PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

zobman
01-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Hs anyone tried thi and how do you like it?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=98753&submit2=find+it

tadner
02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
zobman, The link you provided isn't good. Try reposting the link.

Greenhorn
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/98700-98799/98753.gif

tadner
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't think I can be much use on this. While I've been diagnosed as a tooloholic, this is one I'm not familiar with. What is it?

P.S. I refuse to go to counseling for my "condition."

greenevegiebeast
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
its a spot welder, only realy usfull on thin metal. Think auto assembly. the robots have theis on the end of their arms(or somthing very similar) the can be used to tack, thats about it.

Wood Butcher
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
It's actually a stitch welder, and greenevegiebeast is right, it's use is pretty much limited to auto body repair. It's primarily intended for someone who is doing auto restoration work, already has a stick welder, and doesn't want to spring for a MIG, TIG or O/A rig.

A description from The Eastwood Company web site explains how it works:

The Eastwood stitch welder has several specially designed circuits to reduce or control a conventional arc welder's high output. It can be used in two modes: direct circuit or diode reducing. These settings are adjusted with a small screwdriver at the base of the handle. Don't tighten the screw too much-just make it snug. The other circuit is a solenoid coil, which passes all welding current en route to the electrode. The electrode holder is spring loaded and vibrates. When current passes through the coil the electrode and arc are then pulsed thousands of times a minute to create an interrupted arc. This creates the amperage control necessary to weld thin gauge metal. It can be attached to any AC arc welder that can be set at a low amp output-usually 50 amps. If you can't go down that low, use the diode mode to cut the amp output by half.