PDA

View Full Version : Spoke guages

gphil
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Too lazy to go down to the shop right now and this info is probably listed in the plans but thought I would ask anyway since here. Getting ready to purchase sopkes for my DR and I think the 14 ga is what most are useing correct? Got some samples from the local place but they seem too thin. I asked for 14's but who knows not a newy like me. I am thinking or getting 14ga for they seem thicker etc. Is that what most of you guys are using? ai say some of the neat buildups on the site and fellas' you are crafty and gifted. Good work. With all my measurments and so on I came out with a length that I beleve will work on my hubs of 260mm and using a three cross. So let me know if you can and will check later. Hey got my 89 year old pop interested. Like all his generation is jack of all trades and master of most. Thanks. gphil:wings:

GregLWB
05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I asked for 14's but who knows not a newy like me. I am thinking or getting 14ga for they seem thicker etc.gphil:wings:

I don't know much about this but did you get straight guage spokes? A lot of spokes are tapered or may be double butted (ie; thicker at the ends).

Greg

gphil
05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Straight guage. The same entire length. As mentioned the spoke is 260mm and after. Well let me start over here. Just testing the lengths so I just put a few into the wheel. Gave the hub the old twist etc and noticed that the nipple was threaded on to the spoke all the way even with the twist. Now it could be off a little not seen by eye but I would hope one could tighten more than that, and may be able to do so after the corssing and finishing the lacing because the hub may not be center yet. 2555.2 mm is on my mind but that is really short. Probably will go with the 14 guage for a little more thickness if nothing else. Thanks and I will be checking back. gphil:punk: