View Full Version : About time I started this then.

Duncan uk
08-07-2016, 03:41 PM
A bit over a year ago I bought plans for a street fox and a spirit with a view to commuting to work once I had moved closer.
So Now I've moved closer to work and discovered that the street fox won' fit down the track between me and work. As the track keeps me away from traffic all the way to work it is worth using so I have settled on building a spirit. However it is a track so I intend to use 26" wheels both ends fitted with big apple tyres to smooth the way.
I have plans, steel and a selection of bikes sourced from the intranet at work.
So far I have an alloy framed trek hybrid, a chro-mo framed mountain bike and an as yet uncollected mystery machine. Who would have thought it would be so hard to find a cheep and cheerful steel framed bike!
If the mystery machine isn't steel I might look at making my own bottom bracket and head tube. I have a lathe and many years ago I was a fitter turner so I should be able to manage.
Progress may be slow I have a house, a wife and 2 kids demanding my time as well.
Oh and as the first half mile is up hill it will have a motor as well.

08-07-2016, 08:49 PM
....I fabricate my own BB shells and headtubes for my builds, and if you have a lathe then you're one up on me. With the BB shell, not sure if you intend to cut a thread yourself. With mine, I've tried two methods successfully. One is using a threadless BB - readily available on ebay. The other method, make an American sized BB shell, then get some adapter cups to convert it to standard English threaded, and easy then to install a regular BB..........

Duncan uk
08-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Hi Frank, One of things stopping me progressing this build has been my dithering about how to do the bottom bracket. I have considered using a press fit BB and if my turning skills don't come back to me that is my fall back position. I hadn't considered using an American BB, I'll add that to my pool of things I might try.

Duncan uk
08-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Well I thought it was going so well. I made the rear forks extra wide to accommodate the big ben tyres I am using. Unfortunately I didn't make them extra long.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/Duncan_Couchman69/DSCF3975_zpsfclf8ck2.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Duncan_Couchman69/media/DSCF3975_zpsfclf8ck2.jpg.html)

Time for my first grind off and try again. In spite of how it looks it looks it is inline, no that that matters. My next trick is resizing images.