PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the City of Destiny (Tacoma, WA)

Sixate
08-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Always curious, now getting committed. I have lurked and looked for a while, and then decided to take the plunge. I am an avid upright bike rider, but having to deal with pain in the hands, wrists and elbows is cutting into the enjoyment. After many years of "Hey, look who went bike shopping at Recliner Land," I am ready to make the plunge.

I like the look of tadpoles vs. the deltas, and under-seat steering makes it easier for big guys to get up and down....so a Warrior it is. The idea of building one myself mostly driven by my size. The name Sixate is because that is what I am....6' 8". Size 15 shoes might drive the decision to raise the boom a bit to ensure adequate room for the heel to avoid contact.

Any of you builder in the Pacific Northwest who would like to show off your creations? I would love to get together and check them out and pick your brain.

darnthedog
08-24-2018, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the fun. To raise the boom. I would suggest leaving the main front boom whole from base of seat. Plans call for a cut. But it will not affect frame or handling by not cutting. Might raise it just enough an 1 less joint to worry about.https://s25.postimg.cc/73wjjl0x7/IMG_4856.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/73wjjl0x7/)
Its what I did for a propose racer.

willym
08-24-2018, 11:29 PM
I also left my boom straight. I am 6'2" with size 13 feet. I have plenty of heel clearance.

Sixate
08-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Welcome to the fun. To raise the boom. I would suggest leaving the main front boom whole from base of seat. Plans call for a cut. But it will not affect frame or handling by not cutting. Might raise it just enough an 1 less joint to worry about.https://s25.postimg.cc/73wjjl0x7/IMG_4856.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/73wjjl0x7/)
Its what I did for a propose racer.

Thanks. I’ll add that note to my instructions. I assume I am keeping the 5” and 11” above ground at what would have been the 26” point on the “angled” boom and therefore picking up an inch or so in extra ground clearance.

Sixate
08-25-2018, 01:46 AM
I also left my boom straight. I am 6'2" with size 13 feet. I have plenty of heel clearance.

Cool, big feet are a problem for more than just shoes and socks!

darnthedog
08-25-2018, 02:57 AM
Something like that. I did it for gear and chain clearance. That's 120 tooth custom cut gear. Unfortunately I never got the chance to try it.

MrIdaho
08-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the forum. All the way up to Tacoma Wa.
If you ever get down towards Longview, Vancover, Portland way give me a shot as I reside in Ryderwood Wa.
Just so happens I am building a second Street fox very similar to my E-street fox that I scoot around my little town on. Incorporating 20" wheels w/ disc brakes in front, a 20" or 26" wheel in rear and DIY rear suspension. One of the two street fox's I plan to sell.
Also building a Delta trike for wife that will be ONLY front hub electric and 26" fat tires on rear w/ hydraulic brakes.
Curious your aprox weight? so maybe if your under 275lbs an 1.5" box would work. My present street for I am riding is 2" box w/ 14mm BMX axles and so far no issues going around a corner at 22mph. I was at 270 in January but now down to 240.

Sixate
08-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the forum. All the way up to Tacoma Wa.
If you ever get down towards Longview, Vancover, Portland way give me a shot as I reside in Ryderwood Wa.
Just so happens I am building a second Street fox very similar to my E-street fox that I scoot around my little town on. Incorporating 20" wheels w/ disc brakes in front, a 20" or 26" wheel in rear and DIY rear suspension. One of the two street fox's I plan to sell.
Also building a Delta trike for wife that will be ONLY front hub electric and 26" fat tires on rear w/ hydraulic brakes.
Curious your aprox weight? so maybe if your under 275lbs an 1.5" box would work. My present street for I am riding is 2" box w/ 14mm BMX axles and so far no issues going around a corner at 22mph. I was at 270 in January but now down to 240.

Ryderwood, huh? A nice old logging town. I worked for Simpson before they started selling off timber and paper operations, so I am familiar with logging company towns like Kamilche and Shelton. My other passion is backroads in a Mini Cooper...so i am always looking for an excuse to drive somewhere new and scout routes for Mini club drives. It’s only 85 miles from here to Ryderwood...so an hour the way I drive! We’ll have to arrange something before the weather turns less predictable.

I did what you did...dropped from 285 to 240. Miss my Cherry Coke and Snickers bar...but not the bulge around the middle. I was contemplating a bigger tube as I read through the plans. I was looking at 20mm hubs online, thinking that at my weight the expense is probably warranted as well.

Next step...learn to weld. Which is kind of ironic since I have worked for a welding supply company for over a decade now, but since I am an accountant/payroll guy I just tell customer “You want one of them, I’m the accountant...I don’t know ****.” My lessons will be starting in a couple weeks when our lead tech returns from deep sea fishing.

But like the Shane Company jewelry commercials used to say “Now you have a friend in the [welding] business...”. So when those in the area that are in need of welders, supplies, steel, etc you now know who to contact. We have a pretty constant supply of good quality used welders that either come from our rental operation or customer trade-ins and we have stores from Bellingham to Portland.

MrIdaho
08-25-2018, 06:34 PM
A mig welder is preferred, 110v unit is adequate as well. I am using a Hobart I got as a reconditioned unit, works great.
As far as hubs, I have several pairs of BMX wheels that work quite well. Will hold onto them if your interested but you will need to go with rim brakes (I have a stock pile of new ones).
If you want to drive down then you can ride my "terror trike" It is an electric w/ pedals but the rear chain derailer has been disabled to only run in 2nd gear to be street legal but the motor is a mid drive programmed for 750 watts but it is a 1000 watt motor. trike in LOW gear would peel rubber for about 3ft on blacktop so it has a massive amount of toque. In LOW gear on blocks it showed 14 mph, HIGH gear 38 mph.
Would be insane at 68 years old and getting older each day, Went around a corner at 22 mph and that was scary enough.
Looking forward to meeting up.

Sixate
08-26-2018, 01:13 AM
A mig welder is preferred, 110v unit is adequate as well. I am using a Hobart I got as a reconditioned unit, works great.
As far as hubs, I have several pairs of BMX wheels that work quite well. Will hold onto them if your interested but you will need to go with rim brakes (I have a stock pile of new ones).
If you want to drive down then you can ride my "terror trike" It is an electric w/ pedals but the rear chain derailer has been disabled to only run in 2nd gear to be street legal but the motor is a mid drive programmed for 750 watts but it is a 1000 watt motor. trike in LOW gear would peel rubber for about 3ft on blacktop so it has a massive amount of toque. In LOW gear on blocks it showed 14 mph, HIGH gear 38 mph.
Would be insane at 68 years old and getting older each day, Went around a corner at 22 mph and that was scary enough.
Looking forward to meeting up.

Busy tomorrow...but Saturday or Monday of Labor Day weekend would work (as of now). Or the following weekend. I wanted a look...but a ride wouild be even better!

38 on a bike would be cruising pretty fast with your but six inches off the ground. Sounds like fun to the max.

MrIdaho
08-26-2018, 07:10 AM
can't do Labor day weekend but following weekend looks good?

MrIdaho
08-26-2018, 03:55 PM
The E-trike I ride around town is 1.5 box .065 tubing

Sixate
08-27-2018, 02:21 PM
can't do Labor day weekend but following weekend looks good?

We'll make that weekend work!

Sixate
09-07-2018, 08:41 PM
It's been "one of those weeks!" We just closed our fiscal year...I mean our RECORD fiscal year, so it has been long days of accounting crap. Do you think we can make it work (around potential rain) this weekend?

MrIdaho
09-08-2018, 12:12 PM
It is Saturday 8 am. Today is good as tomorrow I go to church. It is about 1.5 hour drive so you decide?
Will send you a pm