PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight

greenevegiebeast
02-02-2017, 05:31 AM
Ok Zombies.....

I need a BULLET PROOF. trike.

A trike you could park a tank on and not hurt it. A trike equivalent of a monster truck, for daily riding.....

My thought was using larger heaver box tube as the frame. As well as duel rear wheels, and a 48 spoke front... disc brakes all around. Maybe electric assist.

Has it been done before??

DannyC
02-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Yes.
My Original Street Fox (sitting derelict in my Garden) was built from 2.5mm thick 40 x 40 box tube.
It is so OTT its not true. LOL.

The penalty is that it is significantly heavier than the standard gauge trike. :-)

Twinkle
02-02-2017, 06:39 AM
I got a pair of 48h quando hubbed disc brake wheels of a bmx , l would think 3 x 48h bmx wheels with 14mm axles should be ok otherwise you need to get a set of 15mm silver steel axles made up as they should prove ok.

Most 20mm hubs are 32 or 36 hole.

Danny 's trike frame would survive a nuclear bomb , I have seen it and helped lift it.

Regards Emma

ken will
02-02-2017, 09:20 AM
If you like white-walls, there is a pair of very strong wheels with tires for sale in Humble Texas.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mpo/5978384985.html

greenevegiebeast
02-03-2017, 01:26 AM
weight of the trike isn't a concern... I need STRENGTH!!!

greenevegiebeast
02-03-2017, 01:28 AM
that's what I need.... think KING KONG ON A TRIKE......

maddox
02-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Weight not an issue? Sorry, or you'll be deadly slow due the huge gear ratio, or you will need assist. (for electric, I would look towards the UK firm Alien Power (http://alienpowersystem.com/))

If I would start a project like this, I would search for moped wheels and work from there , adapting the Atomic Zombie plans to fit the wheels in.

maddox
02-03-2017, 04:17 AM
that's what I need.... think KING KONG ON A TRIKE......

I'm big guy, but I need to lug my own mass around too. All 250lbs of it.
Add 100 lbs of good build bike and 250lbs of cargo, and I would be pushing around 650 lbs.

My 125 cc scooter has 9 kw and gets to me and my wife for a simular weight up to 55mph.

greenevegiebeast
02-04-2017, 03:02 AM
ok, 450lbs on any thing is not fast......

Sence when have you seen an Elephant in a sports car, or a whale driving a speed boat....

I'm not deluding my self. I know it will be slow, to start. But gravity momentum and sheer force of will (and a good will, and medical plan for the future heart attack) are GREAT THINGS!!!

greenevegiebeast
02-04-2017, 03:06 AM
i have ridden a 49cc scooter. It wasnt fast..... but it moved......

I already use my trikes to go grocery shopping. I have loaded as much as 75lbs on the trike with my fat backside..... the worst thing that happened was when I Turtled trying to climb a VERY STEEP OF ANGLED HILL. that was fun.........NOT!!

greenevegiebeast
02-04-2017, 03:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the scooter tire idea. I want something with a larger diameter at least 20" , electric assist is most likly in tbe future for this project. Also, I like the idea of eather a duel rear axle or a duel wheel design... Crazy yes..... But it fits my peronality!!! BIGGER THAN LIFE AND TWICE AS UGLY!!!!

I live in a college town, full of Kids driving JACKED UP, BIG TIRED, DEISEL BURNING, MONSTER TRUCK WANNABES!!!! I NEED TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT GRABS THEIR ATTENTION AND SAYS, BACK OFF I'M CRAZYER THAN YOU!!!!

ken will
02-04-2017, 09:56 AM
ok, 450lbs on any thing is not fast......
Sence when have you seen an Elephant in a sports car, or a whale driving a speed boat....
I'm not deluding my self. I know it will be slow, to start. But gravity momentum and sheer force of will (and a good will, and medical plan for the future heart attack) are GREAT THINGS!!!

You will be surprised how fast you can go! The weight will slow down the acceleration, but, once you get rolling on a smooth surface with tall, high pressure tires, the weight doesn't matter as much.

The most I have weighed is 276 lbs., but when towing a 40 lb. trailer with a 110 lb. dog, I was pushing almost as much weight as you and I could cruise at 18 mph.
It did take a while to get up to speed and the hills really slowed us down!

greenevegiebeast
02-04-2017, 10:42 AM
that was my thought, the 26inch fat tires on my schwinn have really done well. The only issue I have had was due to the roll over. When I fliped it I broke a few spokes.... and didnt notice it till I broke 14 out of 32 spokes......oopse.

darnthedog
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Considering Charlie_r has hauled 650 lb of newspapers for delivery with a Loderunner, I think upping to 2 in square 16 gauge mild steel should work for you. There is no need to super size the gauge due to your super sizing. That way the weigh penalty will be reduced to yourself verses yourself and the trike. As to gearing there is plenty of ideas in using a jack shaft to increase the gearing. I suspect the tilting over was do to the center of gravity was way too high for the angle approached. Charlie_r was using 48 spoke 20 inch tires. And a recent silly video showed a guy run a 700C bicycle tire on a Car to prove how strong they were. So over all the mountain is all in the mind. If you up the tubing to 2" you will have a pretty strong frame to carry your bulk. After all I doubt the Schwinn is more than 16 gauge. And mass take time to build up speed. So I believe you could get up to a decent speed give the time to build yourself up.
But it really is up to you as to how to build you bike. It is a custom built to you. I can hardly wait to see what you come up with.

greenevegiebeast
02-05-2017, 12:54 AM
the broken spokes were result of the fall. And yes the center of gravity is high. The driveway that cuased the issue, is steep, and banked as well. When the trike started turning, I knew I was going down...... Unfortunately I had a load of groceries in The basket. Luckly the groceries stayed in the basket, unluckily the trike and the groceries were on top of me........