PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clarification

lioni05
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
In the plans for the LodeRunner it says to use 2 inch diameter mild steel tubing for the frame. However at one point i the same paragraph it also says "your best bet is to tell them you want a length of 1.5 inch square tubing with a wall thickness as close to .0625 inch (1/16) as you can get." Is this a typo? I should be using mild steel tubing that is 2 inch square right. I really apologize if I am missing something here. thanks for the help!

rickairmed
01-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Lioni welcome to the crew . I am pretty sure thats a typo and you want the 2" tube for the loadrunner but I am sure Brad will pop in to verify this as I know he does use 1.5" on most of his desighns . The 2" would make sense though since this desighn is meant to carry more weight than the others.

Rick

Blaxmyth
01-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Yes, it does look like a typo. Further on down it talks about the 2" tubing again.

I'm looking forward to starting this as my next build. Just finishing off the Vigilante at the moment.

SirJoey
01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Yeah Lioni, it's supposed to be 2", cuz in this thread I started before buying the plans:
(http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=1669),
I started out by asking Brad about using 1 1/2" instead, for a slightly lighter-duty LR,
which is exactly what I ended up doing, in fact.

Welcome to the Krew, BTW! :)

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

lioni05
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I have been haunting this forum for a bit and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that's here. Sir Joey - your build looks pretty epic and I like some of the modifications I've seen in the other build in the thread below. The sad part for me is that I already cut and welded up the box and boom w/ 1.5 inch tubing. I just couldn't believe that the plans called for 2 inch tubing...it just looks huge! I suppose I will find something to make out of it. Truth be told my welds were pretty bad anyway! Good news is that i bought 2 inch tubing just in case. So i have that on hand and can get started this weekend....Thanks again!

Radical Brad
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes, that was a typo, thanks for pointing it out! I am so used to saying 1.5" that it must have been automatic.

Brad

In the plans for the LodeRunner it says to use 2 inch diameter mild steel tubing for the frame. However at one point i the same paragraph it also says "your best bet is to tell them you want a length of 1.5 inch square tubing with a wall thickness as close to .0625 inch (1/16) as you can get." Is this a typo? I should be using mild steel tubing that is 2 inch square right. I really apologize if I am missing something here. thanks for the help!

SirJoey
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
The sad part for me is that I already cut and welded up the box and boom w/ 1.5 inch tubing. I just couldn't believe that the plans called for 2 inch tubing...it just looks huge! I suppose I will find something to make out of it.Dude, if you've already started, why not just go ahead & build it out of 1 1/2, like I did?
Or are you dead set on building an ultra heavy-duty monster out of 2" tubing? :eek:

lioni05
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I probably need the extra duty frame. I have an Etek motor laying around that is just itching to be used on a project. Being that I can't really afford a LiFePo4 battery pack, I will probably have to use some fairly hefty lead based batteries to power the Etek. I can imagine when it's all said and done the loaded bike weight will be significant enough to justify the 2 inch tubing. It just looks so massive though! BTW, your extra frame support for the battery box is nice. I may have to use that idea...thanks again all.

SirJoey
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, Lioni, I wouldn't think it would be a prob,
but I don't know how much weight you plan on hauling, either.

For me, I'm gonna have 150 lbs of battery weight, plus a cargo box.
I don't anticipate hauling over 100 lbs of cargo, so I'm expecting TOTAL
cargo weight to be 250 lbs or less, which Brad says shouldn't be a problem
for a frame built from 1 1/2" tubing.

Additionally, I'm only using 36-spoke wheels.