PDA

View Full Version : Good evening from Finland

ananasgalleria
12-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Anni from Finland and really looking forward to start my first recumbent-project, apparently a swb.

Merry Christmas, by the way!

-Anni-

willym
12-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Welcome Anni. Looking forward to seeing your work. My SWB is almost done, and I'll be posting some photos when I finish it in the spring.

Ox76
12-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Hello Anni and welcome to this great forum! There are many pictures in the gallery to look at which is always fun for me. There is lots of knowledge here and many smart and practical people to help you if you have any questions.

Twinkle
12-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Welcome from the UK

darnthedog
12-24-2017, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the fun. I look forward to the picture myself. So please feel free to share regardless of your skills. It helps us to help you when you have questions.

ananasgalleria
12-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Oh, I feel really welcome here, thanks!

I surely post pictures as soon as there's something to post. I initially planned to build something like the Spirit, for two obvious reasons: Simplicity suits me very well, because welding is out of question in our garage (apartment house above) and secondly, I've only once ridden a recumbent, which left me with an awkward/terrified feelings.

Now, after all too much Christmas-pralines I'm dreaming of a plywood-framework of sandwich-/monocoque -structure. Avoiding steel is not the reason for this but my old interest in wooden structures. There ain't too many references, though.

Regardless the material, is there any usable planning applications nowadays? I tried with Google, quite unsuccessfully (full Autocad is out of question, I'm afraid).

My first recumbent, for light touring.
559 or 622 rear wheel, 20" front. Recycled parts, so V-brakes are fine so far. 3*9 transmission.
Simple beam frame (not a lowrider), adjustable bb. Probably under-seat steering?

Should I just stop dreaming, jump in the deep end and take a hold on steel?

-Anni-

Twinkle
12-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Oh, I feel really welcome here, thanks!

I surely post pictures as soon as there's something to post. I initially planned to build something like the Spirit, for two obvious reasons: Simplicity suits me very well, because welding is out of question in our garage (apartment house above) and secondly, I've only once ridden a recumbent, which left me with an awkward/terrified feelings.

Now, after all too much Christmas-pralines I'm dreaming of a plywood-framework of sandwich-/monocoque -structure. Avoiding steel is not the reason for this but my old interest in wooden structures. There ain't too many references, though.

Regardless the material, is there any usable planning applications nowadays? I tried with Google, quite unsuccessfully (full Autocad is out of question, I'm afraid).

My first recumbent, for light touring.
559 or 622 rear wheel, 20" front. Recycled parts, so V-brakes are fine so far. 3*9 transmission.
Simple beam frame (not a lowrider), adjustable bb. Probably under-seat steering?

Should I just stop dreaming, jump in the deep end and take a hold on steel?

-Anni-

Lother Ko has made several wooden frames including trikes and a rather nice road bike .

I believe there are some in the " gallery"

Regards Emma

ananasgalleria
12-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Thanks a lot, Emma!

Ox76
12-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Wood bike/trike frames have been done before and if you know what you're doing I don't see any reason why it won't work. It'll be interesting to follow your build.

darnthedog
12-26-2017, 11:03 PM
http://www.woodenbikes.com
Here are a couple wooden bikes.
http://www.nupi.nl/index.php?id=8abf5c5a9e if you want no weld steel here is an option as well. It is more like the front runner however. Just no welding.