View Full Version : DR Near Competion

10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Fenders and tool bin installed, front head tube reset for less trail, pilot head tube reset to match the front for easy steering. All that's left is to decide whether to use a chain idler or tubes, do some touch-ups, and install the lights when the turn signals and brake lights arrive.

10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Very nice look9ing work kid. It looks like a factory made machine. I like the chain wheels in matching color.

10-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh Yeah!, Kid! That's a nice looking ride. DR is my next project..you've just raised the bar!

10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Super sharp, Kid! Looks like you got a real nice finish outta that paint!
Love those fenders, man! Cargo box is another big plus too, IMO.
Another outstanding job, congrats!

10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey, where did you purchase that sweet trike??

Great job.

10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys. The paint is Dupicolor cherry red truck and van paint. The fenders are Duplicolor truck and van paint also. I like using lacquer for the fast curing. Once the touchups are done, It'll be partially disassembled for clear coating. The chain guards are worn 44 and 50 tooth chainrings with the teeth ground down, with a 34 tooth chainring between them. It's the crankset I had on the Fox, which is getting a 42 tooth single pc. crankset. Thanks to Joey, I have new bearings for it.
Due to rewelding pits and voids, I was able to avoid using bondo on the welds. It took more time to weld, but I think it's a wash considering the time involved applying and sanding two part body fillers, or waiting for glazing putty to dry before sanding.

John Lewis
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey, Nice build kid. Looks like its just off the showroom floor. The colour looks great. Should be a sweet ride.

Like your reuse of old chainrings as guard. Good thinking.

John Lewis

10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks.I had a hard time finding cheap guards, so I asked my LWB owner if he had any old chainrings. He gave me two that he just replaced for a customer. He had a few more with BCD's I couldn't use.
I was worried the ride would become harsher without the front suspension, but so far there's no noticeable difference, even over small bumps. But the roads here are fairly smooth, so it's hard to tell. I trust this fork over the cheap suspension fork for the eventual hub motor, which is why I changed it.

10-21-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm with Brad, Kid... quit trying to take credit for a trike that you bought from the trike store! :D

Seriously though, that really is one nice lookin' ride!

Really clever, using the ground down chainrings as guards, too. Another "Kid idea" that I'll have to borrow... ;)

10-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks good. I really like how you ran your front brake cable. Did you use a fitting where it goes through the tubing or just drill it at an angle and glue it in?

10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Kid could you post some pics of your seat mounting, im courous. I like the boat seat idea, and want to see how you did it, i may coppy it or come up with somthing else. as is my dr will be carring a heave load(me).

10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
The cable holes were drilled at an angle and filed. There's no glue, the cables are tight.
The seat mounts are two pieces of bed frame (1 1/4" angle iron) 12" long, with a 1 1/2" notch to straddle the seat riser, and spaced to match the boat seat mounting holes. The seat post matches the angle of the boat seat. Boat seats come with four 1/4" mounting screws, which in combination with the seat post, are quite sufficient. Here's a rough drawing:

Richie Rich
10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Excellent job, Ed....!!

It was a long time coming, but well worth the wait.
And you've still got some good riding weather left before Jack Frost steals your ride.

10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
He's BAAAaaack! Glad to see you back on the forum RR! Thanks. I don't care about Jack Frost or any other Jacks or "Old Men" for that matter, I ride in any weather! That's what warm clothes and rain suits are for. I don't like the box on the back, so I just ordered a brandy new one that's larger and needs only one lock.
After figuring out how to build a fairing, I came to the conclusion that the Fox is an easier target, so my lights and turn signals are going on that. However, the AH-OO-GAH horn is going on the DR. The new box has plenty of room for a 34AH battery and the horn. LED lights, turnsignals etc. will be installed next year. In the meantime, after I get a simple fairing on the Fox for wind and rain protection, the next project is a shopping cart/trailer. When hitched to a bike, the front casters are elevated off the ground. When unhitched, the tongue folds up. So when doing my grocery shopping, I just unhitch and wheel the cart in the store, and when done, just rehitch and ride home. I'll be using the 20" BMX wheels that were on the Fox for the rear wheels. The basket will be made from the political lawn sign stands that I'll collect on Nov. 5th.