PDA

View Full Version : Derailler size question!

Rick L
06-02-2009, 02:08 AM
The Lode Runner instructions mention using a short cage derailler due to ground clearance. I'd like to use a long cage derailler so that I can get good gearing for hills. There does not seem to be a standard for derailler sizes as nothing in the bike world is standardized ;) Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick L

Odd Man Out
06-02-2009, 08:28 AM
There does not seem to be a standard for derailler sizes as nothing in the bike world is standardized ;) Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick L

Derailers are standardised somewhat by the size of "cage" (the part that extends downward)-- long, medium and short. If possible, my suggestion would be to go with a Sram X9 long cage rear if the loderunner could handle it. And, with Zombie modifications, it would be certain to handle it...

Zwolf
06-02-2009, 08:40 AM
It's not the size, it's how you use it.

:jester:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Go back to the real topic now.

Rick L
06-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Okay, so size matters :). The SRAM X9's look nice but they are too expensive. This trike is going to be used on the Black Rock Desert at the most extreme. I found Sheldon Brown's gearing calc that does gain ratios, so that's pretty cool.

There seems to be widespread thought that mountain parts are the way to go with the Lode Runner and Kyoto. Another bicycling friend of mine who builds some rather heavy duty bikes thinks that road components would work just fine. I'm trying to keep costs down on this project although I did find a sweet deal on a pair of Avid BB7s on eBay awhile back!

Thanks

Rick L

jackofall
07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
better of with the short or medium, i had a long cage on mine and every dip or bump on the road the derailleur would hit the ground do to there being only a inch or less clearance. so use one that is suited for your wheels, don't want to have to keep buying a new one every time your out.

Rick L
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Good info. I'm wondering how the three ring crankset in the LR trike plans is able to work with the short cage rear derailleur? From what I've read, a short cage is really only good with a single ring crankset. A medium or long cage works best with double and triple ring cranksets.

Thanks

Rick L

jackofall
07-28-2009, 04:01 PM
iv seen some racing bikes with a dual ring on the front and a derailleur with a short cage so it dipends on the size of rings you use, if they are close (ie: 53t-39t) with a compact rear cassette then the short cage is best but if there is a jump in size(ie: 44t-32t-22t) with a larger cassette then the bigger cage is best.

PeterT
07-30-2009, 07:18 AM
When you have assembled your running gear, use the derailleur that fits your style of riding, your gearing ratios, and the size wheel it is being used on ... a 20" derailleur wont technically work as well on 27" wheel set up, unless the gearing is similar to the 20" gearing.

Dont be afraid to hang it lower than original, or higher than original, or even at a totally different angle to original.... hang it where and how it works for your gearing setup.

Don't let the LBS boys bully you into a particular type, they get paid for selling it to you, not paid for riding your bike!:scooter:

On my F-RQ (Fast-Recumbent) Streetfighter, I have made the derailleurs on both the front and rear, go where I want them, i.e.front derailleur now has 4 sprockets on it that all work! 24-36-46-52 & the rear derailleur steps up to a 44 tooth sprocket, via a 34 tooth sprocket 44-34-22-20-18-16-14.
I did have to ditch the SIP gearing levers and go back to friction levers to get the results, but it wil be worth it both uphill and downhill!
See them at http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1858092

It may actually mean that I have to lengthen my long rear derailleur cage by 1/2" to get everything working perfectly, but that is how new ideas are born, and new stuff is made.... for us to hack!

PeterT

Rick L
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Peter,

Thanks for the detailed info! The link to the pictures does not work; it looks like the link is missing some characters.

Thanks

Rick L

PeterT
07-31-2009, 06:23 PM
TY Greg

Give this one a try
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=201463458&albumId=1858092

Will get some fresh pics of the derailleurs if needed

PeterT