had I saved them, I could have cut them up the back and added a couple velcro straps, and just slip them on over my sandaled feet. Maybe eight years from now when my current ones blow out (they're already starting to go), I'll try that. Welding slippers! What will they think of next?! :D

Big Moe
08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Nick - what's with you, what a faux paux, SOCKS with your sandals. I don't care how good your welding is - Paris ain't gonna call you now!
Your combat boot spats idea might be a winner though.

MOE - three wheels and a broken spoke.

TheKid
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
We used to laugh at a guy who wore golf sandals. Not because the sandals had spikes, but because he wore socks! He said he didn't like gnats and mosquitos biting his feet, nor dew on the ground when he played early mornings.
If you weld wearing sandals, galoshes or rubber overshoes might be a good, cheap, investment.

Richie Rich
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
REAL men weld naked...!!!

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/YJdana44/welding.jpg

locolarry
08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
REAL men weld naked...!!!

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/YJdana44/welding.jpg
If that's true then you'll just have to call me "Boy"

SirJoey
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
That guy's a sissy. Look, he's still wearing a glove, a tee-shirt, flip-flops & a welding helmet.
Personally, I'd be doing it in just the shorts & a pair of those wrap-around sunglasses! :rolleyes:

savarin
08-11-2008, 05:02 AM
having been there and done that my worst case of radiation burn was when unbeknown to me my overalls had popped open at the neck whilst I was running a stainless fill with tig in 3" thick section at hellishly high amps.
I couldnt feed the rod fast enough and was welding the section on a turntable so had to go pretty fast.
This was years ago and I still have the triangle mark to prove it.

I dont know whats worse,sandals or boots, the small ouches on bare skin compared the the huge scream when a giant blob of slag flows down the open boot top.

n9viw
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Had that happen, too... NEVER blouse your boots! NEVER! :eek

The only time I weld in less than full regalia is if I have a quick spot to throw - a tine broke off my wife's favorite garden fork, I need to put a brace on a bent handle, etc. But if it's an involved job, such as the 1/8" plate bracing I put on the Jeep's frame as a band-aid fix for a big crack, I'm in boots, jeans, jacket, and gloves. I've even considered adding a French Foreign Legion-style 'cape' to the back of my helmet, to prevent arc reflection and debris, but I haven't done that part yet.