PDA

View Full Version : Increase Endurance

rnrobert
01-12-2018, 01:21 AM
I live a sedentary lifestyle and it pains me that I can't go past 3Km for a casual ride and slopes. I want to know how biker keeps their health and strength in top form to go long distance. Should I improve my endurance first by jogging?

darnthedog
01-12-2018, 08:27 AM
As we get older we add Electric assist. Swimming, Walking and Treadmills can only do so much to reverse the aging process. But you must do it on a daily basis to improve. Also being sedentary usually allow for weight gain which add to the whole issue. More weight need more energy to move. If this happens to be part of the issue. A diet added to the exercise would be recommended. Sodas and Sugary snack was my downfall. I cut things out and went from 285 to 218. And I road 10 miles a day till it got easier to work. Have to have a goal to go that far.
unfortunately I blew a knee cap in a work related twist and lost my momentum. It take time to build up the endurance. Cannot do it in a week. It is all gradual.

Twinkle
01-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Only everyday exercise can help get fitter along with a sensible diet.

e-assist allows us ( in our later years ) to increase our range and speed , this also allows us to maintain fitness with little rests on the way.

Some of our experiences are documented in the "20/20 e-trikes " and "the continuing story" threads of a pair of OAPs on 3 wheels .
I achieved my aim of 1000 miles last year on 3 wheels , being a diabetic with diverticulitis , high blood pressure and underactive thyroid does not help , but cycling does keep me fitter than sitting around . Some days it is hard just to get the bike out , but once on it the time passes quickly and the miles ramp up.

The e-assist gives me the confidence that if l have problems whist out I can get home safely on my own.

Regards Emma

DannyC
01-12-2018, 12:25 PM
I live a sedentary lifestyle and it pains me that I can't go past 3Km for a casual ride and slopes. I want to know how biker keeps their health and strength in top form to go long distance. Should I improve my endurance first by jogging?
If you are significantly overweight then jogging will only damage your joints (IMHO). Better to slowly and gently increase your riding distance little by little, or get some chocks & a resistance/training roller and ride your trike indoors at no risk or embarrassment until you can manage greater distances. I have done very little this last year and for me the e-assist is my guarantee of getting home. I don't have to use it all the time (though I often do) but in the good weather and the fresh air it is a wonderful feeling to be trundling along in the sunshine. Don't give up!

rnrobert
01-17-2018, 01:48 AM
Nice, I appreciate the advice and insights. I have to take this seriously as I could.

wendel62
01-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Spending 5 to 7 hours per week can improve your stamina.