PDA

View Full Version : web site anomlies ?

stormbird
02-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Hi all

there seems to be a anomaly in the way the web site is working ?

I some times look at the site without logging in ?
I use the New Posts button in the menu bar ?

I log in and post to my threads ?
i use the New Posts button in the menu bar ?

However I get different results , noticeable that if I post on my thread and look in New Posts I cannot see my post ?

of course it could just be a cache problem ?

Linux 13 + Firefox 32bit

Twinkle
02-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Having another problem, windows 8 phone shows vBulletin as the header where windows 10 and windows 10 phone shows the AZ logo on the top left all identical settings onthe machines .

Arn't computers fun ?

regards emma

stormbird
02-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Emma

Ah I lost my AZ logo on my book mark ? now a fancy V must be same thing...

Radical Brad
02-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Recently I had to reinstall the entire forum software on another hosting system.
With that, I opened a can of worms, and had to change the forum version.
I lost most of the PHP code I did, and was just happy that it worked at all.

In the next month or so, I am intending to redo everything once again.
So there will probably be a few more days of down time followed by some glitches.
I am redoing the forum, the main site, and integrating 3 other sites into one hosting.
It isn't something I look forward to, but really needs to be done.

The end goal is the continuation / evolution of AtomicZombie into something much more than just bikes so that I can once again enjoy building things and putting out new information.

It has been too many years, and I miss it!

Thanks for all those who put up with this bleeding edges forum.
I do this in my spare time on Sunday afternoons, so it's certainly far from perfect!

Cheers,
Brad

edspedalcars
02-19-2018, 04:43 PM
The end goal is the continuation / evolution of AtomicZombie into something much more than just bikes so that I can once again enjoy building things and putting out new information.

Thanks for all those who put up with this bleeding edges forum.
I do this in my spare time on Sunday afternoons, so it's certainly far from perfect!

Cheers,
Brad

Go for it Brad.

We're right behind you, all the way.

Just let us know when your going down,
so we can take our 'anti-withdrawal' pills.
https://mylittlelight787.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/nervous-emoji.jpg?w=50

stormbird
02-20-2018, 03:39 AM
Brad

Not criticising , just wondered if it was a pointer to other problems that may become serious.

As Einstein said ' I am only standing on the shoulders of giants ' all the builders on this site are standing on your shoulders , without your books and plans I certainly would not have built any bikes/trikes.

I hope your future ideas come to fruition.

All the best Paul

Ox76
02-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Wow, Brad, I am really looking forward to whatever you have in mind. I'm very curious. If there's anything we can do, please let us know and I'm sure we'll do what we can. I know I will! Thanks for keeping on keeping on.

Radical Brad
02-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Thanks all!

Yes, most likely this aging, cobbled together forum install is heading towards implosion!
I will probably end up just leaving it as an archive and starting something from scratch.
The new forum will be much more organized with far fewer main topics.

My goal right now is to just spend an hour per night on getting everything on a single affordable host.
Right now, I have 4 hosting systems (AZ Forum, AZ Main, Downloads, and what used to be LucidScience).
The system is almost unmanageable now, and certainly not affordable.

Once I get the forum to work on a new Unix hosting, I am going to redo the main AZ site on Wordpress.
I will then roll in LucidScience, and my other adventures into one huge DIY site.

The Plans model has just barely paid for hosting over the last 4 years, so I am also looking at how to pay for this.
I really enjoy the DIY community, but it really has to pay for itself somehow.
Being better at building things than the whole business side, I am looking at several options.

Seems today's model is to just put everything out there and offer printable versions for a small fee.
Maybe I will redo the plans and even include 3D models as part of the "deliverable".
There is also the ads model of course, but I doubt I have the traffic required for that to work!

It's going to be a tough decision.
Not trying to get rich by any stretch, but do want everything to pay for itself.
My day job pays the bills, but it would be nice to turn DIY into at least a partial living somehow.
I know bikes alone will not do it, which is why I want to expand into a lot more content.

Sustainable Living, Fitness Projects, Solar DIY, Electronics, Hunting, Vehicles, Household Hacks, and much more.
Of all the things I am into, bike building was only a small percentage, so I don't have a lack of material!

Anyhow, that's my plan. Unclutter the current web mess, and put the entire thing on steroids!
I only have about 1.5 hours per night to work on it all, but hope to have it done by spring.

The first project for AZ.V2 will be something I call "The Garden Guardian".
This device will move a life-size fake wolf around the yard at random and triggered intervals to scare off deer and other varmints.
The entire project will be solar powered and built using scrap bits from old appliances and cheap hardware store parts.

After that, I may build a solar charged, electric powered walk behind tractor.
From there, maybe a retro video game system, or a DIY ninja gym.
Maybe a human powered washing machine, or a rocket mass heater for a roman hot-tub.

One thing is for sure... I will be doing as many diverse projects as I can!

Thanks again to everyone for keeping the seats warm in this old, run-down coffee house.
I hope to renovate this old joint soon, and get back to work were I belong.

Cheers!
Brad

edspedalcars
02-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks Again Brad

I wait in heightened anticipation :taz:

Ox76
02-21-2018, 11:27 AM
A lot of those ideas and projects have also crossed my mind and planning stages but nothing ever came to fruition. I'm sure you'll get lots of traffic as many of those ideas are pretty popular in today's day and age.

vk3ckc
02-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Hi Brad

For what it's worth, maybe nothing, have a look at http://www.coffeecup.com . They have cheap hosting, can't remember the details, and quite cheap site creation software, etc. if needed. Might be worth a check. You alone know what your coding skills are. I am using quite a bit of their software.

My web site http://www.axerail.coffeecup.com is still under the free allocation but this year will exceed it when I get some additions finished. The "coffeecup" inclusion in the URL is only there because it is free. Once exceeded, it will be its own domain name.

If it all amounts to nothing, please tell me to shut up and I'll go back to continuing my bike butchering. Hope to have some images/details in a couple of months.

Kevin - VK3CKC.

Radical Brad
02-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have a new host, and am working on the AZ-Reloaded site when I can.
The forum is also getting a reboot... new software, better organization.
This one will eventually become an archive.

Brad

bkentr
03-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Hi Brad,

Being so new to this web site makes me feel like i'm late to the party. It seems there are not so many "members" using it at the same time.

The idea of adding different subjects sounds like a good one. Anyone willing to DIY with bikes might already be using DIY for other subjects.

At least it's worked for me. Now approaching 70 and have been a DIY er for most of my life. Looking forward to what you plan to add.

Only one suggestion to add.

Please consider adding another way to reach you, and to make payments for plans or other products.

I, for one, will not use the internet to "buy online" any more after some past trouble. Old fashioned perhaps, but I do not trust the net to be secure
no matter what is said or how popular.

If there was a Post Office box to send to, it might take a month or two, but no sensitive numbers could be hacked.

Of course someone could still steal the mail. there is always some risk.

Sure love the variety of bike builds here AZ. Something for everyone, and any skill level.

Would be fun to see that same variety applied to home, garden, cars/trucks, hobbies, boats or others.

thanks again for your work here. bkentr