PDA

View Full Version : Old Rider, new to this forum

bkentr
03-02-2018, 12:54 AM
Hi,
I'm just another old guy, now 68, who has bicycles as one of his hobbies.

Have been been fixing, hacking and assembling bikes for a few years. Might have joined AZ sooner,
but only recently had high speed internet available around here.

One of my favorite bike hacks has been setting up old BMX bikes for adults.
Started that in 1985. Still have one bike left from that year.

Also have used recycled BMX parts for tandems, trikes, and trailers.
Also set up recycled MTBs and road bikes for upright casual riding.

There is some real fun looking bike stuff here at AZ.
Hope to make some new friends, and more bike stuff.

kent r

edspedalcars
03-02-2018, 02:14 AM
Welcome aboard Kent

It's always nice to see new Zombies.

There is a lot of experience here, in just about any category.
And from your post, I'll bet you will have some tidbits for us as well.

I've got a couple of years on you, and I don't ride, but I enjoy the building,
i.e. Inferno, TurnBuckle Wheel, and now StreetRunner.

FYI - As you may have gathered in your early searching, Zombies need to be fed on photo's.
Photo's also, save a lot of typing...you know ...One picture is worth a thousand words.
Especially if your trying to get help about a particular problem.
See 'Posting Images' on the above header. I chose 'Postimage', but there are other preferences.

Just a suggestion
You could start us off with an appetizer, showing your shop/build area, and a look at your stock pile of 'donor parts'.

You will find friendly help, from Cailif/Washington, to across the pond in the UK, and as far away as Australia.
Be sure your profile is set to send/receive PM's (private messages), not all advice is given in the public forum.

So if you haven't already, check out Brads plans, get a 'six pack', and start your journey, to building your own creation.

And again, welcome aboard

Ed

bkentr
03-02-2018, 02:39 AM
Hi Ed,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I do have a few pics, and have been posting them on another bike forum. Might be wasting them there, i don't race, use drop bars, skinny tires, or big bucks for bikes.

Please advise as where to start, sub forum- gallery- discussions- ??
I did see the sub-forum about shop/tools.

I do still ride, just not fast or far. I get more out of "playing around" with bikes than on them.

My bike builds come in bunches, like bananas, and then back to something else for a while. Have listed other hobbies on profile page.

At present I've got started a 3-wheeled utility trailer, for a friend, an old Viking road bike being set up as a hybrid, a Red Line "Thrasher" BMX that was built into
what I have been calling "Fun Bikes" that was damaged in a garage/shop fire just one year ago (needs to be rerebuilt) , and a Haro aluminum BMX that was also
built into a Fun Bike, (adult upsized BMX) but had it's rear stays melted off in the fire. Have another aluminum rear section from a Trail Along to replace the
melted one.

i found one more question to ask: Can I upload pictures to my profile page and that becomes a gallery that others can access if wanted ?

Happy March, kentr

edspedalcars
03-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Hi Ed,

Please advise as where to start, sub forum- gallery- discussions- ??
I did see the sub-forum about shop/tools.

This early in the game, I would just surf around, anything and everything that tweaks your interest.
Get used to what's where.

There is soooo much information here, its mind boggling.
Maybe have a run through Brad's plans, and especially his tutorials.
You never know what little bit of, .....'I didn't know that' .....you might pick up.

Maybe look at all the 'member ' gallery pictures to see what they have completed.
Especially in the area you are interested in.

As far as your 'hobbies', try posting them to the 'My Other Talent' thread.
There you will see some very cool hobbies that some of the Zombies, are into.

YES ..... Gallery Upload Click on 'Gallery', on the main header...Then click on 'Upload', on the sub-header

Just have fun with it..:)

Twinkle
03-02-2018, 04:39 AM
Hi Kent

Welcome to the forum from the UK,
l am running close to your age and have been building and triking for a few years.

Old age is not a good place to arrive at but the people on here help to brighten up your day with all sorts of projects in progress .

Sit back , enjoy the forum and have a go .

regards Emma

darnthedog
03-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the fun Kent.
Rather than re-posting your photos from other forums you can always post a link to your other forum expanding our knowledge in way you cannot imagine.
Sound like you have been having this fun for a while. So glad to see a new Zombie to share their experiences.

MrIdaho
03-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Veneta Or is just 3.5 hours south of Ryderwood Wa so maybe a trip south is in store this summer if it ever stops raining.
So Welcome to this crazy forum where everyone has fun.

bkentr
03-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Thanks again for your replies.
ED,
Have looked at the member gallery, that's why I joined up.
Will check out the "other talents" thread.

Twinkle,
My day has been brightened just to have a reply sent from Brighten, UK. It's clear that AZ welcomes all ages, which also brightens.

darnthedog,
My photos are scattered all over the "bike Forum" in different threads, and might not be easy to find.
I have been bike-bashing for a while. What is great to see is how any or all of the ideas I've had over the years have been tried,
completed, and posted by others here.

MrIdaho,
3.5 hours on I-5 seem like a long trip to me these days. However you would be welcome here if you were to make the trip.
My wife makes wonderful apple pies, dinner pies, and cookies that we love to share.
I have heard rumors that there was a time once that it stopped raining for a few minutes around here.

bkentr

Twinkle
03-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Quite a few of us this side of the pond , we have years of experience on our side along with aches pains and things that wont go away , still we try and use our e-trikes as much as possible through the year and laugh in the face of old man time .

later's emma

bkentr
03-10-2018, 08:32 PM
There are so many different bikes and levels of builds here at AZ.

The odd and downright crazy stuff lets me see that nearly anything is possible, and the quality finish on many encourage me to
take a bit more time and improve the end results of my own work.

Also, very fun to see builds from all around the globe.

bkentr

FrankCrank
03-11-2018, 03:01 AM
Welcome aboard Kent, from Banglen, Thailand (mostly) and Reading, UK (sometimes).

To date I've built a couple of trikes, a LWB, and a regular DF bike. Recently had 2 unsuccessful attempts at building a SWB from an old doner bike, but lessons learned and all good fun. Hoping to scratch build a SWB when time allows, but even being retired now I seem to get distracted by tons of other stuff. Anyways, hope you find what you want here - great bunch of guys and gals for sure....:)

bkentr
03-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Hi Frank,
Yes, there is lots here at AZ that i'm hoping to find.

Been bike hacking on and off for many years, but am new to this forum.

My favorites have been what I called "fun bikes", using old BMX and upsizing for adults. Now I ruined after seeing all the other stuff on display here.

Was real excited about recumbents about 15 years ago, made several. The LWB was favorite at the time.
One SWB was made from a BMX and was very quick to build. Already had gears added. Just welded on a BB with extension onto the head tube, ran some guides for the chain,
then added a seat with back. Also added underseat steering.
It road fine.
Sold and gave them all away. Have lots of other ideas and concepts to possibly build, as seen in the "gallery".

Thanks for your reply, it's fun to hear from other countries.

bkentr