PDA

View Full Version : StreetFighter Recumbent Racing QuadCycle Questions

jaxenro
07-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Hi
Just a few questions (knowing they are customized by builder but average)

1. Wheelbase

2. Wheel Track (width between the two front wheels or the two back wheels)

3. Wheel Diameter (would it work with, say, 26" wheels)

4. Frame looks like square steel tubing could I use something lighter? Carbon fider?

5. Could I fit a lightweight body shell?

Thanks

darnthedog
07-06-2017, 11:28 PM
The choices you refer to are all about your desires.
The plans go over your measurements in detail. Width, track, length will be depedent on the rider you build it for.
The plans are designed for square tubing to be welded. Any other materials you'd have to engineer yourself to be safe.
Light weight shell is possible again at your own designing.
As to wheel size, it would really depend on the type was riding you are planning. If your going up and down hills a lot, you may want to keep the smaller wheels for the gear ratio advantage. Same if your going to be wild riding or have an excessive mass to push around. If your riding flat hard pack trails or cruising down the road then 26 or larger would be fine in my opinion. But we all have opinions.
I recommend you get the plans and read through then at least 2 times before getting anything. Read 1 time straight through. Next read pay attention to the angles and length and how to measure,for yourself.
I would also recoomend a 6 pack. Saves you money for lots of good insights as to how to.
Welcome to the fun and be sure to share as,you build and include photos as we love to see the progress regardless of the good the bad and the ugly.

Twinkle
07-07-2017, 03:28 AM
Fanton's nephew is a thread on here of one build of a velo using this plan and standard ply body construction for a velo.

The plans as dtd stated are for a steel welded chassis but if you are "clever enough " once you have the angles worked out it could be made in other materials .

On my experimental quad , the quadem , a converted tadpole, we had a centre sprung setup.

As for larger wheels personally I think it's a bad idea,but each to his own .

The tandem quad was a big beast to store so after a year it was converted to 2 singles.
Search "quadem project".

Welcome to the forum from the UK

Regards emma

jaxenro
07-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Thank you both for the answers. Doing a lot of reading I think sticking with the steel may be the way to go. What I need now is to buy the plans and look for a good side view photo with a person on it to see if my body style will work

darnthedog
07-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Thank you both for the answers. Doing a lot of reading I think sticking with the steel may be the way to go. What I need now is to buy the plans and look for a good side view photo with a person on it to see if my body style will work

There are a few photos in the Gallery, be sure to check out concepts and fun vehicles as well. We had a CAD guy on here looking at designing bodies. But I don't believe he actually built one. They were pretty neat over laying Brad's photos.

Out of Curiousty, Why a quad and not a trike? There are several plans that would take a nice Velo body. And Trikes have more legal options for being on the roads in many local's.

Twinkle
07-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Generally its the knees that are the problem, on the UK racing pedal cars they cut out the area so the knees can rotate properly.
But they are not fully covered . From the plan it is possible to draw out the profile before you build to get the shape of the chassis right .

The chainline is a significant "problem" in getting a good chainline and ground clearances .
How do I know !.

There are a few UK based quad racing sites on Facebook and the rules for racing these machines ,

Good luck if you accept the mission .

Regards Emma

jaxenro
07-07-2017, 08:23 AM
I like the quad body design. I am working one up sort of a cross between the Stutz LSR car of 1928 and the Rolls Royce concept car from last year. If I can make it light enough and raise the hood line to clear the knees

http://i.imgur.com/mwXjDtK.jpg

jaxenro
07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
I also thought of it as a trike (1R, 2F) like this. I know I am sort of going about it half backwards in that I am designing the body and then looking for a chassis to fit instead of designing the body to fit the chassis

http://i.imgur.com/Jymg590.jpg

jaxenro
07-07-2017, 01:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/skYwuId.jpg

darnthedog
07-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Google Battle Mountain HPSC ( Human Powered Speed Challenge). Quit a few bodies there to see how they build light weight bodies. Many have frame incorporated in to the body build rather than build a chassis and body separate. This is to give you ideas on how they work and not to discourage your ideas. Information is the goal.

Twinkle
07-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Your design would benefit from a linear pedal system to keep the bonnet height lower and a lower seating position .

There is another thread in here somewhere on a "jaguar XK " theme velo using side by side seating

regards emma

jaxenro
07-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Google Battle Mountain HPSC ( Human Powered Speed Challenge). Quit a few bodies there to see how they build light weight bodies. Many have frame incorporated in to the body build rather than build a chassis and body separate. This is to give you ideas on how they work and not to discourage your ideas. Information is the goal.

I came here for information so any help steering me in the right direction is appreciated not discouraging.

Twinkle
07-07-2017, 04:16 PM
here is the other one

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/10336-Retroaster-Mk2/page2?highlight=jaguar+velo

jaxenro
07-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Really nice I like it. I was thinking of a fiberglass body formed over shaped foam. I have made these for models boat hulls and stuff before just not this big. I am leaning towards a tadpole trike like the TriCruiser rear end but maybe with the StreetFighter front as I like that layout better but will study both plans. I deleted the canopy idea thinking it would be too difficult to form and went with an open design. I also worked up trike and quad versions. The body is really just an long rectangle with rounded top and bottom and pods to cover the wheels. I was also thinking a hub mounted electric unit for the rear wheel so the tadpole design works well with that. I think it has a clean 1930's roadster look to it

http://i.imgur.com/12us0wT.jpg

jaxenro
07-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Last drawing (I promise) I worked up the design based on measurements of a typical person plus some self measurements of myself. Close enough for preliminaries. I started cutting out templates for a 1:6 scale proof of concept using foam and fiberglass if everything seems to line up and work out I will start the full size one when that's done adjusting my plans based on what I learn from the scale model

http://i.imgur.com/QWT7zNN.jpg

PeterT
02-23-2018, 04:55 AM
For a linear pedal system, study the one I have built in my thread "Down Under Fast Recumbent Quadcycle F-RQ".