PDA

View Full Version : studded 20 inch tires for winter!

theTman
08-07-2008, 10:25 PM
i have a pair of 26 inch innova studded tires, and i was wondering if i could use one on the back wheel of the meridian i plan to build, but then i realized that i need studs up front to steer. i googled 20" studded bike tires and i found some good ones the same brand as my current ones.
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=IKSFS&tn=0
it figures since bmx racing is somewhat popular, and i think there are ice bike races on lake millacs when it's frozen in minnesota here.

Sparky
08-08-2008, 02:15 AM
neat. but do you really want to be riding a bicycle on ice?

i wouldnt. a trike or quad, sure. might be fun. 2 wheeler? seems too easy to hurt oneself.

but then i'm a southern boy, and aint never seen a frozen road. :)

theTman
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
i rode daily in winter with steel studded tires on my crappy magna dual shock bike. the studs work good on ice, but most of the time the roads are clean. the studs slow you down 2-5 mph on pavement. it really comes in handy on my dirt road by my house as it is usually packed slick ice. We minnesotans are used to the cold. In the winter when it hits 40 degrees i walk around in short sleeves and jeans comfortably. Our bodies adjust to the cold so 35-40 degrees feels like 60-70 does in the summer. Oh, and my church youth group up at camp last winter went swimming in a hole chainsawed in the ice of the lake. and i had to run through 8' deep snow with an ice crust on top through woods a few hundred yds without my glasses in nothing but swimming trunks. Of course we came out of a sauna first. :p It is quite refreshing. you get really hot nd sweaty and clear out your pours, and then jump in the ice cold water to wash off the sweat and close the pours. it is actually good for you. also it is not as painful as when you go from a hot tub to rolling in the snow to back into the hot tub hurts due to the temp change. it is awesome.

dmaddalena
08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh to be 17 again!