View Full Version : Welders

03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Ready to weld and have been relearning the welding tasks. Which welder do most of you use? I have a Sears cheapy 110 wire feed welder and it is just the , well you know. Takes lots of time and I am haveing a time getting a good bead of weld, mostly pigeon poop. Do you think the arc stick type welders are better? I am ready to try something different. Just an old out of practice guy. I will be watching. I know everyone has a favorite just wondering which one is the easiest to work with. Thanks Gphil

03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I use a 120v Hobart Handler 140 wire feeder, and a Miller Thunderbolt 240v AC/DC stick welder. I mostly use the wire feeder with fluxcore wire, since I mostly weld outside.

It is generally easier for a beginner to use a wire feeder welder than a stick. With the stick welder you always have the issue of trying to strike the arc and then chipping off slag. With the wire feeder on gas (MIG) you can pretty easily get pretty welds without nearly as much practice.

That said, I enjoy using the stick too. Brad builds all his bikes with a simple AC only stick. I have mostly built things like welding carts and a motorcyle wheel chock with mine. I built my Delta Wolf with the wire feeder using fluxcore wire.

If I were you, and could only have one welder, I would probably stay with the wire feeder.

If you want to post some pictures of your welds, we can probably give you some better advice. Most of us here have posted some pretty ugly beginners welds, so don't be embarrassed to post em.

03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Mig is by far the easiest to learn . I have a Maxus Pro 180 I snagged at TSC onsale it had the same specs and warranty as the Hobart 187 . I may kick myself someday for not buying the Hobart but so far it has been a great machine . I will add in all honesty most mig welds somewhat look like pigeon poop the fancy stacked dime effect you see on alot of welds is actually usually TIG you can get that effect with MIG if you are using a shielding gas such as C25 but honestly it isnt a better weld it just looks pretty and if not done right it can actually be a worse weld due to lack of penetration.

03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
If you are getting chicken **** welds, you most likely just need to slow down. With enough practice, you can run really nice beads with the cheapest of welders.

03-03-2009, 05:45 AM
I don't have a fancy welder, its a Revolution I picked up cheap. I like gas welding because its so versatile, but I have yet to buy a kit, because for the same price I can grab a thermadyne suitcase welder, then I have to rent some tanks. Maybe the SWMBO will let me get a small gas rig.

Doc Hollywood
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I use a hobart 187 and love the thing plenty of power a dn makes welding so much easier.

03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the information and quick help. I found a little out yesterday from a pro-welder. First a small wire feed 110 such as min needs its own dedicated circuit. If there are lights radios andything operating it will hinder the welder. An excessive extension cord can also hamper it. This I have experenced and just thought it was me. Nedds the argon regulated too. I had the speed of the feed too slow also. The fella laid some dime type welds for me. So the learning process continues. See ya gphil

03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I had mine on a long cord and experienced ;ousy looking welds. When Trikeman and some others suggested going to 10 ga. wire, I did, and it helped immensely. However, I don't have a dedicated circuit. I use one that's for one of the basement circuits. As long as no one is in the basement using the back lights, the only appliance used is the welder. If you have a circuit like that, you won't need to run a new one.