PDA

View Full Version : Experience with X-FD Sturmey Archer drum brake?

GregLWB
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Sturmey Archer X-FD front hub drum brake? I am looking at putting one on the front of my TM commuter bike. I am wanting a brake that is less affected by the weather (specifically wet and rainy). I can't run disk brakes on the rear because of the motor assist on my bike.

I stop very well with the V-Brakes I currently use but due to the amount of riding I do in traffic I am always looking for something better.:scooter:

Greg

trikeman
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
You might try these guys. I know they are always looking for better brakes to replace the substandard (for motorized use) that most bikes have. I have read several threads there from the Whizzer folks who don't seem to be crazy about the drum brakes on that machine.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/

GregLWB
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
You might try these guys. I know they are always looking for better brakes to replace the substandard (for motorized use) that most bikes have. I have read several threads there from the Whizzer folks who don't seem to be crazy about the drum brakes on that machine.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/

Thanks Trikeman - After looking at their site and the BROL site I was left so confused that I didn't know which way to go. That's when I posted here because if someone here had experience with them I would trust that far more than most.:)

Greg

TheKid
05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I haven't used them with the motor yet, but on the Fox and the LWB tadpole they stop on a dime, and I only have front brakes. They work well up to at least 20 mph, which is the fastest I've gone since installing them. I have a v-brake on the front of the DR and one disc brake on the rear, but it doesn't stop as quickly as the LWB tadpole, or the Fox. I think RR has one on the front of his DW.

http://atomiczombie.com/gallery/richpeters/delta.htm

Richie Rich
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I think RR has one on the front of his DW.Did someone whisper my name..????

Here's a closeup of the Hub Brake on the front of my DeltaWolf. I found it on eBay back in '06, but I have no info since there are no markings anywhere on it.

It's pretty stout and the spoke holes are larger than a bike hub so I think it may have been made for a mini-bike. Inside are 2 fiber brake shoes and it works just like the drum brakes on a car.

That's all I have.....

....Richie....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3506361122_11f6914526.jpg

GregLWB
05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Did someone whisper my name..????

It's pretty stout and the spoke holes are larger than a bike hub so I think it may have been made for a mini-bike. Inside are 2 fiber brake shoes and it works just like the drum brakes on a car.

That's all I have.....

....Richie....

Thanks Kid.:)

Thanks Rich, but how well does it stop? How about on hills when you are going a little faster? Does it stop better than V-brakes?:1eye:

Greg

savarin
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
The greenspeed has sturmey archer hub brakes and can stop on a dime.
The braking tests we did with the electric trailer didnt appear to make any difference.
Even with one on the bike and the other of us in the trailer the bike stopped with no hint of loss of control.
We were afraid to stop too suddenly from 24kph in case the trailer jackknifed as the bike stops so fast.
If you can get the hubs at a reasonable price I say get them.
If they are cheap, send them to me, I would use them any day.

Richie Rich
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Kid.:)

Thanks Rich, but how well does it stop? How about on hills when you are going a little faster? Does it stop better than V-brakes?:1eye:

GregThe brake is very efficient since it has more surface area than the 'rubbers' on caliper-type brakes.

When I first built the DeltaWolf, this was the only brake I had and it worked fine at normal bike trail speeds. The limiting factor is the tire 'footprint'. For big guys like me, during a high-speed panic stop the wheel will lock up and the tire will skid. That's one of the reasons why I added the 2 disc brakes in the rear of the DW.

If I could find a matching hub brake, I'd use them on the Street Fox.

.....Richie.....

GregLWB
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys - that helps. I ordered the wheel and drum brake hub from GEBE and it is on its way. Here are the details.

X-FD Sturmey Archer Front, Drum Brake Wheel:
$105.00 plus $25.00 shipping (contiguous US) = $130.00

Velocity Triple-V Rim, 36 hole, 14 gauge, Stainless Steel Spokes, 3 cross Wheel; Includes cable and Sealed Bearing Axle/nuts.

26" Velocity Triple V Rim - 6000 series aluminum, 14 gauge (2mm) Stainless Steel Spokes, 3 cross Wheel; Includes cable and Sealed Bearing Axle/nuts.

This will be on my TM by next week.:)

Greg

TheKid
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Good deal. For those components, to build your own wheel would cost about $110. For 20 bucks, it's well worth buying the wheel already made.

GregLWB
05-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Good deal. For those components, to build your own wheel would cost about $110. For 20 bucks, it's well worth buying the wheel already made.

I though so too and the rear wheel on my bike is the same wheel with 105g spokes and 4 cross pattern. When it arrived it was perfect (ran/runs true).

I got UPS confirmation today that it will be delivered next Tuesday.:scooter:

Greg

TheKid
05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you have a new cable? You may need one, unless you specified what the wheel was for, and they send an appropriate cable with the wheel.

GregLWB
05-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, do you have a new cable? You may need one, unless you specified what the wheel was for, and they send an appropriate cable with the wheel.

The cable with it will be too short. I have a brand new cable on the front of my TM but we'll see if it is long enough. I will probably have to go by a new one.:)

Greg

GregLWB
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey guys - My new wheel came in today for my TM. Didn't have a chance to install it tonight. Instead went to my youngest daughter's National Honor Society banquet.:sunny:

I should be able to get it on the TM tommorrow night and give a ride/crash report this weekend.

Here are a couple pics.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/TourMasterBike/Picture086.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/TourMasterBike/Picture085.jpg

Greg

GregLWB
05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I got the new wheel installed on the TM and it works pretty well. We'll see how it does as it breaks in. I was so excited that I went for a ride even though it was raining hard. I got soaked!:jester:

Greg

Danner
05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I saw Sturmey Archers on a Greenspeed tadpole at the Wolverbents Meet last weekend, but didn't get to try it out. Looked very sleek and light. Anxious to hear how you like it.

What tires did you put on those Velocity's?

Dan

GregLWB
05-13-2009, 11:44 PM
I saw Sturmey Archers on a Greenspeed tadpole at the Wolverbents Meet last weekend, but didn't get to try it out. Looked very sleek and light. Anxious to hear how you like it.

What tires did you put on those Velocity's?

Dan

This TM is my commuter bike with the gas assist motor so I can't afford to have flats. So I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus (26 x 1.75) tires with the thickest thornproof tubes I can find and I run slime in them. The rear tire is the same one I was running on my old LWB and it still has better than 3/4's of the tread left after more than 1600 miles running in the high 20 mph range.:scooter:

Greg