PDA

View Full Version : Work Bike

cyclesaver
03-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I started my first build back in September of last year,, but it got cold and I upgraded my Dish network package and got lazy with the build, and it pretty much just sat there all winter, then I got transfered to a new plant, which uses trikes for transportation inside. Its an auto plant and as you know, they are all hurting for cash. First thing I heard was, " We cannot afford to buy any new bikes",, so that ment I was walking to my jobs. I am a machine repairman and had to pull my tool box to jobs,, so I decided to build myself a bike to haul my tools. I decided to build another bike, like I already started,, but heavier duty. All the bikes there are trikes, but of the standard style, they are called Workmans trikes, which I found on the internet, and sell for about $800 each. Since this trike will be like NO other in the plant, I figure I might as well go all the way with the "Bling", so on the back, I will have a nice oak tool chest with maybe 5 draws and another shelf under the lift up lid. That aught to really get the attention. It will be about 24 inches square and maybe 25 to 30 inches tall. The bike is about done, except for paint, and next weekend I will be starting on my tool chest. I made it with 1 inch axles to be sure it could handle the weight. It will spend its life rolling around on painted cement floors with a 5 mph speed limit in there. This is the first recombent type bike I have ever ridden and was amazed how much horsepower it takes to make it go,,,, I hope the bike I am making for regular recreational use, will be a lot easier to peddel. It only has 5/8's axle and thinner 10speed type of tires.

http://http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eS0sfDFNU96-fRD-RHxBqg?feat=directlink

rickairmed
03-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Cyclesaver thats a stout lookin trike . I fixed your link for you :D. When ygo to link to a Picture there is already an http in the box so you have to backspace before pasting your link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/visteonguy/WorkBike?feat=directlink#5318442266124740818

Rick

GregLWB
03-29-2009, 12:37 AM
That looks really stout. I can't wait to see it with the tool box.:1eye:

Greg

TheKid
03-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Excellent. A nice oak box will be beautiful on that trike.
What ratio gearing do you have? If geared too high, it's harder to pedal.
For instance, it looks like you have a double crankset up front, 39 tooth and 53 tooth, and judging by the position of the chain in the rear, it looks like you have a mutispeed freewheel, or maybe a cassette. Assuming the largest cog is a 28 tooth, (Also assuming you have a 6 or seven speed rar cluster, 14 tooth-28 tooth) your lowest gear would give you 36 gear inches, kind of high for a heavy trike. 20" wheels would have helped in that regard, bringing the gear inches to 27, still kind of high for that heavy a trike. If you change the cranks to 24-34-42, with 26" wheels, your lowest gear will be down to 22 gear inches. Pedalling at 60 rpm, your speed (Assuming I'm correct about your current gearing) would be:

39t front, 28t rear = 6 mph

24t front, 28t rear = 3 mph.

If you change to the lower gearing, you could achieve 5 mph @ 80 rpm, or change to the next higher gear once you start moving. The next higher gear :

24t front, 24t rear = 4 mph @ 60 rpm, 5 mph @ 70 rpm

If you also commute with it, your highest gear @ 60 rpm would get you to 13 mph, 16 mph @ 70 rpm, 18 mph @ 80 rpm.

greenevegiebeast
03-29-2009, 11:39 AM
rick you need one of those to keep busnes cost down, i could see it with a 35lb freon tanc rack, a tool box, and a hook for your gauge sets.

cyclesaver
03-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Rick for getting my pictures up there. I messed around for a couple of hours trying to get them attached to the post,, and finally tossed my hands up in the air and went to bed.
And, thanks for the information on the gear sets, Kid. What I used came off a typical 10 speed, although I am NOT using the large gear ring on the front, the chain will stay on the smaller sprocket. It just changes in the rear. That will be good enough for inside the factory. All the bikes there in use now, are all single speed. And when ya load em up with a couple of hundred pounds of tools, are quite a strain to get moving. I still have little things to do, like add a pulley under the frame to hold up the loose chain and make the frame on the back that the tool chest will actually bolt to. It should be done this week, except for the painting.

TheKid
03-29-2009, 03:35 PM
What I used came off a typical 10 speed, although I am NOT using the large gear ring on the front, the chain will stay on the smaller sprocket. It just changes in the rear. That will be good enough for inside the factory.

Even better. Typical 10 speed cranks have 39t and 53t, or 40t and 52t chainrings. Plus, you have a single pc. crankset.
If you find you need or want lower gearing, it's easy to change to a smaller, single ring up front without the expense of changing the crankset. You could just use an inexpensive chainring, or if you find a little kid's bike, use the chainring from it. Some of them are as small as 30 or 32t, which would reduce your gearing considerably. If you find a kid's bike, you could also use the chain guard if you wanted to.
And if you decide you want to use a triple crankset in the future, one of these will fit single pc. cranks. It would give you a low gear of 26 gear inches, 4-6 mph @ 60-80 RPM, and a high gear of 89 gear inches, 15-21 mph @ 60-80 RPM. The middle ring would give about the same results you get now, using your smaller ring:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/item/01-97697/1_Piece/Pyramid--28-38-48T%2C-For-1-pc%2C-Black-Chainring&category=1_Piece

rickairmed
03-29-2009, 04:39 PM
rick you need one of those to keep busnes cost down, i could see it with a 35lb freon tanc rack, a tool box, and a hook for your gauge sets.

GVB I have kidded for years I was gonna get a motorcycle with a side car and set it up as a service truck :D.

Rick

cyclesaver
03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Kid,, I do have 2 small bikes in my parts stach,,, If this set up seems not to be able to do the job,, I will change it over to the smaller chain ring and give that a go.

cyclesaver
04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Well the bike goes to work tomorrow. Next weekend I will start on the oak tool chest for the rear of the bike, but for now,, it has a temporary plywood deck in place of the tool chest so I can just pile on my old tool boxes for now. I will give me a chance to work out any bugs in the bike before it gets loaded for good.

cyclesaver
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
ok,, the bike is at work now,, and the first bug has raised its ugly head,,, when I get on the bike and pedal, the round nut inside the pedal set with the 2 grooves in it for a spanner wrench, seems to loosen up and the pedals then wobble and the bearings then get ruined. I am thinking when I mounted the pedal assemble on this bike,, it got turned around and the pedals are now rotating backwards and this is causing the nut to loosen. Does that sound right to you guys ?

trikeman
04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Getting them backwards, would be my first guess.

cyclesaver
04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Well,,, I replaced the destroyed bearings,, and reinstalled the crank set,,, and rode the bike down the road for a bit,, this time it did not loosen up,,, so I guess I will haul it back to work today and try it in the factory,,, Its a complete mystery as to why it kept loosening up,,,,

I rolled a sheet of paper into a cylinder and drew an arrow on the right side to represent the rotation of the pedals, and the sprocket side, and no matter how I rotated the cylinder,, as long as I had the sprocket on the right side it rotated in the right direction,,, so I got to believe, no matter how I mounted the Bottom Bracket on the bike as long as the gears are on the right side,, you cannot get it backwards. So I am at a loss as to why it was loosening up.

GregLWB
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Well,,, I replaced the destroyed bearings,, and reinstalled the crank set,,, and rode the bike down the road for a bit,, this time it did not loosen up,,, so I guess I will haul it back to work today and try it in the factory,,, Its a complete mystery as to why it kept loosening up,,,,

Two questions and they will seem simple but are meant to help diagnose and not offend.:)

Are you using a sealed cartridge bearing or just caged bearings?

If using caged bearings are you sure you put balls into cups? If not they won't turn well, will eventually seize up in the cups and will then cause the cups to unscrew themselves as you pedal.

Greg

TheKid
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
You have a one piece crank, so you can't get it backwards. As Greg said, make sure the bearings are seated correctly. Also make sure they are properly lubricated and the bearings and cups are clean and free of any grit.

cyclesaver
04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the replys Kid and Greg,, they are just caged bearings. The balls were to the inside on both sides,, I at first thought that maybe I did have them in backwards, but when you spun the pedals all seemed fine. Anyway, I took apart another bike and really was carefull to reassemble the crankset correctly. I was correct in the first place also. I do not know what was wrong or why it acted like it did but the problem went away, It seems to be fine now.. The bike works fine in the factory now,,, got lots of Positive comments. It hauls a good sized load fine and really coast a lot farther then the bikes they are riding in there, which is nice. But the problem now is,, ,Flat tires... Its hard to belive that I can find the smallest metal chips,, they run Floor scrubbers arond in there several times a day,,, but,,, I still seem to find them. The work bikes they use in there have solid tires,, but,, it looks like they take a special rim. And that Green slime that seals tires,, do not work on tubed tires,, just tubless.... so,,, the bike shop said he can order special tubes,, called "Thorn resistant",, so I guess I will try some of them.

GregLWB
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
The work bikes they use in there have solid tires,, but,, it looks like they take a special rim. And that Green slime that seals tires,, do not work on tubed tires,, just tubless.... so,,, the bike shop said he can order special tubes,, called "Thorn resistant",, so I guess I will try some of them.

You can buy solid foam filled tires for your bike. If you want to go that route I will find you a link. I also am pretty sure BikeTiresDirect.com has them.

On my LWB commuter bike I run Schwalbe Marathons which are really good for flat protection and I also run the thickest thorn proof tubes I can find and I also put Slime in the tubes. You can also get tire liners that go inside the tire between the tire and the tube.

Greg

cyclesaver
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Greg, after your suggestion, I looked at Bike Tires Direct. and seen the liners. I think those are in order. I will stop at the bike shop today on the way to work and see if he can order me those. We have green slime at work so I think when I get the new liners and some thorn resistant tubes,, I will have em put slime in the tubes also. I am afraid the foam in the tires may cause more of a problem,,, at the last plant I worked at, we had golf carts to haul the tools around, and the tires on them were foamed, and they became Extremely heavy,, Also since there will be a lot of weight sitting on the back of the bike,, and it may be sitting in the same spot for quite a while, I am afraid it may develope flat spots. So I think keeping air in them is the way to go,, but just toughen up the tires as best as I can. Other then the tires now,, the bike is performing great. Its a "kick" to drive down the isles and watch people just stop what they are doing and look and smile.,,, and toss ya the thumbs up.

TheKid
04-23-2009, 12:53 PM
You could also buy tubes with the slime already installed. Here's one link, but most shops carry them:

http://www.ebikestop.com/slime_26quot_pv_thick_smart_tube_26_x_175_2125-TU2616.php

Still you can get flats and then you have to pump the tires up. You could also get solid tires that fit standard rims, but they're expensive:

http://www.nu-teck.com/

GregLWB
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
You could also buy tubes with the slime already installed. Here's one link, but most shops carry them:

http://www.ebikestop.com/slime_26quot_pv_thick_smart_tube_26_x_175_2125-TU2616.php

Still you can get flats and then you have to pump the tires up. You could also get solid tires that fit standard rims, but they're expensive:

http://www.nu-teck.com/

One other thing I have found that helps minimize flats is run your tires at the max pressure listed on the tire. It really works and with the load your trike is carrying you need to do that anyway.:jester:

Greg

choppersrule
04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
hi all i have try ed this and it works get some black pollypipe about the same size as your tyres then put it in a hot Barth no cold just straight hot to soften the tube and put it in where you would normally put your tube and hey presto bullet proof tyres they ride just like a tube one but there is no valve stem and people want to know how it stays up. the ride is a bit hard but if you are running max tyre presser any way there is not much deferents. just a thought
mark :taz:

TheKid
04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Good tip Greg. There's always something new in these forums.

cyclesaver
04-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks Greg, on the tire pressure, its 35 psi, and they MEAN that. hahahah Before I took it to work, I had the tires blown up to 35 and thought it was still a bit spongy and would be even more so when I get the big wooden tool chest on the back of the bike full of tools. They usually always have a safety built into the numbers when they list some thing, because they know some humans always want a little more,,,,, anyway,, I blew them up to 50 psi. and they were of course rock hard then. Great, they would roll easier now, I figured. The bike sat there like that for almost 2 weeks in the garage. When I put the wood on the bike and put the stain on the wood, I figured I would roll it out in the sun because it was nice and warm here a couple of weeks ago, it would dry faster. So I opend the garage door and rolled it out in the sun and went back to work on the table saw, cutting some more wood for another box for the bike. Apparently the sun heated up the black tires and that increased the psi. a few more clicks,,,,,,,, Luckily, I did not have my fingers near the blade at that moment, because I swore some one fired a shotgun off, a few feet behind me. I almost jumped over the table saw and my cat was taking a cat nap over in the corner of the garage. It was just like in the cartoons, she sprang 4 feet straight up in the air and her feet were running about 100 mph in mid air. I never dreamed a bike tire could produce that much noise. They AUGHT to put an !!! behind the 35 max. psi. on the sides of tires. hahahah Another nugget of hard won information added to my book of knowledge on bikes, I guess.

I have ordered thorn resistant tubes and some puncture resistant liners for all 3 tires. When I get em on there maybe next week. I will then have the guys in the hylow shop at work load the tires with slime also. If that fails, then I think I will try Marks idea of the polypipe. I like that idea and it would be pretty cheap to try. If I can find some thick wall polypipe, I think it will work. If that doesnt work. I did find a site on the net. Airfreetires.com that sells solid tires for regular rims, as a last resort.

I was able to put probably a couple of miles on it last night,,and no flats,, life was good.

GregLWB
04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I never dreamed a bike tire could produce that much noise. They AUGHT to put an !!! behind the 35 max. psi. on the sides of tires. hahahah Another nugget of hard won information added to my book of knowledge on bikes, I guess.

I was able to put probably a couple of miles on it last night,,and no flats,, life was good.

If you think that was bad, try that indoors with a large truck tire on a split ring wheel. I was lucky that it was the inside dual and the outside dual absorbed the impact. It ruined the outside dual tire as well and I couldn't hear well for days.:rolleyes4:

The liners I told you about with the thorn proof tubes and the slime and max psi (but not above) will do the best you can hope for without going to a solid or foam filled tire.:jester:

If you need to go to foam filled let me know and I will give you some additional info on them (I deal with this a lot at work).:)

Good luck, Greg

cyclesaver
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, Greg, I also had a inside dual tire blow on an old dump truck I once had,, sure is some amazing power there,,, bent the retaining ring like a pretzel. But a 26 inch bicycle tire,, hahaha,, ya just think not a lot of anything there,,, but its certainly able to get your attention.

well its off to work for me,, lets see how the tires fair today

cyclesaver
04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
well,, got some thorn resistant tubes ordered and puncture resistant liners ordered and should have them some time this week. The bike works great at work and is a kick to ride around on in the plant. Getting nothing but "thumbs up", from every one I pass,,, except my area manager. He called me out of my crib last friday night and when I walked up, he told me, "This bike is illegal". I thought he was kidding me, so I said, whats illegal about it". He said, "Its got no chain guard".. and still thinking he was kidding me, I said,, "Oh, well if thats the biggest problem we got here"... and he blew up at me. Started to scream that the safety guy has red tagged bikes for NO chain guard. I told him when I came here 3 months ago, I was told that they will not buy anymore bikes. And he got even madder, started to scream at me again. So I told him, "Listen, I am not crying or complaining that ya did not buy me a bike. I just went home and built my own bike, with my own money, time and materials. The company has $-0- in it. so I saved you maybe $1000 and if that chain guard is so important, come monday, you will have a chain guard on it. So I took it home friday night again and made up a solid Oak chain guard. Hahahaha,, I was going to come in monday and tell him thanks for the suggestion, the chain guard really added to the cool looks and I am getting even more compliments now. So the chain guard is now on, problem fixed. or so I thought. Now they said, Its an unapproved bicycle. Well I am not playing this game anymore, so I went to my skilled trades committee man and told him what was going on, He listened and rolled his eyes at the whole mess,, and then went and talked to the manager. To make a long story short, he told him to buy me a new bike,, That is approved by the company,,, and he will tak his home made bike home. I DONT HAVE THAT MONEY, the manager said,, so he said,, well then,, whats the problem,, he built a bike and cost the company nothing,, so just leave it alone,,, So I guess thats the end of the problem,,,,

http://picasaweb.google.com/visteonguy/WorkBike#5329890283695164322

http://picasaweb.google.com/visteonguy/WorkBike#5329890522374555266

http://picasaweb.google.com/visteonguy/WorkBike#5329890729026289906

TheKid
04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Nothing worse than idiots in control.

John Lewis
04-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Very nice Terry. That came up a treat. I love the wood work.

sounds like your area manager just wanted to throw his weight around. What is an "approved bike" anyway? Glad you got it sorted.

John Lewis

cyclesaver
04-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks John, and Kid,,, Actually I feel kind of sorry for him,, like all bussiness today, its a pretty nasty bussiness climate today and we are having problems with the older machines in our dept and the big wheels from Dearborn came to the plant and had a meeting to see why the production is not up to what they had planned,,, he said IT WILL INCREASE,, OR HEADS WILL ROLL,,, Well the white collar guys do not really have much protection, so if their boss gets ticked off,, they can find life to be pretty hard. Not quite that way on the blue collar side. I have been in trades now for over 15 years and never have had a problem with management, so hopefully this has run its course and can be forgotten. So if the bike will be staying,,, I guess maybe I can get started on that nice oak tool chest for the back of the bike to match the rest of the wood on it.

GregLWB
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
So if the bike will be staying,,, I guess maybe I can get started on that nice oak tool chest for the back of the bike to match the rest of the wood on it.

The trike looks great and I think the chain guard really fits the style. Build the box anyway! Even if it isn't over you will have a one of a kind ride.

I like the 'rack' you built in for your lock-out tags.:jester: LOL!

Greg

TheKid
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
That is one very nice trike. When I said "idiots in control" I meant your managers bosses. It's been my experience that the higher they climb, the dumber they get because of what some people call "The Hitler Syndrome". "I'll slave drive and demean the peons because I can" seems to be their logic.

GregLWB
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
That is one very nice trike. When I said "idiots in control" I meant your managers bosses. It's been my experience that the higher they climb, the dumber they get because of what some people call "The Hitler Syndrome". "I'll slave drive and demean the peons because I can" seems to be their logic.

Kid - I think it's more due to the offices with closed doors. The oxygen in those rooms gets thin and they start to lose brain cells.:jester: Or it could be the necktie syndrome - as they change over from blue to white collar the necktie cuts off the full flow of oxygen to the brain and then the same problems, brain cells die quickly.:jester:

Greg

TheKid
04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Kid - I think it's more due to the offices with closed doors. The oxygen in those rooms gets thin and they start to lose brain cells. Or it could be the necktie syndrome - as they change over from blue to white collar the necktie cuts off the full flow of oxygen to the brain and then the same problems, brain cells die quickly.

Those are lucid, logical theories. Don't publicize them too much though, some O2 deficient bureaucrats will launch a $10 billion study on the effects of neckties, and another $20 billion for the study of working in closed offices. They will be described as stimuli for creating jobs for their friends and relatives.

cyclesaver
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Hahahah,, yes, Kid, you are probably right,, I will be more careful. I dont think the country can stand much more simulius.

TheKid
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Right. Any more stimulus and we'll all be collecting welfare from China.

savarin
04-30-2009, 04:11 AM
I thought everyone knew the universal laws as applied to management structures..........
S#*! always floats to the top.
The other one is the "Not invented here" syndrome they all seem to suffer from.
Still, its a great bike

schu777
04-30-2009, 08:38 AM
That is one SWEET looking bike - I LOVE the chain guard on it. The box on front would be even cooler if you would make a wood box holder for it instead of steel...some nice hand-made dove tails would look pretty sweet.

cyclesaver
04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
yes, schu,, I was really planning on going all out on that tool chest for the back of the bike. It was going to be at least 24 inches square and maybe as much as 30 inches tall,,, with 5 draws in the side and an opening top, So when you close the lid you would put the pannel over the 5 draw fronts and it would be secure, like a wooden tool makers box. I was going to carve the company logo into that pannel to really set it off. It would have had nice big dove tails and I was even going to make each draw have fitted inserts so each socket and wrench would have had its own individual spot to fit into so stuff would not rattle around inside and to top it off,,, just as a joke,, I was going to apply Royal Blue flocking to all inside draws so the nice gleaming tools would look like the finest silverware,,, That would have blown em away,, and I have used that flocking before,, great stuff, you cannot screw it up and its very cheap to use,, but makes every thing look so unbelievably expensive. Oh well not doing anymore till they decide on if its staying in the plant or not, higher up managment now has said,, "There will be NO home manufactured bikes in the plant".... although if you walk through the plant, you will see several of them hear and there. So this mess is still up in the air.

savarin
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Sounds like they dont want craftsmen any more.
If they dont have a method to get you and your tools to the job how do you do your job?
Sounds like time for a move to me but unfortunately in these troubled times just being in a job can worth its weight in gold.
I cant believe management would be so stupid. Well, yes I can, its why we are in the mess we are in now,I bet its something to do with a perceived problem with insurance such as if you have an accident in the factory that involves your homemade bike it could be nasty.
I feel for you mate but youve still got a great looking bike out of it.:rockon:

greenevegiebeast
05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
did someone have a wreck or somthing, the only resion i can think of is liability.

If one of get my drift,your co workers should be guilty of shoddy workmansship, and his "homemade bike" should break in a heavly travled area, or in such a maner that someone gets hurt. the company would be held liable.

P.S. I may have may have misspeled somthing. but you will

cyclesaver
05-01-2009, 01:14 AM
No,, there has been no wrecks,,, there is a 5 mph speed limit in the plant.

GregLWB
05-01-2009, 01:57 AM
No,, there has been no wrecks,,, there is a 5 mph speed limit in the plant.

That's it!!! There's the problem! They took one look at your trike and just knew that you wouldn't be able to pedal it slow enough for safety!!!:jester::jester: ROFL!

Greg