PDA

View Full Version : Question about Chains

Trailblazzzzzer
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I checked out our buddy Sheldon Brown but could not get my answer.
I figured y'all would be able to help me.
I have a couple of KMC chains I bought new and when I went to install them, I noticed they were 9 speed chains.
I am using a SunTour 7 speed freewheel with a Shimano 105 double crank.
Will be able to use these chains or should I use the ones I scavanged off donor bikes??
Help
Davo :rolleyes4:

rickairmed
12-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Davo from what I understand theres only really 2 types of bike chains single speed and multi speed with that in mind wrap the chain around a sprocket if it sets down on the sprocket ok then it will work if it doesnt you need the other type :D.

Rick

greenevegiebeast
12-31-2008, 09:16 AM
there are difrent width chains, wally world only sells two single speed anf multiple speed. there are narower multispeed chains.

in anser to your question, yes your 9 speed chain should work. I would test fit it to the freewheel first though. there is a slim chance that the teeth on the freewheel may be to thick for it(slim though that might be.)

TheKid
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
The problem with 9 speed chain is that the plates are thinner, and are subject to stretching and coming apart. There are chains designated as 6-7 speed, (Usually cheaper in price than 9 speed) which are more durable. If you could return the 9 speed chain in exchange for 6-7 speed chain, I'd do it. If not, the 9 speed chain will work, but keep your eye on it.

Radical Brad
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, those chains made for freehubs with more then 6 or 7 rings stretch like crazy. Even new, I have worn them out in a few weeks on recumbents. I could never grasp the need for more than 6 rings in the back and 2 up front, it just sems like a marketing trick more than anything. Remember 200x digital zoom on cameras.... what a joke.

Ok, I can admit the the really small front ring would be handy for those that actually live in the mountains, but more than 18 speeds on a bike is just silly. I would probably use 3 spead internal gear hubs ig they were not so prone to damage and inefficient. 3 speeds would be perfect.... low for heavy hauling or steep climbs. Mid for starting and general cruising. High for all out speed.

Brad

newrider3
12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Pssh, real men ride SS!

greenevegiebeast
01-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Old men, and smart men ride ms.

Trailblazzzzzer
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey thanks for the great info.
I think I will use the new chains. I only bought 2 - 114 link chains. I will need to buy one more (dang) to get another 24 links.
I am using a MS rear cassette so I can get fast, faster, dang fast, faster than pig spit, and lighting fast.
I am working on perfecting a new pedal powered space shuttle.
Yeah, thats it... a pedal powered space shuttle.
The hills here in Kentucky have absolutely nothing to do with using 7 speed cassette.
Just so y'all know I am not a "girly man".
Happy New Year Y'all
Davo

Trailblazzzzzer
01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Tehehehehehe,
I just purchased 27 feet of brand spankin new KMC 3/32" chain.
Cost me a whoppin $5.50 and shippin.
Should solve my problem with needing an additional 24 links.
Any body need some chain, let me know.
Davo :sunny:

newrider3
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Where?!

Trailblazzzzzer
01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
It was posted by an indiviual on ebay. not a bike store.
Let me know if you need some, heck i only want enough for this 'bent and maybe one more.
First come first serve.
Davo

newrider3
01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Check your PMs.