PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

gphil
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Gphil here, What do most of you fellas do, purchase a complete wheel or wheels or just the rim? Found a place with reasonable prices on wheels and would need to take the sokes out versus a rim etc. Where would you get rims reasonably? The shops seem high to me. Also rim width, 1.5 ??? Would not like a thin tire and as advertised the mountian bike wheels seem ok. Give a little hint and I'll go from there. Got pieces cut and ready to weld and maybe can send pics soon. Have fun and later.

MoeMac
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Gphil here, What do most of you fellas do, purchase a complete wheel or wheels or just the rim? Found a place with reasonable prices on wheels and would need to take the sokes out versus a rim etc. Where would you get rims reasonably? The shops seem high to me. Also rim width, 1.5 ??? Would not like a thin tire and as advertised the mountian bike wheels seem ok. Give a little hint and I'll go from there. Got pieces cut and ready to weld and maybe can send pics soon. Have fun and later.

Hi Gphil...

Myself, I made all my bends with existing wheels from donner bikes... I get mine through my local Kijiji and because I am a big Chopper Fan, last summer I was lucky and hit the jackpot on many teen chops!

If you check the gallery the 3rd row from the top is all four of my chops... My fav is the 4.25" Phat Boy... I also found nice wheels on some BMX's

For my recumbents I used Cruiser wheels... was lucky and stumble on a Tim Horton special edition with a 5 gear 26" Phat and I added a front 3 chainring... was able to convet to 15 speed...

Most of my Kijiji puchases never went over 80.00 ... got lots under 40.00

Hope this helps?

TheKid
02-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Donor bikes are the way to go. There are free bikes in people's trash, and from LBS's. If you buy parts from a LBS, chances are the owner will give you bikes taken as a trade which many times are trashed. Cheap donors are available from second hand stores, police auctions and Craigslist to name a few sources.

sksound5
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
try freecycle in your area, i have got 1 great mongoose and 2 80's 10 speeds, plus 2 20 schwinn front rims for nothing. Just put a request to free cycle and wait for donors. I have 3 freecycle groups in 50miles and got my bikes over 2 weeks

rickairmed
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I have gotten most of my parts bikes from freecycle ,cheapcycle and craigslist . Goodwill stores are a decent place to look but their prices are usually a little high to me for something that was given to them .

Rick

GregLWB
03-02-2009, 10:04 AM
gphil - I have had good luck with thrift stores. Stop often and develop a friendship with the manager/owner and they may hold stuff aside and call you when things come in. Another good option is if there is a college near you, a lot of students leave their bikes behind at semesters end. Some colleges auction these off or have someplace they sell them cheap but many end up at thrift stores close to the college.

Greg

Locutus
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I've found most of my donors through Craigslist. Got some free bikes just keeping my eyes open (two I found in front of peoples houses with "free" signs on them. I snag 'em quick when that happens.) Most of the cheap/free bikes are low-end quality in various states of disrepair. Good for frame parts generally, but you may want some better quality for some of your builds.

Right now I'm building a Marauder that will cost less than $100 in donor bike parts, special purchased parts (like the chain pulley) and perishable tools (grinder discs and welding rods, mostly). It can be done cheaply once you have the tools, with the lower end components.

On the other hand, if you want better quality than steel rims, cheap plastic shifters, and lousy brakes, you may need to buy some of your components online. You can find good rims on the 'net for much less than you could buy them at your LBS. For example, my upcoming Electric Street Fox trike build will be for my 20 mile each way commute, so I need the component quality to be first rate, without breaking the bank.

You can buy both hubs and rims from places like Bitex, where I'm getting mine. The prices are quite reasonable but patience is required because their components are built to order in Taiwan.

Bitex makes their own hubs, but they subcontract for rims and brakes. The rims they get from JetSet and Kimlin. Their brakes are hydraulic and cost less than any you can get at your LBS. Here's their website if you're interested:

http://www.bitexhubs.com/

And here's JetSet's website where you can view, but not buy, their rim offerings. Order these through Bitex:

http://www.jetsetrims.com/

Something you should know about Bitex: They are not a retail outlet, but are a manufacturer. So far they have been gracious enough to sell small orders to hobbyists like us, as "samples." In the procurement field I have routinely ordered "evaluation samples" or "engineering samples" from many manufacturers. Bitex appears to be handling these small orders in the same way. In quoting your order, they may be interested in whether you plan any follow-on orders in the near future, or may ask you if you are a manufacturer. Don't let that put you off. They should still fill your order even if it's a one time deal.