PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Welds

TheKid
09-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I noticed some cracks in the head tube welds. The cause may have been the front wheel which was wobbling quite a bit whenever I hit bumps or made a sharp turn. Rather than just reweld it, I took the time to make a new front tube, and welded it onto the boom using the method in the DW plans. This will enable me to run the brake cable internally. I also extended the boom, because the high back seat mounts further forward than the short back seat. The high back seat also sits flatter, so I made the tube shot enough to raise the front of the boom an inch or so. While I was at it, I changed the head tube angle to get rid of the wheel flop. I had almost 6" of trail, it's now down to about 1 1/2". I also had a problem with the rear brake, due to a slight miscalculation in locating the caliper. Rather than redrilling and grinding the caliper mount, I ordered a 180mm disc, which will give me some more stopping power. As it was, the rear brake had as much power as the front brake because the pads grabbed the disc short by about a half inch. I appropriated one of my neighbors bikes that has a 180mm disc on the rear. The braking improved quite a bit. He won't be home until tomorrow night, so I'll put it back in the morning. The pilot steering tube was cut and rewelded, so the angles of both tubes are the same again. The new longer tie rod works as effortlessly as before. We had some wet weather lately, and I was getting splashed a little bit from the front wheel. Luckily, I have a fender that's primed, ready for paint.
So tomorrow it will be repainted where necessary. It's already assembled because I wanted to take it for a test ride, so I'll just tape it up before painting. It's already primed.

macka
09-14-2008, 08:53 AM
post some pics when you get it done.

TheKid
09-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Will do, but I'll post before I get the disc. That won't come until next week. In the meantime, the front brake is adequate for what I need the bike for at the moment, and by Wednesday, I should have the Fox completed.