PDA

View Full Version : Axle Mounting Tabs (A)

lumo
09-26-2008, 01:24 AM
i create my axle mounting tabs out of two plates with .315 inch (8mm)
as described i need to weld em together, but as i am new to welding i do not know how much AMPERE i need to weld it (i got a 180A TIG welder)
i guess i have to put it straigt up to 180 as i want to make the seam smooth and as far inside as possible (not possible to the inner, thats sure...) but i should get in up to 6mm - thats what i hope

any other suggestions?

edit: i could also electric weld it (with a tough stick), as i only got small tig electrodes (as i will usually only weld 2-4mm stuff)

CharlieChops
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I would grind a chamfer on the opposing joining edges and fill that vee with weld and then smooth it off. My welder has 7 heat settings - for that I would use number 2 or 3 with about the medium setting for wire speed. If you're using .023 wire you might have to make a couple passes to fill the vee. If you're using .035 wire you may need slightly higher amperage and speed. However if you sort of weave your weld it should fill. Practice on a some scrap first.

You want your weld to sound like bacon frying.

Charlie

Radical Brad
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
The process is mainly to keep them together for drilling, and any weld will due.

Brad

CharlieChops
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
My misunderstanding - I thought...thicker tabs....Duh.

Charlie