PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New Builder from Roswell NM

Moosecavator
12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
I am pretty excited to be here. I took early retirement about 18 months ago so I could work for myself and not the "MAN". I purchased a set of AZ plans MANY years ago but have never had the chance to get with the program. too many fires to put out after work and on the weekends. About 20 years ago I had a terrible truck accident that left me without transportation. I was not in a situation that allowed me to get another car or truck so I decided to put what funds I had into a bicycle. Long story short, I road that bike 24/7/365 until I had enough to get another truck. I did so for 3 years and just over 13,000 miles on the same odometer. I caught the bug of cycling and have never looked back. the long hours I spent on the bike to and from work everyday allowed me time to think about stuff. I built may own trailers and purchased all the tools to repair my bike from Park tools. (I got them all :rolleyes4: ) needless to say I have had a great time in the learning process. that's about all I will say about myself. which comes to why I have joined the AZ crowd.

One week ago I was researching a drive system that I had designed many years ago while riding my bike. I have watched every YouTube video on recumbents and trikes and also did a search (the best I could) of the US Patent Office to see if someone had already designed it. then low and behold on a 2010 AZ forum post by Peter T who was replying to Uncle Fred's Linear pedaling idea, it appeared. Peter T was the individual that was posting when I saw that he was working on a design very similar to the one I had been working on all these years. it was to have a linear reciprocating design that used a left and right freewheel on the rear hub. for lack of a better term I will call it a cam actuated drive system. the reciprocating cams drive the front sprockets (bottom bracket where the pedals would be) the design is about 3 times more efficient (from a torque perspective) as is the standard rotary pedaling method used on 99.99% of all bikes.

the last post I saw that Peter T posted was back in 2015. is he still around?

anyway, like I said I am excited to be part of the AZ crowd. I am not much of a photographer but I will try to document/post my build on this forum. I have the bike about half built and am finishing up on the cam actuated drive system.

Future plans: One thing I know for sure is that come hell or high water I am going to Battle Mountain, NV in September of 2017 with or without the bike. what is life without a bit of passion.

Twinkle
12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum from the UK

Regards Emma