PDA

View Full Version : Spokes

gphil
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Looking for a good site to order spokes from. Kings ransom for them here locally, unless I have missed some one. Got to find the proper length etc. My axels are just like the plans for the DR etc. Just thought I would ask and wait and see?????? Thanks gphil

fultondp
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
The only decent price I've found is on ebay. I just bought some to start a Gladiator, and paid $15/100 plus $6 shipping. The lowest local source wanted $1 per spoke (I am in Denver). I believe in supporting local businesses, but not at 5 times the price.

Darren

gphil
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I agree with the suporting the local shops but here I was quoted 1.50 to 9.85 per spoke. When I asked if they would help in determining the proper length they said sure come on down. Went down with part , measurments etc and they took a look and handed me a chart that looks like a rocket launch checklist. Same thing as on the computer. No help at all so they are off my list. Still not sure on what length spoke to ask for. It almost seem like the old ones would work. 26 in rim and building a DeltaRunner. The hubs are as perscribed in the make your own plans. Guess I will have to get some different lengths and hope for the best. Slightly shorter is the key I think. May have come to a complete work stoppage. Local shops no help here. gphil

trikeman
05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I haven't found anyone locally that doesn't want and arm and leg for spokes. I don't even see spokes listed in PerformanceBicycle's online catalog anymore. I finally just decided to use used ones if at all possible, even though it meant changing my hub diameter a bit. Used spokes are just as good as new ones (Jobst says better). Unless they are rusty or kinked, I save all old spokes.

You can order them online for about 50 cents a spoke. I like Niagara Cycle:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=128&sort=3a&page=4

It seems to be just about cheaper to just buy a whole wheel already built from NIagara, or other online sources, than to buy spokes, rims and hubs. For example, you can buy a whole 20" wheel from Niagara with 14mm axles for less than $25, but 36 spokes cost almost that much by themselves.

Use one of the online spoke length calculators to calculate what size spokes you need - or better yet figure out what size hub you need to fit the spokes you have and find one in your scrap pile, or build one.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#length

I bought a tube from my LBS about 5 years ago. The sticker shock, compared to the online price, has kept me away since then. I do buy things from PerformanceBicycle locally, since they have the same prices in the store as online. The smaller LBS's around me have never been of much use answering questions, or having what I am looking for in stock.

TheKid
05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I get mine here:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=164361128434&nr=41&b=&c=&sc=&tc=&q=sapim&s=

I use this calculator:

http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/

The little question marks tell you how to get the measurement.
Sometimes, after entering the measurements, you get a length like 263.5. In that case, you'd get 264mm spokes. If you get a number like 262.5, you'd get 262 mm spokes. if it's closer to the odd number, like 262.8, you could get either 262mm or 264mm spokes.

gphil
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Knew I could count on you guys or "Y'all" as said here to help out. Appreciated greatly.

graucho
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello gphil, This may be more info than you want, but it may help others if not you.
The best of the best for re-spoking is the wheelmaster.
I'm not joking or steering anyone wrong with him. The best of the best. He will re-spoke any gauge spoke/rim and hub setup you have, beef it up to a thicker gauge if you need extra strength. You send him your rim/hub and it comes back WOW! Im not affiliated with him in any means, but i've seen his work 10's of times. A++

37637 39th ave south, Auburn, WA 98001 253-927-0271 www.thewheelmaster.com