PDA

View Full Version : MIG welding

tbdale
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I got the attachment to add shielding gas to my Lincoln 115 v wire feed welder turning it into a MIG. (For Christmas) played with it a bit today and am impressed so far with the clean welds. I haven't figured out the settings yet but like the early results. there is no splatter.

rickairmed
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Dale did you remember to switch the polarity on the machine and did you switch to solid wire :D.

Rick

tbdale
12-27-2008, 09:43 PM
I did swich the polarity and add solid wire. I also instaled smaller inner cable and different tip. All the stuff to switch over was in the kit from lincoln.

rickairmed
12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Good deal Dale now you can start doing like me and forget to turn the bottle on half the time :D. I just went on the bottle this year and its been so long ince I had a bottle it will take me a while to remember to turn the dang thing on every time . I guess at least I remember to turn it off every time LOL. I also upgraded to a 220V 185 amp mig this year.

Rick

tbdale
12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Do you like the 220 a lot better .......or just for thicker steel?

rickairmed
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Dale mostly it was the ability to weld thicker stuff . I have a 1963 F100 I plan to Restorod someday but I do like the ability to weld thicker steel with the bigger welder on the bikes as well .

Rick

rickairmed
12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Dale I ran a stick machine for years actually did it for a living for a little while . My home machine was a miller dialarc 250 AC/DC machine which was basically an industrial machine I got a deal on but it was a power hungry beast so I decided to try MIG/Flux welding and picked up a little 110 volt from HF . I wish now I hadnt sold it as it was not like the 110 volt machines HF carries now it could run gas or no gas and the gun wasnt hot till you pulled the trigger . I upgaded to the larger MIG this year after selling off the Huge Dialarc stick machine. I ended up with a Maxus PRO-180 sold at TSC . I was looking at the Hobart 185 and happened to look at this machine same basic specs same warranty and about $200.00 cheaper even with the Hobart on sale which paid for the Bottle . I have been quite happy with this machine and even surprised at what it is capable of for such a small package .

Rick

Trailblazzzzzer
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a Lincoln Mig welder too.
For Christmas I got myself an Argon bottle.
I also finished getting my OxyAct together.
A buddy had given me two small bottles, O2 & acetylene and a torch with 3 heavy duty industrial guages that he had never used . No hoses though.
I went to my local welding supply store (in Etown) to get hoses and gas.
Well, I failed to stick to my "hardware store" budget and I took in my Credit Card.
I bought a new O/A set up, got my tanks filled bought the Argon bottle, some brazing rod, some solid Mig wire, a second set of hoses for Propane (for heating and cutting).
I bought a couple flap disks, and some gloves.
Well, I doubled the cost of my StreetFighter with that trip.
But, I had a good Christmas.
See, I was a good boy all year.
(up till then)
Davo
p.s. big welding party at my house, byob

rickairmed
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
LOL Trailblazer I am having a weding party at my house currently building the Baby Baby Streetfox Tadpole . I need to download some pics from my camera and get them loaded up.

Rick