PDA

View Full Version : My welder is hotter now!

SirJoey
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Finally resumed welding today, after 5 1/2 weeks off. First time since the fire,
& first time since the guy at National Welders changed me to a smaller wire size.

Anyway, this thing is a lot hotter now! Don't know if it's due to the smaller wire size,
or the fact that it's a whole lot shorter run of wire supplying power to the shop now, but I like it.

Out of only 4 power settings on the welder, I used to have to weld nearly everything on 3,
the second hottest setting. Now, even 2 is too hot for some things, & 1 now seems about equal to what 3 used to be!

This thing is smokin' now!

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9206/signaturehalloweenvr0.jpg

AtomicZombie
10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Now we are in for trouble! The gallery will once again grow as you start making the sparks fly.

Brad

KoolKat
10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Yay! Resume the insanity!!

John Lewis
10-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Good to see you back welding Sir J.

I'd say the hotter weld would be almost entirely due to your shorter cable run. I notice mine is very different if I use a long extension cord. So new shorter cable perhaps heavier gauge? all adds up to less resistence/impedence and a hotter welder.

John Lewis

TheKid
10-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Ditto. When I went to a shorter extension cord and upped it to 12ga, the welds got better and hotter.

SirJoey
10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured. That was the only bad thing about the bus's previous location,
a long run of cable from the power pole to the Mom's little storage building, then an extension cord from there to the bus! :eek:

Bad, I know, & hard on the welder, but there wasn't anything I could do about it at the time.

My Dad, rest his soul, was an electrician, but when he wired it up a few years ago,
it was never intended to support a welder or anything else that would use that much power.
It was really just for a couple of lights & small power tools.

Although I really hate having that ugly monstrosity (the bus) parked up here near the house,
the silver lining is that it's extremely convenient now, & with a short run of cable supplying power to the bus,
& no extension cords involved, the welder works much better, & I don't have to worry about burning it up! :)

trikeman
10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
When I switched my 120v wire welder from a very marginal garage circuit with a long extension cord with too small wires to a healthy circuit near the main breaker box and put it on a #10 wire extension cord, it was like I had bought a new welder. Man it is hot now, so I know where you are coming from on that. I think a lot of the dissing that 120v welders get is related to the fact that many homes are built with lousy wiring to the garage and people buy those crappy 50' extension cords labeled "Heavy Duty, but containing only small wires."

macka
10-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Joey,

Hope you don't run out of projects :D

SirJoey
10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I hear ya, TM. That's exactly the way it seems for me, like I bought a new welder.
This thing is more than hot enough now to do anything I'll ever need to use it for.

Macka, no danger of that for awhile! :D

ggriffin924
10-16-2008, 08:11 AM
My shop is at the end of a 100 ft extension cord, I will have to try moving the welder back to the house, and see if it picks up. I"m having trouble welding some 3/16" stuff, just not hot enough. I hope it makes a difference. I have it all the way turned up right now in the shop and not getting it hot enough.

-Griffin-

macka
10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
My shop is at the end of a 100 ft extension cord, I will have to try moving the welder back to the house, and see if it picks up. I"m having trouble welding some 3/16" stuff, just not hot enough. I hope it makes a difference. I have it all the way turned up right now in the shop and not getting it hot enough.

-Griffin-

that should do the trick, unless you upgrade the wiring in your shop. I noticed all the 220 machines in class were hooked to 8G and larger wires, and the extension cords were all 4G or better.

rickairmed
01-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Joey it is also the welding wire in the machine . The smaller wire actually burns hotter .

Rick