PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Recumbent Trike/Transport Wheelchair

Leprkan
07-23-2016, 02:45 AM
I need to find/make a recumbent trike that I can convert into a transport wheelchair for myself (e.g. something that can be pushed and steered from behind). After searching the forums Health & Fitness was the only place that seemed fitting to post this.
Due to the nature of my illness/disabilities the lack of maintained sidewalks, streets, and parking lots, and the lack of curb cuts means trying to get around day to day in a regular wheelchair causes me immense pain (every jolt, bump, and jerk feels like my insides are being shredded). Reclining wheelchairs with elevated leg rests that are meant for outside use are far, far, far out of my price range. Anything deemed a "medical" device ends up horrifically overpriced in this world, not to mention also typically being poor quality.
We don't have the ability to do any machining, but may be able to get access to the 3D printer on campus if that would help. The "joys" of being disabled means my funds are extremely limited. I'm going to have to crowd source the funds for whatever design we're able to come up with, but I need a feasible design first.
I think the base design that would work the best would be a two front wheel, one back wheeled trike with handlebars mounted to the back tire and steering lines running from the front wheels to the handlebars. I also need it to collapse small enough to fit in the trunk of a 2004 Ford Taurus.
From searches it looks like something like the ICE Adventure Trike (http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-trikes/adventure) (waaaaay out of my price range) would be my best bet, especially something with an adjustable recumbent seat. I don't need chains, gears, and pedals since it would be pushed from behind, but hand breaks are a must. I'll be mounting a footrest where the peddles would typically be, and armrests some how as well.

I did some playing in photoshop to give a general idea (using the ICE Adventure as my template). Here's the image. (http://i.imgur.com/6cAs1Xp.jpg) It's too big to fit in my post.

Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated. :clover:

HHJJ
07-23-2016, 04:36 AM
Hello and welcome Leprkan.

Hmmmm. Well here's a sidewinder rear steer tadpole trike for consideration.
http://www.sidewindercycle.com/
Which is I think the only production rear steer tadpole trike I have come across.

Here's example of a rear steer delta trike
http://www.ihpva.org/projects/tstrike/rws.htm

This details steering characteristics.
http://www.jetrike.com/tadpole-or-delta.html

Here's a rear steer tadpole thread (unfortunately some of the interesting links don't work but the clues and a bit of googling might find stuff).
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=48159

Will the machine only be pushed by someone else or propelled by yourself?
Are you considering electric power? (Twinkle on this forum has made a few electric assist tadpole trikes).

You could add in suspension from a suspension mountain bike and or fatter tyres.
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/balloonbikes.html

I'll leave it to the other experienced and engineering folks here to fill out more detail.

Good luck with your build.

The Cat
07-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Morning Leprkan, yes all commercially built bicycles or trikes are seen as luxury vehicles for disabled person.
But with a little ingenuity and bicycle bits a useful but low cost vehicle can be built.
The vehicle will be suited to you as you are the designer.

Leprkan
07-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Sitting here sobbing now because I checked out the Sidewinder and realized it's practically perfect for the base concept, so I called...
The current own of the company actually bought it with the idea of building an "adult stroller"!!! I just spent half an hour on the phone with him discussing concepts and how to adjust it to suit my needs and for him to get back into his original idea! He knows my financial situation and is willing to work with me and help me get it set up how I need it and I'm probably going to cry all day because for once something in my life since I first got sick seems to be going right! :clover:

THANK YOU HHJJ! Thank you, thank you, thank you :heart:

:wheelchair:

HHJJ
07-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Corrr!

Well done for sorting things out with the Sidewinder chap.
I do have some concerns about how the steering and pushing with the one rear wheel will work, but problems will be solved.

You're on the road now to getting it designed and built, and there are many helpful folk on this forum to aid with the designs.

Have a smile and a good day instead.

Glad to be of assistance.
H

Leprkan
07-23-2016, 06:34 PM
It's happy tears, ALL the happy tears, crying and laughing and looking like a loon :wacky: LOL Hurting myself in the process since crying causes pain, but I can't help it, I'm too happy right now. Oh! And his shop is only 3 1/2 hours from me (I drive that far once a month for pain management) so I could feasibly even go up to see him to work on the concept! :heart:

:clover:

HHJJ
07-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Jolly Good!

gir.
07-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Man, I wish I could "like" this thread infinitely. Absolutely love this forum. Everyone is extremely helpful.

In keeping with Zombie tradition, don't forget to post pics when she's all done. :D

Leprkan
07-26-2016, 06:02 AM
Will do, just might need someone to occasionally "bump" the thread so I don't forget (short and long term memory loss is shite). Thank you all so much *tries to not start crying again*

Leprkan
08-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Well, I guess my "luck" has kicked in. I haven't heard back from the Sidewinder owner since I first contacted him on July 23rd (I even emailed him again on the 2nd to check in). Looks like I'm back where I started. :(

*Irish accent*
"If 'eh wernt fer bad luck Ah'dav no luck a'tall."

Twinkle
08-09-2016, 03:54 PM
On holiday maybe or not 😢

Leprkan
08-12-2016, 07:02 AM
"It can't rain all the time" I play that song on repeat a lot :(

darnthedog
08-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Will do, just might need someone to occasionally "bump" the thread so I don't forget (short and long term memory loss is shite). Thank you all so much *tries to not start crying again*

You can always find your own thread by looking at your profile and click on latest started threads. And last posting to see where you responded to posting your found interesting.
That way you do not have to rely on your memory- the forum does it for you. Just to remember to look at your profile.

Leprkan
08-25-2016, 04:17 PM
And now the desperation sets in.
I somehow managed to screw up my left leg today (pulled something starting at my Achilles tendon, shooting up to the back of my knee) and can no longer put weight on my left leg, e.g. I can't walk anymore. I figured I had a least another year or two before I completely lost mobility, looks like I was wrong. I say "somehow", but I know how. It's because I always end up putting most of my weight on my left leg when I walk, to try and ease the pain in my right leg. And, because it's my "luck", anything I do to ease one pain always creates another.
Dear Zod, the rage involved in trying to get around this tiny shithole apartment, even in my undersized transport wheelchair! Because why make hallways and bathrooms wheelchair accessible, right? *sighsob*

I need a Recumbent Trike/Transport Wheelchair now even more, not for use inside, but to be able to get around outside at all. I'm essentially permanently housebound as of today.

I don't know what to do anymore. I just don't know.