PDA

View Full Version : Bitex hubs

Doc Hollywood
10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I was doing some searching and contacted the people at Bitex hubs and can get two 20mm 36 hole hubs for $50.00 shipped. Thet are set up for disc brakes but they do not come with axles.

Can I just use threaded rod or what do you suggest?

AtomicZombie
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
The best plan is a 20mm axle with a hollow center. If you don't want to pay to have those made, cut off some grade 5 bolts and then use a nylock nut. Whatever you do, do not tighten the nut up too much on the hub, as the bearings are not designed to take axial force.

Also, those little endcaps can be removed form the hub to make them narrower.

Brad

John Lewis
10-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I was doing some searching and contacted the people at Bitex hubs and can get two 20mm 36 hole hubs for $50.00 shipped. Thet are set up for disc brakes but they do not come with axles.

Can I just use threaded rod or what do you suggest?

I have Bitex hubs on my factory built trike. They are not 20mm though. The axle is about 12 mm or so. It is a high tensile allen headed bolt. A washer has been brazed to the top. The bolt screws into a threaded tube welded in the stem tube and is lock nutted with a nylock nut.
There is a crush tube between the two ball races in the hub. You should of course not overtighten.

I'll post a photo tomorrow .

John Lewis

ggriffin924
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I am looking for a pair of hubs 20mm that I can use with disc brake also, can you post the link for the rest of us... $50 no bad.

I have been looking at $35/piece plus shipping so this is better providing can find an axle.

-Griffin-

Doc Hollywood
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Griffen,

I contacted Bitex directly and this is thehub I am looking at.

http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/hub-b-DH20M.htm

I was sent an email

The cost of DH20M:14G/36H(S.BK):US$13.5*2=US$27-
The freight cost by Speedpost is US$ 23-

Totally:US$50-

We don't offer the axles and nuts, because the size of axle is not standard from each customer.

Please send your check to :

Ms Judy Hsieh
3099 Falling Waters Lane
Lindenhurst, IL 60046

We will send you the goods as soon as Judy get your check.

I will be ordering soon. I just had to pay flood insurance of 850 bucks so I am tapped out of money this month.

I hope this helps all

TheKid
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I also contacted Judy about the DH12M hubs, which use 12mm axles. I've been using class 12.9 12mm bolts for axles on the Fox, with SA drum hubs. The axles are holding up quite well. The hubs cost $40 for two, and are drop shipped from Taiwan, where they are manufactured. I bought the axles from McMaster Carr. Here's the part number:

91290A654

TheKid
10-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Shipping for 2 hubs is $23, shipping for 6 hubs is $31. If you guys get together, maybe you could buy in bulk, then whoever receives the hubs could send them out. Shipping for 2 hubs within the US by USPS is probably about 7 or 8 bucks with insurance.

jimFPU
10-31-2008, 10:04 AM
So what is a good axle for this? Just make one?

Radical Brad
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
On my experimental sociable tadpole trike, the hollow tubes held up very well...

http://www.lucidscience.com/temp/20mmhubs.jpg

Brad

TheKid
10-31-2008, 03:46 PM
What holds the wheel on the axle? In the pic, it looks like the wheel is just slid onto the hollow tube with nothing holding it in place.

jimFPU
10-31-2008, 04:14 PM
...osmisis...just like steering with USS!!

Radical Brad
10-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I eventually cut the tubes to length then threaded the inside so a bolt could lock the hubs in place.

Brad

What holds the wheel on the axle? In the pic, it looks like the wheel is just slid onto the hollow tube with nothing holding it in place.

theDude
10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Brad, that is a sexxy frame. How did the rest of it hold up? Do you have any pics of the drive system or plans to release a plan? If so, do you need a beta tester :) ? I already started on my Kyoto Cruiser/LodeRunner hybrid but this looks like it would be a great candidate for my next build.

Radical Brad
10-31-2008, 10:28 PM
I wish I had more on the "Tandpole Trike", but when it was done, I thought it was too crampt (shoulder to shoulder) and did not finish it.

Drive system was independant using an axle just behind the front tube so that each rider had their own 36 speeds. The center sprocket then ran to the rear single speed BMX freehub on the rear wheel.

Maybe someday I will revisit the design, placing the seats over the front wheels so width does not become an issue.

Brad

theDude
10-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info Brad. If I ever decide to take it up I'll post the progress. Did you ever consider making it front wheel drive instead of sharing a common drive wheel?

KoolKat
11-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I wish I had more on the "Tandpole Trike", but when it was done, I thought it was too crampt (shoulder to shoulder) and did not finish it.

Drive system was independant using an axle just behind the front tube so that each rider had their own 36 speeds. The center sprocket then ran to the rear single speed BMX freehub on the rear wheel.

Maybe someday I will revisit the design, placing the seats over the front wheels so width does not become an issue.

Brad

"Tandpole"?

Radical Brad
11-01-2008, 01:08 AM
2 answers...

1) Tandpole = tandem tadpole trike
2) Yes, I actually have a design for dual FWD, but it is expensive due to a lot of machined parts.

Brad

John Lewis
11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Here are pics of my bitex hub axles and fittings from my LoGo trike. Hope they help.

John Lewis
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/Axle1.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/Axle2.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/Axle3.jpg

TheKid
11-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks. They help a great deal. The bolts are 20mm in diameter? What's the thread size?

John Lewis
11-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Thanks. They help a great deal. The bolts are 20mm in diameter? What's the thread size?

No, not quite.

These ones the axle bolts are 12mm and the threads are 10mm x 1.5mm. The axle bolt goes through the hub and slides neatly into the tube on the kingpin. Only the last 1/2" or so of the tube is threaded 10mm.

The hole has been bored to two diameters. The bolt screws in and then is locknutted with a nylock as you can see in the picture.

John Lewis

TheKid
11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
OK. Thanks. I have 12mm axles on my Fox with SA drum hubs. I used class 12.9 bolts that aren't stepped down, and aftr about 50 miles, they're holding up just fine. I was initially worried about using them because I loacated the front wheels too close to the seat, and there's a lot of weight on them. The hubs from Bitex with 12mm bearings are $10US cheaper than the 20mm thru hubs, and probably easier to implement. I'm planning on building a quad with 2 SA rear hubs, so maybe I'll use the SA drum hubs from the Fox, and replace them with the bitex hubs. The spindles are already set up for discs, so it won't be a problem.

Locutus
12-04-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the hubs and axles for the Street fox. I'd like to go with 20 mm hubs, but I can't seem to find mating axles that will work with the Street Fox kingpin design. Is there anyone else that can shed some more light on this. My project is dead in the water until I can figure this out. I did find what I think is the 20 mm equivalent to The Kid's McMaster Carr bolt. It's Mcmaster part number 91290A086. Here's a picture. Will these work with the 20 mm Bitex hub or similar?

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20080831/91290A086L.GIF

Radical Brad
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
That bolt will work, but I would not recommend welding it. If you need to weld this bolt, have a hollow one made from mild steel instead.

Brad

Locutus
12-04-2008, 05:52 PM
That bolt will work, but I would not recommend welding it. If you need to weld this bolt, have a hollow one made from mild steel instead.

Brad

I don't think I would need to weld this bolt if the hole in the mounting tab has a good enough fit. I'd rather use the hollow axles made for this type of hub though. But I can't seem to find them. Do you know where I can find such hubs? I've heard of some made of aluminum and I want to avoid those. There may be some made of chromoly or titanium and those would be best, but steel would be good too.

Locutus
12-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Brad

Another concern I have is addressing the issue of left handed threads for the left wheel. I'm thinking that if I can't find a left hand threaded bolt, I'll need to insert it the same direction for both wheels, that is, from left to right (facing forward). So on the left wheel the bolt head would be on the outside with the nylock nut threaded on at the inside of the tab. The right wheel would have the bolt head on the inside of the tab with the nylock nut on the outside of the hub.

Do the 20 mm hollow bike front axles come with both right and left handed threads? If so, where can I find them? Will my left side wheel, right hand thread solution work or will it present its own set of problems?

Locutus
12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I received some more information today from Judy at Bitex. They can provide both hubs and rims, but she does not recommend shipping a pre-spoked wheel buildup due to labor and shipping costs. The axles would be custom built by them so she doesn't recommend that I buy those either, unless I can arrange a group buy for a larger quantity than the pair I will need.

So here's what I'll be ordering from Bitex:

1).DH20M(w/EZO bearing):US$16*2=US$32
2).XR-240:20" deep-V Rim:US$10*2=US$20
The freight cost: US$37-
Total :32+20+37=US$89-

Here's what Judy had to say about the axles and wheel build:

"The following we don't recommend:
1). The exact length of the spokes can only be measured when it's assembled.
2). If you only need 2 axles, it will be very expensive since the cost of CNC is calculated by second.
3). It will cost you too much money to ship the complete wheel due to the size and weight

"If you are able to work with other members to get a group order on the wheels, the manufacturing and shipping cost will be more acceptable. Otherwise, it will cost too much."

She also confirmed that building a three-wheel braking system is possible with their brakes, but she didn't go into details on how to do it.

The other question I had for them was about their differential gear. Judy sent me a picture but didn't give me a price. I'll try to get that and post it later. This is what she did say about it:

"Please see attached file below. We only have one type of gear available, only the length of axles are different. You may want to confirm to see what length will work with the delta trikes. It will depend on the design, and we will not be able to make accurate recommendations."

Here's a picture of the differential:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Locutus59/Workshop/differentialgear.jpg?t=1229399137

Here are drawings of their DH20M and DH12M front trike hubs:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Locutus59/Workshop/DH-20MB.jpg?t=1229401187

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Locutus59/Workshop/DH12M.jpg?t=1229401346

...And here's a cross sectional drawing of the rims they sell:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Locutus59/Workshop/img032.jpg?t=1229401743

More information to come.

Bodhi
07-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Do you have a higher resolution picture of the hubs? I can't read the details on the print. Thanks.

John Lewis
07-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Another concern I have is addressing the issue of left handed threads for the left wheel. I'm thinking that if I can't find a left hand threaded bolt, I'll need to insert it the same direction for both wheels, that is, from left to right (facing forward). So on the left wheel the bolt head would be on the outside with the nylock nut threaded on at the inside of the tab. The right wheel would have the bolt head on the inside of the tab with the nylock nut on the outside of the hub.

Do the 20 mm hollow bike front axles come with both right and left handed threads? If so, where can I find them? Will my left side wheel, right hand thread solution work or will it present its own set of problems?

Loc, Our trikes use bitex hubs. They are held on with normal threaded Allen head bolts that thread into a tube welded to the kingpin. They then have a nylock nut locknut on the rear.

John Lewis