PDA

View Full Version : Delta Differential?

fultondp
03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
I saw this online and wondered if anyone had experience with it. Looks like it could work for the camper project and other delta trikes.

Any thoughts?

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3305

Darren

rickairmed
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Darren I had to add that one to my favs great idea for deltas or quads . Welcome to the krew by the way :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I saw this online and wondered if anyone had experience with it. Looks like it could work for the camper project and other delta trikes.

Any thoughts?

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3305

Darren

It should be fairly stout as they specialize in chain drive gas motor assist systems. From all I have heard they are decent to deal with also.

Greg

Odd Man Out
03-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Do a search thru the forum for "differential" -- you will see it has been discussed. The general consensus is that it adds undo complexity and the standard left wheel drive system is fine for about 95% of all applications. For an HPV to be efficient it needs to be as simple and straight forward as possible -- or else you cross the line into the realm of "if it can be done it should be at least tried" -- which I am all for IF I can travel fast. If it slows me down it is out da door. My zwei phennigs.

Radical Brad
03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Also note that that diff. requires support in 4 places, so you will still need 4 bearings.

Brad

greenevegiebeast
03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
ok whats next fourwheel drive or independent suspension.

dont get me wrong the dif idea is an intresting one but if you look closly at the drawings

there is going to be some major machining to get that design to work realibaly.

im not sayin it cannot be don, im sayin the complication level may noy make it worth it to me

Im a big belever in the K.I.S.S. principles

TheKid
03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
There were times I wish I had a diff. This diff would work well with RR's pinned wheel, or Joey's flanged method. It has 3/4" rather than 1" axles, which makes either method fairly easy. But it's still a lot cheaper to build your own diff as per the plans that were posted earlier.

John Lewis
03-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Looking at the Greenspeed Anura, it appears to have something similar.

Heres a link to the one GS use. I think its pretty pricy though.

http://www.samagaga.com/differential2.html

John Lewis

fultondp
03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Also note that that diff. requires support in 4 places, so you will still need 4 bearings.

Brad

Won't you need that level of support for the camper anyway? I didn't check out the specs, but if you were thinking about putting in a Dana off a Jeep, this might be a lighter alternative.

Darren

PS: I didn't see a specific thread for discussing the camper project, is there one out there I'm not seeing?

Radical Brad
03-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I hope to get an entire website up once I revive the Arcturus project soon. My PMG132 electric motor would shred that diff apart like a wet noodle since it has enough torque to propel a small car up to the speed limit. The batteries alone are going to weigh over 500 pounds, so it's not going to be a small vehicle by any stretch!

Brad

Won't you need that level of support for the camper anyway? I didn't check out the specs, but if you were thinking about putting in a Dana off a Jeep, this might be a lighter alternative.

Darren

PS: I didn't see a specific thread for discussing the camper project, is there one out there I'm not seeing?

fultondp
03-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Darren I had to add that one to my favs great idea for deltas or quads . Welcome to the krew by the way :D.

Rick

Thanks for the hello,

I've been lurking for quite a while. I've built 8 recumbent bikes/trikes for myself/friends/family over about 3 years. I've been a fan of KoolKat and RadicalBrad since book #1. I love some of the new projects in the Evil Genius, and am collecting parts for the Gladiator, which will be my first delta. I'm also planning to do a Marauder Mark II over the summer. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy, and it is all AtomicZombie's fault! (Well not all, but a good chunk anyway. My wife knew I was crazy before, but Brad took it in a whole new direction! :punk:)

You know that one guy in the neighborhood? No, you must be him!

Darren

fultondp
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I hope to get an entire website up once I revive the Arcturus project soon. My PMG132 electric motor would shred that diff apart like a wet noodle since it has enough torque to propel a small car up to the speed limit. The batteries alone are going to weigh over 500 pounds, so it's not going to be a small vehicle by any stretch!

Brad

Okay... so thinking out loud...

2 people are good for what, 1/4 of a horsepower?...and this motor/battery will be 10+ times that much power?... so when does it cross the line from a motor assisted trike to a people assisted car? That why you are RadicalBrad, getting further outside the box every day!

rickairmed
03-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the hello,

I've been lurking for quite a while. I've built 8 recumbent bikes/trikes for myself/friends/family over about 3 years. I've been a fan of KoolKat and RadicalBrad since book #1. I love some of the new projects in the Evil Genius, and am collecting parts for the Gladiator, which will be my first delta. I'm also planning to do a Marauder Mark II over the summer. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy, and it is all AtomicZombie's fault! (Well not all, but a good chunk anyway. My wife knew I was crazy before, but Brad took it in a whole new direction! :punk:)

You know that one guy in the neighborhood? No, you must be him!

Darren

LOL yep Darren I are that guy in the neighborhood :jester::rolleyes4:.

Rick