PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocomputer recommendations?

Wood Butcher
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm looking for a cyclocomputer (wired type) that will fit on a LWB recumbent. The bike is somewhat of a cross between a TE clone and the WildKat (gotta post a picture sometime...). I purchased an Echowell Echo T3 unit but the cable turned out to be too short by about 12-14".

Can anyone recommend a unit that has worked for them on a LWB recumbent? I'm not looking for anything fancy--functions like distance, speed, time and the like are all that are needed. Heart rate monitoring and GPS are luxuries that I don't want to spend on right now.

Thanks

Mike

Odd Man Out
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Bike Computer recommendations are highly subjective -- kinda like asking what car is "best". Most computers can be had with long wiring harnesses that will let you hook it up to a recumbent. Here's a link for a harness that can be used with the Cateye brand -- simple and reliable.

http://hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983899553

GregLWB
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm looking for a cyclocomputer (wired type) that will fit on a LWB recumbent. The bike is somewhat of a cross between a TE clone and the WildKat (gotta post a picture sometime...). I purchased an Echowell Echo T3 unit but the cable turned out to be too short by about 12-14".

Can anyone recommend a unit that has worked for them on a LWB recumbent? I'm not looking for anything fancy--functions like distance, speed, time and the like are all that are needed. Heart rate monitoring and GPS are luxuries that I don't want to spend on right now.

Thanks

Mike

On my previous LWB with tiller steer I had mine mounted about mid-way up the handlebars.

The other day a friend of mine came over to look at the progress on my Tourmaster and we got talking about it and he told me that most of the LWB guys mount them with an 'accessory bar' a few inches behind the front headtube. I tried this on the TM and had a "lightbulb" moment!:sunny: My blinky light on my handle bars now lights it up and I can see it in the dark now! Before I could only see the display in the daylight.

I will try to remember to take a picture tonight and post it.

Greg

John Lewis
05-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Almost all computers work ok. Some have more functions than others. I like to have cadence on mine. I have used Cateye, Sigma 1606L and VDO. I liked the Sigma best. On some of my bikes I had to splice in a bit of extra cable but that was no big deal. Accuracy depends on calibration. Measuring the wheel or using the sizes in the manual is only approximate. I calibrate mine by setting the wheelsize. I then ride a measured distance 6km in my case and compare the reading. Then actual distance divided by computer distance multiplied by wheel size gives new wheelsize to set in the computer. The result is very accurate. Just did this with 4 bikes last week. They all now read the same.

John Lewis

Wood Butcher
05-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Most computers can be had with long wiring harnesses that will let you hook it up to a recumbent. Here's a link for a harness that can be used with the Cateye brand -- simple and reliable.

Thanks for the link. It didn't occur to me right away that a longer cable would be sold separately.

Mike

Wood Butcher
05-12-2009, 05:52 AM
The other day a friend of mine came over to look at the progress on my Tourmaster and we got talking about it and he told me that most of the LWB guys mount them with an 'accessory bar' a few inches behind the front headtube.

That's a pretty clever idea. I'll have to look into that on the next build. The frame on this bike has already been powdercoated and I don't want to hack and weld on it just yet.

Wood Butcher
05-12-2009, 06:02 AM
On some of my bikes I had to splice in a bit of extra cable but that was no big deal.

To tell the truth, that never occurred to me, but then I was probably overcomplicating the whole issue. I was thinking the cable was probably shielded and couldn't be easily spliced. But then the "sensor" is most likely just a switch (hall effect sensor?) with the contacts being opened and closed when the magnet passes. Duh.

I calibrate mine by setting the wheelsize. I then ride a measured distance 6km in my case and compare the reading. Then actual distance divided by computer distance multiplied by wheel size gives new wheelsize to set in the computer. The result is very accurate.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that method a try.

John Lewis
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
But then the "sensor" is most likely just a switch (hall effect sensor?) with the contacts being opened and closed when the magnet passes.

All the ones I've seen use a reed relay. Nothing as esoteric as a Hall effect switch.

John Lewis

Richie Rich
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
For my DeltaWolf, I spliced mine under the frame where it doesn't show. Mine was a parallel twin-lead wire (not coax), so it was an easy splice.

IF you can weld, you can solder, so give it a try.

.....Richie.....