PDA

View Full Version : 12 VDC LED light ideas

JayRay
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi All,
I am building a LoadRunner Trike and am considering a 12 VDC light setup using a small 12 Volt battery commonly used in house alarm systems as
backup power. I want to use LED's to minimize power consumption. I also want to use smaller more discreet lighting than the normal trailer light kits.
I found this site while searching the web. They have a lot of options for all of your projects. I found a lot of nice ideas in the "accent lighting" section but there are a lot of choices in all of the categories. http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Jay

greenevegiebeast
09-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Jay I have been bondering an idea similar to yours. With a couple of difrences. I want to ad a solar panel to help recharge the battery, and I want eather a radio or mp3 player adon eacher throigh a 12v jack or hard wired in for head phones. I listen to alot of audiobooks as well as read alot.

I found a solar panel about the right size at Harbor freight, I was thinking of hacking a led flash light. I would require some sort of voltage step down sence hany of them are designed to rin on 3v or less. .

Dave X10
09-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I found a solar panel about the right size at Harbor freight, I was thinking of hacking a led flash light. I would require some sort of voltage step down sence hany of them are designed to rin on 3v or less. .

I built an (AZ All Terrain) robot. I had decided I wanted my robot to just live outside... and look for it's own food too. So I added a couple of those Harbor Freight panels. They seem to be doing the job!

http://www.geocities.com/davelanthorn/red2sep.GIF

P.S. If you'd like to see a nice selection of 12V LED lighting... check out a truck stop.

greenevegiebeast
09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
You can get 1157, 1156, 3057, led replacement bulbs at any auto parts store. most auto parts stores cary led trailer light, and all are designed for a 12v system. Although If you wnat a flasher eather buy or build your own flasher circit. The auto motive flashers wastto much energy in heat. Yess that includes those nice heavy duty "Electronic" ones.

I have tryed to make my own flasher out ov a gm style flasher, and some 1157 bulbs , both led and regular. The system drained 2 6v lantern batteryes in 5 min flat.

savarin
09-27-2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.autospeed.com/A_109714/cms/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/A_109715/cms/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_109716/article.html
Some how to's

JayRay
09-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the ideas about lighting and the website links!

I actually have a 12 volt solar panel that was left in my car by the dealer when I bought it, they use them for cars sitting on the lot. I had forgotten about it. It should be perfect to recharge my battery while daytime riding. If not I will check out the one at Harbor Freight. I was just making up a shopping list for them!

I will most likely be tying 3 or 4 of the home alarm backup batteries together and putting them in a box behind the seat in front of the cargo area. They are small and should power some LED running lights for awhile.

This battery is like the ones I will be using:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/resources/product_images/zoom/rad_SLA1055.jpg

Well I am full of ideas, I guess I better start building now :)
Jay

greenevegiebeast
10-01-2008, 12:38 AM
To steel an idea from the kid around here, they are using the 7.2 volt rc batteries to power neon lights on their bikes. I asked one kid when he came throughthe store how long they last he said it ran the noen light for three days befoe he had to recharge.

JayRay
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Ah Greenevegiebeast,
Thanks for that tip!
Neon lights and RV batteries, hmm?
Now I am off on a whole new quest!
Jay

greenevegiebeast
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Ray Im talking about the rc car batteries, if you use two battery packs that would give you 14.4 volts to play with.:D

Dave X10
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the ideas about lighting and the website links!

I actually have a 12 volt solar panel that was left in my car by the dealer when I bought it..........
I will most likely be ........ home alarm backup batteries .......This battery is like the ones I will be using:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/resources/product_images/zoom/rad_SLA1055.jpg

Amps X(times) Volts = Watts. Meaning 5ah battery X 12Volts (its a 12V battery) = 60. Which would mean a VERY bright 1 watt LED should last somewhere near 60 hours of use. (2 watts would = 30 hours). Or... a 5 amp (60 watts) draw (the batterys max) would last around (likely slightly less then) 1 hour.

JayRay
10-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Sorry Greenevegiebeast that "RV" was a typo on my part. My nephew had an RC truck he used to run around my yard so I know the batteries you mean, thanks.

Dave X10 I have 4 of those batteries that I was going to tie together in parallel. Does that mean I would have 20ah total? If yes I would have 20ah x 12 volt = 240 watts.

The truck marker lights I am looking at on www.superbrightleds.com do not list the wattage of each light unit. They do list the amperage they draw and it is only .024 to .070 amps @ 12 VDC per light so that would be 0.288 to 0.84 watts each.

If I am figuring it right at those rates I should be able to safely, and tastefully light my vehicle with plenty of power to spare, I hope. :o

Now, I will still need a headlight!

Thanks guys!
Jay

Dave X10
10-02-2008, 08:20 AM
....... I would have 20ah x 12 volt = 240 watts.

The truck marker lights I am looking at ........ list the amperage they draw and it is only .024 to .070 amps @ 12 VDC per light so that would be 0.288 to 0.84 watts each.

Yep your math looks good. If you have an amp draw (.024 & .070) you can just subtract the amps. Thats the great thing about LEDs. Your can start figuring run times (on battery) in the DAYS instead of hours.

Hurracane Ike recently left me without electric for 8+ days. My LED flashlights really worked well... none needed battery replacement.

JayRay
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Dave X10,
I am sorry to hear about your recent run in with hurricane Ike.
I hope all is well now for you and yours and that things are back to normal for you.
Jay

TheKid
10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep your math looks good. If you have an amp draw (.024 & .070) you can just subtract the amps. Thats the great thing about LEDs. Your can start figuring run times (on battery) in the DAYS instead of hours.

So with a 12V, 12AH battery, if I have four lights, 2@.024A and 2@.07A, for a total of .188A, I would think that you'd divide 12 by .188, which would give you about 63.2 hours, or 2.6 days. Is that correct?

Pagan Wizard
10-04-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi All,
I am building a LoadRunner Trike and am considering a 12 VDC light setup using a small 12 Volt battery commonly used in house alarm systems as
backup power. I want to use LED's to minimize power consumption. I also want to use smaller more discreet lighting than the normal trailer light kits.
I found this site while searching the web. They have a lot of options for all of your projects. I found a lot of nice ideas in the "accent lighting" section but there are a lot of choices in all of the categories. http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Jay

Great find JR!! This site is loaded with all sorts of bulbs for use around the house as well as bulbs for your bike or other projects. I like the idea of LED home lighting as opposed to to the CFL's that everyone has been using for a few reasons.

1-They save as much if not more $$$ on electricity as CFL's.
2-They can be easily dimmed without having to buy a special dimmer switch.
3-No toxic fumes to worry about poluting the environment with if you should accidentally break one.
4-No special recycling is required after the bulb burns out.

Yes they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

xPosTech
10-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Y'all ought to check out the batteries/solar chargers made for game feeders at Academy. 4.5AH sealed lead acid battery 8 bucks generic, $15 name brand. Whole kits (solar charger & battery) $30 and less.

These are SLA battery based systems with timers that automatically release and spread feed for deer, ducks, fish, etc. from 30 and 55 gallon drums.

Huh . . . just tried to search their website for these with no luck. Only thing I can say is go to an Academy and take a look at their feeder accessories and parts. Very reasonable prices, some of the best I've seen.

Ted

Pagan Wizard
10-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Y'all ought to check out the batteries/solar chargers made for game feeders at Academy. 4.5AH sealed lead acid battery 8 bucks generic, $15 name brand. Whole kits (solar charger & battery) $30 and less.

These are SLA battery based systems with timers that automatically release and spread feed for deer, ducks, fish, etc. from 30 and 55 gallon drums.

Huh . . . just tried to search their website for these with no luck. Only thing I can say is go to an Academy and take a look at their feeder accessories and parts. Very reasonable prices, some of the best I've seen.

Ted

Got a link to their site??

xPosTech
10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Got a link to their site??

GVB would recognize their site as being in the stone age. Here's a link to some of their solar panels (http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/feed/feeder_accessories&start=6). Their site leaves much to be desired. Most of their pages suggest "Visit a store near you" link to their store finder.

I think they're targeting impulse shoppers by limiting the items listed online. The website has (at least that I can find) no listings for the batteries with charge controllers.

Academy Sports and Outdoors (http://www.academy.com/)

Ted

greenevegiebeast
10-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Here is sme thing you might get a charge out of

http://www.batteriesplus.com/manufacturer/73-0/Mobility-and-Wheelchair-Batteries.aspx

Give them a shot for the batterys.

As for the stone age remark, just becase I ride a donasur to work, geesh.:D

GregLWB
11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi, I've been lurking for about six months and this is my second post. I bought the Evil Genius book a while ago and was planning on building a delta trike this winter but have decided to build the Tourmaster first.

I currently am riding a LWB recumbent (LaBent by LaDue). I had him build the frame last winter and I did the rest. I commute on it 2 or 3 days a week to Salem (53 miles round trip) and in September I installed a GEBE 35cc Robin/Subaru 4 stroke motor. The best mileage I have gotten was 212 mpg but my average is about 200 mpg. This is while riding at just under 30 mph.

The reason I put the info about the bike was to underline the fact that I need really bright lights and I run them all the time (day or night).

Readers Digest version - I bought a set of driving lights from Walmart (~$16). The lights are chrome teardrop shape and look nice. They come with 50W MR16 bulbs (like for track lighting). I then purchased two 20W Narrow Spot bulbs that a local lighting store ordered for me (~$2.50 ea.). I got a 9.5Ah 12V Battery from Batteries Plus and a smart charger(~about $63 for both) for it that uses a flat 2 pin connector (attached 2 pin pigtail to battery). I also picked up a 3 LED trailer side marker light at Walmart and mounted that to the back of my fender and wired all the lights through a marine switch to the battery.

The lights last about 3.5 hours in real world use (I only run one of the headlights at a time in daylight and I run them both in the dark). This set up is so bright and lasts so long that a couple of my friends who had very expensive bike lighting systems that they purchased have put those on bikes they don't use much and built a system like mine. In addition to these lights I use a Planet Bike Superflash taillight and I have a 1W LED Planet Bike Blaze as a backup for the front.

Before you all giggle at me for the overkill, I have truck drivers moving over to the next lane to give me extra room.

savarin
11-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Before you all giggle at me for the overkill, I have truck drivers moving over to the next lane to give me extra room.

And that alone makes everything worthwhile!