PDA

View Full Version : wanna go fast?

dakidd1
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I built the Street Fighter, with the intention of adding a 40cc tanaka engine to it..... Have done so, and she screams down the road at 38 to 40 mph. Flys up hills, and going down is just plain scary lol
Never have had so much fun in my life before, this is the best of 2 things I love the most in my life past.. The interest I get from allmost every one is wild, and I am sure to send them to AtomicZombie for the plans on how to build this outstanding quad bike. Thank you for all the wonderfull plans I see hear, as bikes, and building my own from scratch is right up my alley....... LOVE IT !!!!!

If any one wants info on the engine kit I used, just ask... Be happy to lead you in the right direction. This bike just rocks !!!! With, or without engine..........

lumo
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
you can drive anything here up to 25km/h without registering (no engine) if you got an engine you have to go through tüv, otherwise police takes your "diamond" and sues you too. (BS here! ;) )

anyway i am curious how you added the engine!

trikeman
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Its always helpful when answering location-related questions, to have your profile reflect where you are. It only takes a few minutes :)

AtomicZombie
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Very cool, thanks!

You beat me to it then. It was always my goal to add a 2.5HP electric and full body to the StreetFighter as well. Maybe someday I will have the time!

Brad

jimFPU
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Pictures!! Let's see Pictures!!

SirJoey
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Pictures!! Let's see Pictures!!

My thoughts exactly!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

jimFPU
08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I want to see them , since this is the one I'm really interested in!

I hope to post pics of my DD's 'Baby Delta Wolf' soon. (It's basically about a foot shorter than a standard Wolf. She is only 7, and by my calculations it should fit someone between 4' and 5'5". Will probably fit my DW (dear wife, in this case) also!

dakidd1
08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Hello,
I wasn't sure I would get a response to my post. I used the Golden Eagle bike engine found at bikeengines.com ........... It uses a belt drive system, but needs a 24 to 26 inch wheel to use there drive wheel attachment that attaches to the spooks of your rim... Had to make a engine mount also, as the kit is made for a 2 wheel bike... The thing I liked the most about this kit is the fact it uses a belt drive system... No worrys about a chain to grease, or come of at high speeds....

Will be happy to get better pics of my install, if anyone would like. And will try to give a more informative response as to how this was done. This is my secound summer, and secound 4 wheel bike ( a 2 seater was the first ) I have done this to. About 2 thousand miles plus in totall distant traveled ... Also had a 3 wheel KMX kart I put 1 thousand miles on, but the ride was to bumpy for me, so I sold it....

Gotta go, have a doc appointment... I'll check back latter...
Ron

trikeman
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow!!!! That is a sweet build. That must one heck of a ride at 40 mph. Who needs a car? I guess it is a car [g]. I have looked at using one of those belt drives on my 26" beach cruiser. Your setup must be quite interesting, since you chose the belt. I guess you had to mount the engine off to one side? Like brad, I thought about putting an electric motor on my DW, but if I do, I will drive the axle that the disc brake is on with a sprocket.

We love pics here - they are very inspiring. I would love to see the drive setup. I want to see the video!

jimFPU
08-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Way cool.

I've gotta get on the ball here and build...

dakidd1
08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I see you can only send 2 pics at a time.... These are a lot closer to the engine and mount.... Don't know how to do a video.. The trick is to get her rolling first by pedaling, and then gradualy give the gas throttle. Once at about 10 to 15 miles an hour the engine will do the rest, unless you have a big hill. Then it time to pedeal in order to keep up the speed on a steap hill... Most hills you just fly right over, though. ( 30 to 35 mph ) Straight aways = 38 to 40 mph Down hills 43 to 48 mph, for a 40cc tanaka engine ( the bigest they sell a kit for at GEBE ). Allthough I have put a 47cc race ready tanaka on her just for, well , I allways have to try something else. Never really satisfied unless I do... that was 44mph straight away, and 53mph down hill. But had to be really light on throttle, as the engine kit is not designed for the extra torqe, and could strip the teath out of the kevlar belt to easy.... But engine seemed to be a lot less in the vibration rating, and that was a big plus. Belts cost 30 dollars a piece to replace, and that is a big minus. So I have decided to stick to the 40cc after all.. The nice thing about 2 cycle engines is the fact that I could ride all day, and not have to wait for thr battery to charge back up. Just add gas and go. 1 tank takes me about 30 miles or so (32 onces I think) I ride this bike back and forth from work ( weather permitting ) all week on less than a gallon of gas.. ( 20 mile round trip )

SirJoey
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Man, that is sweet! Great job!
Truly inspiring piece of work there, dude!
I'd love to see that thing in real life!

AtomicZombie
08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Great!

Brad

jimFPU
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
That thing is so cool. Still burns carbon, but for that price, I'd build a full fairing and drive it to work every day also. I'm only 16 miles round trip.

I've definitely got to get mine built...I wonder how much I could get if I sold my ol' Corolla?

jimFPU
08-22-2008, 08:29 AM
One other thing: how loud is it?

dakidd1
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Being that the engine is right behind my left ear, noise did become a big factor to consider. ( going death in one ear )
I found a web site someplace on how to make your own silencer for a 2 cycle engine, and made my own. Although the high performance exhaust kit I bought for the engine had a silencer come with it. It was not enough for my ears, and also quit heavy. So I made my own out of a small empty paint can, 1/2 inch conduit, and muffler packing from a locall bike shop. Just basicaly got some larg washers, as close as possible to 1/2" opening in them and still fit inside of paint can lid/bottom, to bolt onto the ends of paint can. Pass just enough conduit into the paint can to have about 1/2" or so sticking outside of both ends. Drilled say 6 or more holes into conduit that is going to be inside of can, welded bottom end of can washer to 1/2" conduit that I have allready sealed shut. The lid side of can is not welded so that packing can be added to user preferance for noise. Bottom end of can has 6 holes or more drill through can for exhaust to exscape from, just on outside of welded washer.... The finished can goes on where the originall silencer went, with a hose clamp to hold it in place ( after I cut a straght line through pipe end )

This is both light weight, and mostly quite. So ear plugs are no longer needed........ Thank ***
Ron

lumo
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
you can build a silencer in many different ways.
most ways reduce your power.
some enhance it, how did you build it?
i am curious!

jimFPU
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Maybe I'll just go electric-quiet and no carbon burning, add some solar panels to recharge while I'm out...

dakidd1
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
you can build a silencer in many different ways.
most ways reduce your power.
some enhance it, how did you build it?
i am curious!

Me thinks a picture, or 2 is worth a thousand words.

dakidd1
08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
dakidd1,

What about license and registration issues? Or do the local cops just turn their backs whenever they see you?

I have ridden over 2 thousand miles with 4 wheel bikes the last two years. In town, by police, to work, or just all over the place. On our locall liner paved trials, also. The thing is, I do not make a nuisance of my self. I give people, cars, kids, animals, ect. the RIGHT of WAY at all times. Most, if not all, people are just so curious as to what in the world is coming down the road, that it is the high light of their day (or night) And believe me I want to keep it that way. Slow down to a crawl whenever there is any possible danger to anyone, myself included. Be curtious, respectfull to all. And keep a big smile on your face 8)

Do not give the police a reason to come and see you, and the odds are they won't. Oh yeah, and stay of a roads that you cannot keep up with traffic speeds, as then your a traffic hazzard !!!!! I do ride on side of 50mph roads, as long as there is plenty of room to stay away from white marker line.....

Ron

dakidd1
08-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Well it seems you are determend to rain on my parade, Papa. So go on and rain, my friend. Quote all the law and regulations you can come up with, and I will be a rideing down the road with the biggest smile you have ever seen in a long while..... Life is short, try to find out what you enjoy the most in this world, and then do it !!!!!!! I am allready doing what makes me happy 8)
Ron

AtomicZombie
08-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I drove Sparky...

http://atomiczombie.com/product/Sparky/Sparky15-lg.jpg

on city streets for almost 2 years. Once a cop took interest, but only to see why it made no sound at all.

2000 watt motor, 45Km/Hr top speed!

Brad

Maddog
08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Ron, I don't think Papa is intending to rain on your parade. You have built one awesome machine and you have a right to be proud of it. I think every builder needs a couple of guys like Papa looking over their shoulder, asking the 'what if' questions and giving advise. I don't always agree with Papa, but have to admit he is generally right. Oh, and the only time you HAVE to take Papa's advise is when you pay for it!

AtomicZombie
08-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey, that trike is great! Homebrew rear end?

Brad

AtomicZombie
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Ok, I remember that build - it looks so polished now.

Brad

dakidd1
08-23-2008, 06:15 PM
[quote=papa;9293]To the contrary Ron, I'm merely trying to determine lawful suitability... nothing more. It would be a rainy day indeed, if I invested a sizeable chunk of $ to build with the intent to drive a vehicle such as yours on public roads... only to discover that it was in violation, and vulnerable to any officer (or judge) who decided to legally "rain on my parade".

I built the vehicle shown below. A vehicle specifically centered around Idaho's newly amended Moped laws. This assures that my time and expense won't be suddenly regulated to private property use only... should a cop decide to sudden dislike me:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I see, so your my gaurdian angle I have been looking for all my life. Where have you been? I could of used your help like when....... I kicked that cardboard box like I was at Silver Dome, trying to save the day. Only I forgot there was a cement slab right behind it. And kicked that to........

Well if the price of gas keeps going up , and it will.... And gets so high that no one but the rich can afford to go anyplace, I am willing to bet that a lot of these kinds of bikes will be in use. Right now there is a 6 week waiting list for this paticulare engine kit. I bet that the laws will change alot in the near furture. And I am saving myself big bucks right now, in the present. If I get stoped, or pulled over by officer friedly. I'll play stupid, ( not to far from the truth lol ) and come up with something else. I have sean 3 wheeled tadpole bikes with a sail on them, and crusing right down the road........ hummmmmmmmm Better not, wife will kill me if I spend any more money.
Happy Trails,
Ron 8)

AtomicZombie
08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe I will find a way to Stealth mount the 2.5 HP electric motor on the StreetFighter when I get the chance to work on it again. Should be easy to make the batteries, controller and motor look like a load of groceries if I make a fake lid out of can tops and milk cartons. maybe a few plastic veggies in there as well.

Brad

savarin
08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Well if the price of gas keeps going up , and it will.... And gets so high that no one but the rich can afford to go anyplace, I am willing to bet that a lot of these kinds of bikes will be in use. Right now there is a 6 week waiting list for this paticulare engine kit. I bet that the laws will change alot in the near furture.

Dont hold your breath. Our local paper held a story regarding the ever increasing price of fuel and in the same issue mentioned the new laws banning all powered bicycles from roads, pathways and cycle tracks.
The law is not about logic.

jimFPU
11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
OK I finally went to the site and looked at the kits there. Tell me something: would an old gas-powered weed eater type engine work?

John Lewis
11-07-2008, 08:38 PM
OK I finally went to the site and looked at the kits there. Tell me something: would an old gas-powered weed eater type engine work?

I think the little Honda 4 strokes ( Honda GX 30 and the like) are better.

Disabled guy here has a Honda GX30 on a trike. He runs it through one of those right angle worm drives to gear it way down.

I've seen several bent examples with them on the net. Here new they run about $300 AU and about 1 horsepower I think. A centrifrugal clutch is availabe.

The 2 strokers have durability problems from what I've read. But an old weedeater motor would be OK to experiment with.

One of the chaps at the local welding works lost his licence. He made one up from a weedeater motor, a belt drive and with a friction roller running on the rear wheel of his mountain bike. That thing went over 40kmh no trouble.

John Lewis

dakidd1
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Well it seems winter is comeing soon here in Michigan. So I will be putting up my quad for the comfort of my recliner. Happy to say I have put 1590 miles on this wonderfull 4 wheel bike you have designed, without any problems what so ever from my local authorities. Have put a lot of smiles on a lot of people faces as I screemed down my local paved roads and trails all over Calhoun County, expecially my own !!!!!! 8) Have goon as fast as 49mph at times, but usally holds to around 40mph on straight aways.

Thank you guys here at Atomic Zombie for being so creative. This has been one great summer.............. On a scale from 1 thru 10, I would give this site an 100. Happy Trails,

Ron

dakidd1
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Just a little update,

I have got about 1900 miles on this bike so far. GEBE has broken in and she cruses at about 40 mph on the straight aways. Really a joy to ride. Just had it out today. Been really buzy with 2 bike builds this year, otherwize my milage would be far greater by now. Went bye my local bike shop downtown and saw a group of them getting ready for a ride in the back parking lot of there store, so I rode by to give them a look. There they all set with there spadex clothes, super bikes, healmets, gloves, ect... you get the picture. 8) They wouldn't even look my way for more than a secound. lol I rode away saying happy weggys you all to myself as I rode of into the sunset.... Really good ride today, was gone for about 2 hours or so. Bike is rock solid, and I'm sure I will get many more miles on her before my time comes to visit all my dearly departed love ones................

Happy trails,
Ron

savarin
07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
There they all set with there spadex clothes, super bikes, healmets, gloves, ect... you get the picture. 8) They wouldn't even look my way for more than a secound.

Thats exactly the behaviour they follow here.
I think that deep down they know they have chosen the wrong style but are too embarrassed to acknowledge the fact.:jester:
Poor fools.

John Lewis
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Same here. In a group they look down the nose at you. Different when they are on their own though. Often ask to try out the bike. Had 3 or 4 wanting to try the Wolf but not where their mates could see them.:jester:

John Lewis

SirJoey
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
We bent riders are like the Marines...
the few & the proud! (and the SMART!) :D

dakidd1
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Just a little video of my ride in Gulf Shores, Alabama. 5-25-09 Its a good demo of sound noise levels, while doing 35mph. This was from my trip I took this year, to visit family, and drop off the 4 wheel bike I made for my sisters kids. A 1000 miles or so away from home. I took my bike down on a utilty trailor, of coarse, and took a little 2 hour ride around Gulf Shores..... Right before I came back home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_IfTo6aRo

Ron

jimFPU
07-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice. I'm so looking forward to my GEBE!!

(BTW, not a good idea to run reds on such a craft when you're a 1000 miles from home...just something I noticed...)

dakidd1
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Forgot to mention, I do wear ear plugs while rideing, or a noise dampening headset people use while useing wead wackers. My headset has been modiefied with stero speakers installed inside, in the true AtomicZombie spirit, that I play my iPod music with. Gets a little warm to wear em, but, sometimes I gotta have a little music on my ride 8)

SirJoey
07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Well that was just fantastic! And what a perfect day for the ride, too!
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL sky & perfect weather (for ME, anyway),
cuz I just LOVE a cloudy day! :)

How many miles didja cover during that 2 hours?

BTW, don't pay any attention to those stop lights; they're just a suggestion! :jester:

dakidd1
07-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey SirJoey,
It wanted to rain allmost all the time I was down there, not sure how many miles I went, wasn't paying any attenetion to that. And was wondering if anyone would notice that light changing, it was a T intersection, and I had a bike lane on the right to jump into if needed, plus camera in hand. Stoping just didn't seem nescacery to me, traffic was at a minamall. :scooter:

Hope you enjoyed it,
Ron

dakidd1
07-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Now that I look at my video again, Maybe that wasn't a T intersection. Whhhoooopppssssssss, my bad. Kids don't do this at home...
Ron

jimFPU
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
LOL! Funny thing is I was showing the video to my wife so she could see what I;m looking at with the GEBE, and first thing she said was 'Hey, he ran a red!'

*Stunt driver on a closed course, do not attempt.* :scooter:

GregLWB
07-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Now that I look at my video again, Maybe that wasn't a T intersection. Whhhoooopppssssssss, my bad. Kids don't do this at home...
Ron

No problem Ron. I'm sure that the ticket is in the mail!:helmet::jester:

Greg

dakidd1
07-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok !!! I know. I need to get a job or something. This is the last video I'll post with this thread, but I thought it was apropeiate with the main topic. Hope you like it. :kid: It was done with my new Head Cam set up. Wife just looks at me and laughs..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJeJLVwWtY

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01501.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01502.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01505.jpg

Ron

SirJoey
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, you named this thread right, Ron!

HOLY *****, how fast have you HAD that thing, anyway?!!! :eek:
I saw you hit 50 at one point, there!!! :eek:

When you got to that park at the end, I was expecting
to hear your tires screeching on the curves! :D

Dang, dude, that's incredible! :punk: Now, I wanna motorize MINE!

Danner
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
That was a thrill! Full screen, the tunes, WOW! Well done. The area looked familiar....
Danner

Danner
07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Looking back at your first photo uploads 11 months ago... the windshield should have been our first clue you were serious about fast!

Radical Brad
07-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Most excellent!!

Brad

Richie Rich
07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the ride, Ron. I felt like I was right there with you.
The 'Helmet Cam' works great.

Excellent....!!!!

......Richie.....

PeterT
07-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Love the helmet cam,as I studied media production, and came up lots of ideas like this to get the shots that I wanted, suggestion: have a look at www.gopro.com for other camera ideas. a view of the grin on your face as you hit those slower speed would be worth a thousand words:scooter:

PeterT

dakidd1
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Love the helmet cam,as I studied media production, and came up lots of ideas like this to get the shots that I wanted, suggestion: have a look at www.gopro.com for other camera ideas. a view of the grin on your face as you hit those slower speed would be worth a thousand words:scooter:

PeterT

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the info. I went and checked the GoPro cams out. 512x384 video, wonder how that would look on a 50 inch plasma TV... My Camera gets HD 1920x1080/60i, with dolby digital 5.1 surround sound. I like to check em out at home, make DVD's, ect... Also can get about 3 hours recording time if I used the 60 GB hard drive, but I use the 8GB SD card instead for action shots. As I don't want to shake and roll that hard drive. SD card gets about 1 hour HD Video. There does seem to be a lot of jiggle footage, along with lots of wind noise with this cam of mine, and that is not what I want. The GoPro cam demo's seemed real stable with there video shots, and wind noise was not heard. That little container box they use really seems to do the job, and take care of the unwanted side affects. I am interested, though, in checking one out some day. Just do not have the cash flow at this time, but thank's again for this link to there web site.

Take care,
Ron :kid:

graucho
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Ive had to watch this once a day since posted to make me smile. What a gas! I have 4 motored bikes, but nothing even close to that speed range. :rockon:

dakidd1
07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you, graucho, for posting you thoughts..... I had to show I was not full of hot air with my comments about this bike. Couldn't think of a better way to do it, than a video. That 50mph is going down hill, so thats kinda cheating 8), but she will do aproxmently 40 on straight aways. You are quite the craftsman I see with your pics. Those motor bikes are really cool....... Wonder where you ride them bad boys at? So many talented people here at AtomicZombie, love this place....

Ron

PeterT
07-28-2009, 04:54 AM
One way you an protect your cam mic from the wind is to wrap some high density foam around/over the mic, this prevents the wind from hitting the mic, then you can always place your camera behind a clear perspex screen, and mount it on a rubberised mat, similiar to the matting used around trampolines.... high density foam with good resilience to impact loads

Or you can make your own wind /water proof cam box by taking a lunchbox container, cutting a hole just big enough for your lens to get full exposure from and placing a clear bit of perspex over the hole... you then still get all the goodies that are on your cam, without the $$$$$tag.

Have a go at mounting your cam on the front of the SF, looking back at you, and then mount the same rig just up behind your head, looking forwards, so that you can see your pedals and steering.

I am thinking of actually making a trailer that will get towed by my F-RQ, with a camera operator seated in the trailer, operating a jib arm as we ride along:sunny:so that we can get some really awesome shots. Need plans for a cantilevered camera jib lemme know.

PeterT

John Lewis
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Great video Ron. Loved your cam setup. I have an Oregon Scientific ATC3k helmet cam but the quality sucks.

Jiggle in pictures due to vibration. Have a look at a program called Virtual Dub. Its free and available on sourceforge I think. Then download and install the Deshaker filter. It helps a lot to clean up bike vids. It isn't too hard to use. I like it a lot. It's really the only reason I haave Windows on a computer here.

John Lewis

dakidd1
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Great video Ron. Loved your cam setup. I have an Oregon Scientific ATC3k helmet cam but the quality sucks.

Jiggle in pictures due to vibration. Have a look at a program called Virtual Dub. Its free and available on sourceforge I think. Then download and install the Deshaker filter. It helps a lot to clean up bike vids. It isn't too hard to use. I like it a lot. It's really the only reason I haave Windows on a computer here.

John Lewis

Hey John,

That program dosn't work with AVCHD .mts HD movie files, dosn't like MPEG 4 files either......... After severall hours of looking into this, I give up. Thanks anyway,
Ron

John Lewis
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
That's bad luck Ron. Sorry it didn't work. I should have mentioned it only works with AVI which my camera does. My HD cam uses MOV files and I just convert them to AVI, Deshake and then convert to whatever I want usually xvid or DVD. Don't know the file your cam produces.

John Lewis

Radical Brad
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
In Adobe After FX, you can use motion tracking to reduce camera shake. Find a sharply contrasted point to track, and then just manually apply keyframes if tracking wanders. It can even track in 3 dimensions!

Hard vibration can make a CCD detach from the the carrier board in the camera, so be careful! I killed a brand new cam on the Sparky video shoot by resting it on the handlebars as I rode. We have a new cam that has a built in mechanical gyro to remove shake, but I have been too nervous to bang it around too much now.

For those good with a soldering iron, supercircuits.com has very high quality tiny board cams for under fifty bucks! Just run them into the NTSC line input on your digital cam, and you can mount them anywhere.

Brad

dakidd1
08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Just bumping the video's up for this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaav7Y0U9Io

Ron:kid:

PeterT
08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Ron,
those are sweet vids, now you just need to bring the cam from off your head, and onto your shoulder, and you will have one very stable video mount!
PeterT

ps what sort of speeds were you clocking it at? in kph please

dakidd1
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Peter,
You sure get around on within this forum... Not sure how I would mount this cam on my shoulder, would like to have it behind the drivers seat, say 3 to 5 feet for a better perspective. But I'm sure that would be bouncing all over the place..... The speed is usally at 35 to 40 miles per hour, and I thought that cop was going after me for a secound.... Sheeewwwww --------

Ron
:kid:

PeterT
08-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Ron,
From the pic of the back of your beast, it looks like there are some semi- mudguards, could you make a bracket to come off of those, or make a bracket to come off the back of your seat, so that the cam just sticks out past your ears and has the point of view of your hands on the tiller through to the steering etc?

If the boys in blue pull you over offer them a ride and if they take you up on it, ask tehm to tear up the ticket!:rolleyes4:

I will be building my own steadicam mount tonite, so will get a pic or three for you.

PeterT

dakidd1
08-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Peter,

I am afraid anything mounted to the bike frame would be like putting my camera into a paint mixer. The jaring around would surly destroy this very expensive HD cam. I would like to see your cam mounting, but anything attached to a bike frame I think would not be good.

Ron

PeterT
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Ron,
Here is the mini steadicam mount that I made just tonite

Pic0010 are the pieces,
Pic0013 is it being assembled
steadicam mount #1 is finished product

The pivot nut is a 8mm nut drilled out, which can then be welded to a small brace bar at whatever distance required.

Now I have balanced the mount, I just need to place a small tension spring on each side of the pivot, and then the cam will just sit there regardless of the bumps

PeterT
08-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Ron,
With regards to mounting cameras on moving objects, I did my Media Arts Productions Skills (MAPS) course, Certificate 4 in media production, by making jibs, dollies, gantries and mounting full blown high end cameras on bonnets, boots, roofs, and in trailers and anything else that was needed to get the shot requested by the directors, as far as I know those cameras are still in use today, without any services needed to repair them.

PeterT
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Ron,
One way to see how much actual bounce is at the rear of your beast is to place a piece of paper lengthwise at a point you think would make a great viewpoint, with a pen mounted at right angles to the paper on a thin flexible piece of timber, so that when the cart hits a bump the pen can 'float' across the paper and leave a mark. This way you can see if the pen travels excessively at that point. Move the pen closer to the cart's frame till you have minimal flex out of the pen, then mount your cam at that point.

PeterT

dakidd1
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Peter,
I have read your comments accrose this forum, on different things. And I must admit, I usally walk away so to speak, scracthing my head. The things you do, like say with your quad your building, leave me totally confuzed. It must be I am still stuck in this "Think inside the square, and all you will play with are boxes!" thing you have at the bottom of your profile thing. Its not your fault, just my lack of education, I quess........... And once again, I am scratching my head again. Sounds like you know what you are talking about, I just can,t picture it in my little brain, and its hurting from trying to.... Thanks for trying to explain this cam stuff to this old backwoods boy, but its all fuzy on this end.

Ron

PeterT
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Ron,
email me your address and I will send one over for you to look at and play with , to help you get your head around it, and when you have finisihed playing with it you can send it back :jester: not that I would ever expect it back ...:hippy:

All i need is the footprint dimensions of your cam, the weight of the cam with largest batteries, cards and accessories, and the tripod mounting position, and I'll knock one up for you next week

edumecatiozns aint nuthin .... try a thing, learn from it failing, try again, learn from its failing etc, and then read every thing on this site a couple of times, research what it is you want to play with and then try, try, try

:jester: PeterT

dakidd1
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Peter for you kind offer, but I could not ask anyone to do that for me. I am at a time right now where no money is flowing my way, and I do not take charity. Waiting out the local unemployment board rueling on the 70 of us that took a buy out from our company, suspositly with unemployment benefits being paid, also. I would not have taken there deal except for my wife wanting to move to Iowa, and this hasn't been to frutfull with her Job search over the internet from a Michigan location. ( she is a highly trained surgicall RN ) All my extra expences have come to a halt. Take care.

Ron

PeterT
08-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Ron,
I didn't say it was charity, I said it was for you to play with till you have finished playing with your toys!

I don't do charity either, but I love to bless people when & where I can, so if you want to still refuse my offer, then you will be robbing me of an opportunity to bless someone with something made from my heart, to meet their needs.

PeterT

dakidd1
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Just bumping again.

Just bumping the video's up for this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaav7Y0U9Io

Ron:kid:

SirJoey
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey, DaKidd, I've been enviously scoping out your awesome,
motorized quad for quite awhile now. & the more I do, the more I want... :taz:

I'd like to eventually buy one of those little engines, & either adapt it to my quad,
or build another vehicle specifically for it. Maybe adapting it to one of my trikes
would be a better option, I dunno. Any suggestions?

Also, do you have any good close-ups of the assembly process you could send me?
The more I can understand about exactly how the engine mounts & drives the vehicle,
the better I can make the right decision about what to use it on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanx! :)

jimFPU
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey SJ, my GEBE is scheduled to arrive Monday, and I'll do the traditional Zombie unpack and install.

I got the 32cc Tanaka 2 stroke, as opposed to the 35cc Robin-Subaru after talking to Julie at GEBE for a while. She explained that it would have a longer life, more top end speed, and is a touch more quiet over the 4 stroke. She also told me I could run it wide open all day with no worries; no oil changes, and it was $50 cheaper.

Plus if you ask for and provide Military service proof, they can do a bit extra for ya!! Just gotta ask!

dynodon
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I was going to install one on my mountain bike last year when gas was $4 but you couldn't touch one they were back ordered all of the summer. Did you guys see the video on there site with the guy on the motoized bent going to work? That really got me going. Well the bent is i the works for me right now but the GEBE will have to wait.

jimFPU
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Oh, yeah, forgot to tell you: $579 shipped. Whole kit:http://www.bikeengines.com/tanaka32info.htm Most expensive thing I've ever purchased for a bike...:scooter:

SirJoey
08-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey SJ, my GEBE is scheduled to arrive Monday, and I'll do the traditional Zombie unpack and install!Lookin' forward to your build/assembly/install thread!

Unless I sell something, it''ll prolly be quite awhile before I can swing something like that,
but I'd really like to give it a shot on SOMETHING.

The more I look at DaKidd's awesome motorized quad, the more I wanna do something similar!
I just don't know (yet) if I should attempt to alter one of my existing rides to accept the GEBE,
or if I should build something around it.

Don't know if it's even possible, but what I'd REALLY like to do, is install it on my little Trixter/SpinCycle trike:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5088/dsc04658oz8.jpg

At least I know this little thing is pretty stable at high speed, although intense, since I've had it up to 37 mph
with the CycleBully pushing it! I don't really think it's do-able, though. I'll prolly have to build something, right?
Opinions, anyone?

Seeing what you do with yours should help, though. I welcome any & all suggestions from anyone.

dakidd1
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey SirJoey !!!

I wish I knew you wanted some info on how I mounted this GEBE to my quad.(I could have taken some pics with engine out of the way) I just did a engine replacement ( went from a 40cc Tanaka to a 47R Tanaka engine ) , which didn't turn out well. Oh, it went pretty fast allright (45mph on straight aways) But I couldn't seem to combat the extra vibration that ended up breaking my expansion pipe twice, welded them back together were pipe broke, and then finally the exhaust pipe manufold broke off from the cyclender head. This is the secound time I have tried to use this 47cc engine, and had my exhaust port ending up breaking off. A new head cost somewheres around $100.00, proubly needs a new cyclender and rings, so I have decided to toss it into a part pile !!! The stock exhaust that came with it would have been the solution, but I do not like the noise right behind my left ear. Seems to be that the number of CC's an engine has, is very close to how fast you can go with these engines. Oh, they do have different belt drive geares you can buy for you GEBE motor, but with the larger engines it was to easy for me to ruin a good belt with a hill climbing gear for example. Your suspose to go easy on the throttle, and not use your new kit like a motor cycle engine for example, heavy on the gas = belt going bad quick. And at $29.00 a belt, thats not good. I allways seem to take things way past there limit, as I am a bit of a thrill junky.

I have modyfied my kit into a dual belt drive system. Had to add an extra bearing, and a cut off portion of an extra nylon ring that I have screwed onto the main ring that attaches to the spokes on my 24inch wheel, so do not pay any attention to that in the pictures I have added. I have a heavy gas finger, and am trying this as a possible solution to belts being just a little to small in diameter for me.

The easyest install is with a regular style bike back end. There U type metal attachement bracket just slips over the back axile, and 2 nuts tightened down on that holds the motor assyemble unit in place. One more bracket goes from the engine mount to say a seat post to keep the unit from trying to spin around. Snap on the nylone ring onto your spokes, add the belt and gas throttle cable, kill switch, and away you go. These kits would be good on the warrior, streetfox as there main wheel in the back is just like any 2 wheel bike. In fact, I had one on a KMXKART that was a real blast, just didn't like the bumpy ride the bike had. Most bike trails around here are tough to take or deal with. If it was me, I would go with a StreetRider. It helps smooth out bumps on trails due to its long wheel base, and is really a rock solid and a stable platform to work with. You allready have a mini car/bike with this design, the engine just turns my or your ride into one great experiance.

Ok, here are some pics I took. Maybe you can make out what I have done. I allso made a video with a slow walk around of my install. If you like or need, I will make a youtube video post of this.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01509.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01510.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01511.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01512.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01513.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01514.jpg

I have 3 more pics to post up top,
Ron

dakidd1
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
The gas can is only a temp container. I am only trying it out and will get a more sutable can if I end up like this 1 gallon tank. Like the ideal of going into a gas station with a 2.6 bottle of 2 cycle oil, and just filling her up and be on my way down the road. That 47R Tanaka really sucked up the gas, about 65 miles per gallon. The 40cc gets something like 110 or so. Here is the rest of pics.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01516.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01517.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/DSC01518.jpg

jimFPU
08-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice. Of course on My Infinity the mounting will probably be more 'traditional.' More next week.

Didn't mean to hijack dad, but it seems to fit the theme in this thread.

SirJoey
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Ron, thanx a lot for the pics & info! Much appreciated! :)

Here's a question... since the GEBE is designed (mainly) for a regular bike, would it be easier for me to mount it on my factory-built tad, or would that require mods on the trike?
If it requires modding the trike, maybe I'd be better off building the StreetFox tad, instead. That way, any necessary mods would simply become part of the build.

I just bought "Bike, Scooter & Chopper" last week, which includes the StreetFox plans, so I could go that route, if I had to, but I'd prefer to use something I already have.

...and yeah, I'd love to see a good, close-up, walk-around vid of your quad, but there's certainly no rush. In all probability, an engine purchase for me is a long way off.

dakidd1
08-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Nice. Of course on My Infinity the mounting will probably be more 'traditional.' More next week.

Didn't mean to hijack dad, but it seems to fit the theme in this thread.

No proublem, jim. You fit right in. Looking forward to hearing more about your new engine, and experiances with it.

Ron

dakidd1
08-29-2009, 05:31 AM
Hey SirJoey,
A tadpole bike would work very well, like the Warrior or Streetfox. The only thing is haveing enough axile sticking out for their mounting U bar to attach to. A quick reless axile type is not recomended, as you could emagine. They do sell axiles, also, if needed that are longer than the traditional ones usally found on regular bikes. Your new quad bike would work out well. All you need is I think is 14 inches separation between the bike axile, and gear on your engine. GEBE could set you straight on the exact mesurements needed. You would need to make a mount youself to get that separation, and I use an old leather belt wraped around my 1.5 inch frame on bike say 2 or 3 times to insulate my home made engine mount from bike frame. Makes seeing out my mirrors a lot easyer. Oh, I got a 2 cycle engine kit so that I could mount my engine any of 4 different ways, to make gas tank that comes with engine accessable for fill ups. It is held onto the clutch assemble bye four allen bolts, and can be rotated to ones needs. I'll get that slow walk around video up today for you. Might help you see better what I have done.

Ron

SirJoey
08-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Since my last post, I kinda answered some of my own questions by thoroughly reading the info on their site.

I now know I wouldn't be mounting the engine on my tad, so it'd be the quad, a bike, or build the SF.

Thanx for all the info! It'll be VERY helpful if I actually DO take the plunge one day! Lookin' forward to another vid, too! :)

dakidd1
08-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, SirJoey asked for anothier video !!! So don't blame me ...... And peter, I was not moveing much with this one, I hope you approve :) ...... Juast kidding, peter.....

Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUaMJdrw_5c

PeterT
08-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Ron,

That is one sweet video!

I also saw lots of points I could mount a camera mount to :jester:

SirJoey
08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Dang, Ron, that's some real engineering there! Your engine mount is quite a piece of work! (Not to mention the quad itself!) :punk:

Seriously nice work, dude. Not bad camera work, either. Thanx a lot for taking the time! MOST informative & helpful! :D

dakidd1
08-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Glad to help out anyway I can, SirJoey. I enjoy reading all your posts and adventures you tell. I am in no way in your leage of bike builders talent, but thanks for trying to make me thank so. Peter, you are to much. When you going to make a bad a** video for us to see your new quad? Take care super garage bike hackers, together we shall rule the bike trails of tomorrow !!!

Ron

SirJoey
08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I am in no way in your leage of bike builders talent, but thanks for trying to make me thank so.Can't say I agree with THAT.
You're mighty humble for one with such extraordinary skillz, but thanx anyway! :)

PeterT
08-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Ron,

My video will come as soon as I can get drive to the rear axle. :rolleyes4: :biker:

I have one camera mount above the riders head, looking forward, and will mount the steadi-cam on the front of my F-RQ for the rear views, then I will look at ways to mount it side on if needed

PeterT

PeterT
08-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Ron,

While you are waiting you might wanna have a look at this set up, see where you want to set it up on your rig, possibly over your right shoulder, as the motor is on your left shoulder ... :jester:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2615/3870600314_39e492500a.jpg

or you could simply mount this one's handle to the side of your seat and get a very smooth vid!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3870621532_26ce94c275_m.jpg

PeterT

dynodon
08-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Thats one bad ride! I have a few ??,s Why the dual belt set up was the quad too heavy for one? and the exhaust on the gebe is that te way it comes or did you add the expansion chamber? I love the disk brake setup in the rear do you have disks in the front also?

weekend-fun
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
daKidd,
On a scale from 1-10, hwo hard was the StreetFighter and about what is the toatl costs?

dakidd1
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Peter,

Can,t wait to see your video. Get that bike done. Thanks for the ideals on mounting a camera, and I am sure it works (the pics are convincing), but I can,t seem to wrap my head around how all that will cut down on the vibrations. Remember, I have a 2cycle gas vibration maker attached to my bike. And the mount seems to attach to a solid object, and will not have my 200 pound body to absorb much of the vibration. Yeah, I could make some kind of body strap, to bolt this camera mount to, but I am not that into it to go to all the trouble. It looks like from your descriptions, that some sort of foam helps the camera mount, like a float or shock absorber. But anyway, I think I have made my last video this year. They are talking about frost in Michigan tonight, and day time temps have been lucky to get much past 65 degrees lately, plus I am fresh out of cool ideals on what to shoot next. I think I have pretty much covered all I wanted to video tape for now. Hey !!! Thanks for the heads up on all this stuff.

Ron

dakidd1
08-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Thats one bad ride! I have a few ??,s Why the dual belt set up was the quad too heavy for one? and the exhaust on the gebe is that te way it comes or did you add the expansion chamber? I love the disk brake setup in the rear do you have disks in the front also?

Hi dynodon,

I thought I would try 2 belts because:

1. I have a heavy gas throttle finger, they tell you to take it easy with that.
2. Sure a quad is heaver that a 2 wheel bike, how much? I don't know or care. I love a quad way better than any 2 wheeler. And yes, that does put a little more demand on there design. Would'nt be a proublem if I took it easy with the throttle. Bad me !!!
3. The 2 belts seem to reduce the amount of bounce the one belt makes back there all by itself with that spring looded belt tensioner. I did stagger the teeth of the secound nylone ring to not parallel the first ring, hopping this would cut down on that little black balls movement, and it has. Extra movement means springs were out and break faster. And when they break, that little gear on the cluch assemble loves to eat belts. New belts cost $30.00 a pieace, plus 1 week down time to get them. I have twice the surface with 2 belts for the transmission of power from the engine. This has got to be a good thing.

The engine kits come with a stock engine all the way around. I put a High Performance Carb, and exhaust system on mine right from the start. Gives you about 4 to 5 miles per hour differance in speed. I know, that doesn't seem like much. But when you play in traffic like I do, it does make a huge differance. I have somewhere around 1 thousand dollars in my engine set up.

I have 2 disk brakes on the rear of my bike. They have proven to be adequete. Hope I have answered your questions, take care.

Ron

dakidd1
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
daKidd,
On a scale from 1-10, hwo hard was the StreetFighter and about what is the toatl costs?

Thats a tough question for me to answere. This all depends on how much experiance you have with all this stuff. (welding, bikes, ect...) It really adds up to one thing, how determend are you to make this happen, or build one. Anyone with desire can do this. Brads plans are the best anyone could ever ask for on how to make one. He is truely very elegant in putting everthing you need to know into his plans. Plus you have all of us here to help you out, just ask. Someone will have an answere for you.

Costs?
It all depends on what you want to put into your bike. I use all the junkyard stuff from old bikes, that I can find. So that keeps it down to say 3 to 6 hundred all said and done. Some things have to be bought new, like disc brakes,cables, ect... It depends on what you end up buying for your bike.

Ron

jimFPU
08-31-2009, 08:16 AM
My GEBE is scheduled 'Out for delivery' right now...I wonder how much sick time I have...? LOL!

Have to work the second job tonight, so most anything will have to wait until tomorrow evening. Updates as they happen.

dakidd1
08-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Your a lucky man, jim. Don't forget to wear them ear plugs, or something to reduce the noise level. I didn't bother when I got mine up and running most of my first year with one. And now my ears are ringging all the time. Not that load, but just over the still of the night or a fan noise. Protect your hearing!!!

Ron

jimFPU
08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I wear ear plugs when mowing the lawn, so I figured this would be no different. I do plan on the muffler you have, and GregLWB suggested a pipe extension that turns the sound away from you, so I'll look into that too. I plan to put the motor behind the rack so I can still have cargo bags, kinda 'hanging off' the back. More to come on that, but it should add about 1.5 feet between me and the motor also.

I have also investigated full-face motorcycle helmets at Wally-World, and can get one for about $50 on clearance; with the increased speed I may look into that too. It should help out in the winter too!!

GregLWB
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I wear ear plugs when mowing the lawn, so I figured this would be no different. I do plan on the muffler you have, and GregLWB suggested a pipe extension that turns the sound away from you, so I'll look into that too. I plan to put the motor behind the rack so I can still have cargo bags, kinda 'hanging off' the back. More to come on that, but it should add about 1.5 feet between me and the motor also.

I have also investigated full-face motorcycle helmets at Wally-World, and can get one for about $50 on clearance; with the increased speed I may look into that too. It should help out in the winter too!!

I wear a full-face MC helmet when commuting. It helps with sound, wind noise, and one of the most important - bugs don't hit you in the eye at 20-30mph.:jester:

Also Jim, don't forget that if you change the way the engine is mounted it voids warranty (such as leaning it way back) and the fill for your tank may be pointing at the ground.:1eye:

One way that might work for you is to put a large pannier on the opposite side from the motor and use some small panniers on the front if you need more space.

Greg

jimFPU
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
OK, I'll look at it when I get home today...it should be waiting on the porch for me...

trikeman
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I wear a full-face MC helmet when commuting. It helps with sound, wind noise, and one of the most important - bugs don't hit you in the eye at 20-30mph.:jester:

Greg

I think that is really wise Greg. When I took my motorcycle safety course, they told us the average motorcycle accident occurs about 35 mph, and you can get pretty beat up or dead from that speed.

jimFPU
08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Full-face helmet will be the priority now.:helmet:

Update: Engine was waiting for me when I got home! UPS tried to beet the box silly, but looks like everything is OK. I won't be doing any riding this week, unless I use the highway gear right off. This is not recommended by Julia at GEBE (recommends 1000 or so miles for the break-in), but they forgot to put the 'standard' gear on the motor when they saw I ordered the highway! She mentioned that it would feel real sluggish if I started off with that gear until the motor got broke-in, but I'll just wait and do it right. Anyway, the standard is on the way tomorrow.

Got to go to work so pics of the unpack later tonight.

jimFPU
08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Box as received:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00088.jpg

Opened to this:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00089-1.jpg

Looks like everything is here except the standard gear:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00092.jpg

SirJoey
09-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Box as received:Looks like it was delivered by UPS, Universal Package Smashers... :thinking:

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Here are some updates from yesterday:

Installing the drive ring, in the comfort of the air conditioning!

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00093-1.jpg

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00094-1.jpg

First motor installation point, bike rack and panniers removed:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00095-1.jpg

I'll have to clamp it to the seat (designed to clamp to the seat post on a wedgie):

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00096.jpg

More installation pics soon but basically moved it down a bit more, so it's even further from my ears, and now I can but the rack and panniers back on. I initially thought that I wouldn't be able to carry anything and would have to go back to the trailer. Good thing my lovely bride came out to work with me last night (OK, so she actually wanted to spend some time with me-and I'm OK with that. BTW, I showed her the new Warrior in the garage-two sticks of 12' steel!! LOL!! She can't wait!)

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
The approximate new position of the motor, with the rack installed:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00097.jpg

With the panniers loosly installed:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00098-1.jpg

Hopefully a test ride later today!! Have to go get a longer metal strap for the seat brace and gas.:scooter:

dynodon
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
lookin good!!!

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
OK, had to mod the main bracket to accommodate my dérailleur bolt. Now worries!
Before:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00099-1.jpg

After:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00100-1.jpg

You can see how the bracket fits better on the axle also.

Top strap connected to the seat:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00102-1.jpg

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00101-1.jpg

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Lower bracket to engine:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00103-1.jpg

Whole view:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00104.jpg

Spare belt installed:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00106.jpg

About to start for the first time!!

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00107.jpg

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 05:03 PM
After the first test:

Man this is TOO much fun!!! I actually came into my house and told my wife 'What a hoot!!!'

Tested out on the road for a bit...people already looked at me funny because I had a bent, now I was almost keeping up with them!!! The construction workers couldn't even wave back they were so astonished!

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00114-1.jpg

dakidd1
09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Thank you jim for posting lots of pics of your install. I don't think I have seen your bike before. Your set up looks really good, thats an excellent ideal to move it as far away from you as possible. Keep it comeing, love to here how it is going for you. Forgot to mention, be sure to have an extra spring on hand, just in case your installed one breaks. What size engine did you get?

Ron

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
It's the same on in my Avatar. My bike is not a homebuilt, it's and old Infinity, made about 18-20 years ago by a shop in Illinois. They are still in business, but not the recumbent business. 1" square aircraft grade AL. Great bike and now it really does fly!! I got the 32cc two stroke Tanaka. I'm using the #14 (highway gear) for right now until they send me the standard gear for the 1000 mile break-in. I'm definitely gonna have to get a full-face for when it starts to get cold, but in the mean time I'll finish out the M2 for my son, build a Street Fighter (first set of plans I bought BTW) for my daughter, and now my wife is thinking a Warrior for play and a Load or Delta Runner for as she said 'practicality.' If I go with the Warrior I'll be building twins, 'cuz I'm gonna want one.

jimFPU
09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Man, I look fat on the web, must be the shirt...:jester:

savarin
09-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Man, I look fat on the web, must be the shirt...:jester:

Its definitely the shirt, I've got a bunch of them as well.:jester::jester:
Sorry,forgot, good looking ride.

SirJoey
09-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Some pretty clever hackin' there.

dakidd1
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't know if you saw this on there site, but they have a link to "MSR fuel containers".
Comes in handy, seems the middle one (22oz) fits right into a water bottle bracket. The larger MSR fuel container (33oz) one I forced into a extra water bracket I had lyeing around, but was a really tight fit. Just do a search for MSR Fuel Bottle on internet.

Ron

jimFPU
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
dad, I saw you used a 1 gallon gas can. Did you just add extra line (it looks a lot like R/C fuel line) and relocate the tank? Not sure why I'd need a special bottle at this point, but I may want to convert a gallon gas container...

dakidd1
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey jim,

I wanted to try something different for a gas tank. Looked everywhere for a 1 gallon, plastic type. But constructed tough enough to take on the road. The cheap, metal gas can is just an experament, and has worked out beter than I could hope. Really like the ideal of a 1 gallon tank, as I like the possibilty to pull into a gas station, adding 2.6oz of 2cycle oil into can, and filling her up. Went for a 90 mile ride today, and still have gas left in my can. Want to see how far I can go before I need gas, but was ready to come home after 90 miles. Was a picture perfect day for a 3 hour ride. Looks like I can use this tank I have found for a new tank. ( picture below ) Just drill some holes into it just like the originall tank attached to motor has, add the rubber washers and run the gas lines just like originall tank are ran. Should work out fine. I need to find some good gas line to use, will look at R/C fuel line as a possible source. The bright line you see came with my new HP carb I bought last year, but I need more of it. I have jerry riged my set up with what ever I could scrunge up, so a new tank and gas line is a must.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dakidd1/1gallontank.jpg

Here is where I found this gas tank at:

http://www.campingatv.com/store-products-RX-1G-RED-1-Gallon-Gas-Pack_42087355.html

and her, also:

http://www.rotopax.com/1-gallon-gasoline-rotopax-fuel-pack-atv-fuel-gas-container-gas-can-fuel-c-1-p-1-pr-92.html

Ron

jimFPU
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Well tomorrow is the first commute with the engine...film at 11!

jimFPU
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Great ride in this morning! :scooter:

I still have to peddle quite a bit, but that is the point! Really helped with the hills I always had trouble with. There are times when I just can't peddle fast enough though, and just cruise (like the video on the GEBE site). Top speed 35.4 MPH, time about 20-25 minutes (forgot to reset the computer...d'oh!) I'll have a better report this after noon, but for right now-better headlights are the next order of business!! I may also Zombie-fy the Infinity to add a shock front, and may even take it to a 26'. Not sure yet but I'll be playing with it today.

jimFPU
09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
OK, yesterdays ride home: 37.4 MPH top speed. Average speed 26.something MPH. 18.06 minutes. Lots of pedal assist.

This morning: 34.7 top speed. Average speed 24.9 MPH. 20.28 minutes. Lots of pedal assist.

Funny thing is this: car: about 15-20 minutes drive. Bike no motor: fastest time 36 minutes. Bike with motor: fastest time 18 minutes.

Lost my first part too: the wing nut that holds on the cover for the belt drive. May take it off all the way now...

Also changed out the front skinny tire for a bigger fatter tire. Smoothed out the ride some and lessened my fears of a pinch flat. I may have to try and install a disk brake for the front, as I would feel better with better braking power. Pics later...

GregLWB
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Looks great Jim! I like the way you mounted the motor and left room for the rack in front of it. I may look at rotating mine a little further back too.

I have been working a lot and also doing some stuff in the garage. I have gotten one of the rear hubs done on my daughters trike and will post pics on that thread soon.

I have also been helping an older friend of mine to motorize his Sun EZ-3 AX Delta Trike. This is the trike with 20" cambered wheels in the rear. We stayed with the Subaru 4-stroke like on my bike but we got the kit from Staton, so it is a chain drive. You should see the mouth open jaw dropped attention we get with the two of us riding together!:jester:

Greg

jimFPU
09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
You should see the mouth open jaw dropped attention we get with the two of us riding together!:jester:

Greg
I get that by myself...now all I need is my wife's Delta Runner built and motorized...:punk:

As for the position of the motor, I had to do it that way so I would be able to carry things, like a change of clothes and my lunch. I needed the rack and this way made sense to me.

dakidd1
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey jim,
Things do tend to come loose with all that extra vibration you now have. Be sure to check all your nuts and bolts for awhile, but you prouble have figured this out for yourself now, even on the bike itself. After awhile, you will find or figure which ones might need close attention paid to em. I have lost even my shiny black ball from the tensioner spring arm. Are those speeds you are reporting going down hills, or on the straight aways?

Take care,
Ron

jimFPU
09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
LOL! I saved the ball, by putting it in my bag for the ride home!

Flats: top out at about 36-37.

Got this on a slight down hill, peddling madly:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00123-1.jpg

Aveage (18.26 minute ride, including a couple of stops and slows):

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00124-1.jpg

jimFPU
09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I have lost even my shiny black ball from the tensioner spring arm.
Well, poop. I out smarted my self by putting it in my bag...must have bounced out on the way back home...D'oh!! :1eye:

dakidd1
02-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, guess who has made it on the front page of the "Golden Eagle Bike Engines" web site!!! I e-mailed them a link, along with some comments about their bike engine kits this last summer, never really exspecting them to post it at there web site, although thet said they would. You could have nocked me over with a feather when I went to there site today........... I really hope this brings more attention to Brads and Kate's wonderfull place, for without them my quad bicycle would have never been been anything more than a dream......

Ron

Radical Brad
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Cool.... post a photo!

Brad

dakidd1
02-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Not sure how to post a pic of this. But I do have a link for there site.http://www.bikeengines.com/index.htm

jimFPU
02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Yep saw that the other day when I was surfing for a new wheel! Good for you!

dakidd1
10-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello all, this is Ron, checking in from Des Moines, Iowa. Hope everyone is doing well. We moved to Iowa this summer, and boy did it get hot here. My digital thermonitor read over 100 degrees on some days. I have not rode my bike at all this year, been way to crazy of a year for us to move to Iowa, from Michigan. We brought our 4 dogs with us to, so you can imagine how hard it has been. Looking into finding jobs here has been really tuff for me and my wife, but things are starting to come around for us.... She starts a new job in November, and I am going to be a bus driver if I can pass all the tests it takes to be one. So far so good. Take care all, hope you all are haveing a good year.

Ron

wade
04-08-2015, 09:43 AM
What size wheels did you use the 26 inch or 20 inch?????/

darnthedog
04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Wade
In looking at the photos this person used 20 inch wheels. But they have not posted since 2013 and this post is from 2011. After about 6 months I would not recommend posting questions on any particular post as the originator may not be online anymore. I'm not telling you what to do- just providing information from my experiences on this forum. It makes for great reading the past post. However it is easier to ask your questions on newer threads. The date is on the grey bar on the top post.

LongRider
04-08-2015, 11:36 AM
dakidd1, should change your name to Dr. Frankenstein -- you are trying to raise the dead!