PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistakes

Trailblazzzzzer
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Alright call me a Dufuss….
But maybe others can benefit from my stupidity (if not just for the humor alone).

I ran into anew problems on my build that may be educational for your readers/builders.

I was welding the steering tabs on the front spindles and found out I had welded both spindles with the tab on the same side (which left me with two left hand spindles).

Remember, tack weld first. Shut off welder and fit/check the piece. Then go back, put your helmet on, power up welder and spark the final weld.

I also ran into a big mistake when I went to weld the rear T assembly to the frame.
I had inadvertently welded the bolts to the wrong side of the T Frame.
Both of these mistakes are very easily made and easily avoided, but a lot of work to fix.

Rule of Thumb: If the weld looks fantastic…
…You measured wrong.

Davo :dunce2:

pcorbett
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
You had what is known as a "Horizontal Brain Fart". I had a the same thing once but it was vertical. I made a conduit bike trailer where as the tow bar is two tubes, one under the other, off to one side. Then I welded the the drop outs (4) and then flipped it over, put the wheels on, then draged it over to the bike to ponder the hitch details. Tow bar on the wrong side of the bike! Or was it upside down. Trailer stands in the corner now, only one wheel on, to harrass me. I have resisted cutting it up. This is a sign of weakness, but I think I'll meet it half way and correct the mistake in a calm and orderly fashion. Much latter.

Pete

Radical Brad
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
My favorite... bottom bracket installed in reverse. Most of the time, I just leave it, and have not had any cups come loose yet.

Brad

TheKid
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Worse- put the BB in the right way but wanted it reversed. It was to hold a left side BB cup to accept a freewheel.

Richie Rich
12-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Alright call me a Dufuss….
But maybe others can benefit from my stupidity (if not just for the humor alone).Davo :dunce2:Consider this a 'Learning Experience'. The nice part is that things like this are easily fixed and second, you'll never make those mistakes again.

....Richie....

SirJoey
12-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Not as bad as my blooper when I first made the down tube for the Kroozer.
Cut it to length, both angles were just right, notched the end for the head tube & had a near perfect fit!
Too bad I notched the WRONG end! Since the angle was different on each end, I couldn't just reverse it.
Had to start all over... :dunce2:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/539/christxsigsmalloq2.jpg

TheKid
12-03-2008, 10:03 AM
you'll never make those mistakes again.

You're wrong.

macka
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
You're wrong.

he's right, any mistake made once can be made again. Ask me, I am the king of oops :jester:

jimFPU
12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
...they're not mistakes, they're developmental learning opportunities!:1eye:

I like to call it 'Boy School.' My wife asked me once why I called those oops moments that, I had to explain:

'There are certain things in life that must be learned by trial and error or repetition=Boy School!! Girls just don't understand!!'

Trailblazzzzzer
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
...they're not mistakes, they're developmental learning opportunities!:1eye:

I like that, I will use that one again.
I call it OOPS CAMP

I like the idea of leaving the OOPS in the corner to stare at you.
A constant reminder to "Measure Twice - Cut Once"

You are right I will prolly do that again.
Nice to know I am not alone.

We need a school song for our Alma Matter - Boy School

Weld, Grind, measure, cuss, grind, reweld
Davo

xddorox
12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I call it R&D :)