PDA

View Full Version : BB threads buggered up...

jimFPU
06-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Grrrrrrr!!!!! I spend about 3 hours last night trying to clean out the threads of the BB that I welded onto the new project. Finally got the non-drive side to go in (but that one is plastic.) never could get the drive side, the part I really need to go in, to start!

So the question is this, is there a tool for cleaning the threads, a tap & die set for example, that could be used on reverse threads for a cartridge type BB? I haven't yet called the LBS to check if they have something like that, but I know someone here is up...:sunny:

TheKid
06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
This may sound like a stupid question, but some of us have made this mistake. Is it possible That you installed the BB in reverse? I found that the right threaded plastic cups can be forced into the left threaded side of BB shells. If this is not the case, then you could try something that was recently discussed. The cups on a lot of BB's are hardened steel. By cutting some grooves across the threads, you could make a crude die out of the cup, and use it to chase the threads of the BB shell.

John Lewis
06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Jim,
This may help. When I had a similar problem I took an old bb bearing cup, they are very hard, and I cut grooves across the threads with a Dremel grinder wheel.
I did about 5 total. This does two things. It provides a cutting edge and the grooves also help get rid of swarf.

I used plenty of lube and advanced and backed the tool as you do with a normal tap and it did the job. Failing that try your LBS. The one I used to work for had a special (Expensive) tap for BB's.

John Lewis

jimFPU
06-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Kid: Nope I installed it correctly. Need the metal side of the cartridge to hold the DR in place. It's on a bracket instead of the down tube.

JL: I only have one of this type, the other bikes I have by the same manufacturer are the reverse of this one!! Go figure!! May have to go to the LBS, which for me is not local!!

jimFPU
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
LBS: tap a BB= $25.

Dang. I may have to try another BB, or something else...or bite the bullet.

TheKid
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
All you need is the cup from a drive side BB. It's cheaper to go find another donor in the trash or something. Even if you cut grooves in the cup to flush out the filings, it could still be used afterward for another project. Or you could buy a BB set to get a cup.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB308F10-Yst+Sealed+Bsa+Cupset+Wbearings.aspx

jimFPU
06-16-2009, 09:41 PM
It's a threaded BB for one of these: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB309F06-Shimano+Un54+Bottom+Bracket.aspx

It's also quite a bit smaller than the traditional cups I've seen.

Looks like a trip to the LBS will fix it, they knew exactly what I was talking about.

GregLWB
06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
It's a threaded BB for one of these: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB309F06-Shimano+Un54+Bottom+Bracket.aspx

It's also quite a bit smaller than the traditional cups I've seen.

Looks like a trip to the LBS will fix it, they knew exactly what I was talking about.

That's the same kind I use and most of the advice on this thread should work.

One thing that might be causing you issues is that according to the long time bike mechanic that teaches me stuff (I teach him about car stuff in return) you need to install the side that isn't plastic first. Then you screw in the plastic side till snug.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

Greg

TheKid
06-17-2009, 12:26 AM
That's the same kind I use and most of the advice on this thread should work.

Same here. I started using them for the sealed bearings. They're designed to replace the standard BB's. If you're using a BB shell from a standard bike with a 3 BB, the cups are the same. The much larger BB shells are for 1 pc. cranks like this:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/item/01-78776/crank-crank_1pc/Pyramid--1-piece-crank-arm.-4-12in-crankarm-length%2C-24-threads.&category=crank-crank_1pc

The BB you posted uses cranks like this:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=464206722262&d=single&c=Components&sc=Cranksets&tc=Mountain&item_id=SU-FCM32/170

jimFPU
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
G: I tried both ways...just too much splatter that messed up the threads. I finally got the plastic one in so I left it for now.

K: Agreed, the second one is the type I have, but the BB shell itself is actually threaded, there are no cups to install. Are we talking the same idea in different languages?

TheKid
06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Hope this helps. First, using an awl and something relatively light to strike it with, remove as much spatter as you can. Second, the next time you weld something to a BB shell, use cups from the type of BB shown in the first pic to protect the threads and prevent the shell from warping. If you have spatter in the threads of the shell, there's a good chance that the shell is also out of round, which will prevent the BB from threading properly. If it is out of round and you're lucky, you'll be able to put it in a vice and true it up enough to fix the threads.
The first pic is of a BB without sealed bearings. Notice it comes completely apart. If you cut some grooves across the threads in the cups, you can use them to chase the BB shell threads. As you can see in the link I posted, the cups are a lot less expensive than having a LBS chase the threads, and you'll have cups to protect the BB shell s for future projects.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/bottom%20bracket/100_0285Small.jpg

The next pic is the BB shell, notice the threads on the inside. You could use the either sealed bearing BB's, or open cage bearing BB's like in the pics for this type of shell.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/bottom%20bracket/100_0286Small.jpg

This is the BB assembled.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/bottom%20bracket/100_0287Small.jpg

John Lewis
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
G: I tried both ways...just too much splatter that messed up the threads. I finally got the plastic one in so I left it for now.

K: Agreed, the second one is the type I have, but the BB shell itself is actually threaded, there are no cups to install. Are we talking the same idea in different languages?

The shells are threaded and the bits that screw into the shell are what we are referring to as cups. You can see them in the kids picture.
I think perhaps you were misunderstanding what we meant by cups.

In one thread it was described how almost any tap of the right pitch could be used to clean up a thread regardless of diameter.

John Lewis

jimFPU
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys...I'll look at it some more.

GregLWB
06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys...I'll look at it some more.

Jim - can you post a close up (MacroZoom) of your BB so that we can be sure we're telling you the right things?

Greg

jimFPU
06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe later...I have to work after work the next 3 days...I'll see what I can do.

savarin
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
And dont forget, where did the BB originate from.
Italian BB's, some English BB's and the common Kmart bikes can all be different threads.
Dont ask me how I know.
Check out Sheldon's for the low down. (I think its on there)

jimFPU
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh for cryin' out loud!! You people who never sleep always want visuals!!

Here are the pics & details. Late model GT MTB. 1.5 to 2 inch BB shell, I'm guessing here...

Reverse threads on the drive side, plastic retainer on other (installed). Removed with tool shown.
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00232.jpg

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00234.jpg

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r399/jnk6/DSC00228.jpg

GregLWB
06-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Hey Jim - I just had a thought!:sunny: When you get the bike done and put the GEBE on it, if you keep doing the second job, can you use it for the deliveries? If so, can they be a tax write off? You would be using them for work.

I don't know, maybe I'm just tired and getting punchy, or the ADD is kicking in.:jester:

Greg

jimFPU
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
LOL! If you look on the side of a small box (labeled Full Size-marketing...) one of the delivery methods is pedal power...I laugh every time I see it and think of the 'You've got 30 minutes ' thing!

BTW, the build is specifically for the GEBE. Had it in mind from the start and am building the frame around it. I'll post the whole story soon. I want to show a finished product pic first then tell the story...it's just taking forever to build this one...

TheKid
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Back to the jenson link. The cup on the right is reverse threaded and will fit your BB. You can use it to chase the threads.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB308F10-Yst+Sealed+Bsa+Cupset+Wbearings.aspx

If you get a donor with the same type of BB for a 3 pc. crank, you could also use the BB cups from it. Something like this would work:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/bik/1227448769.html

GregLWB
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
LOL! If you look on the side of a small box (labeled Full Size-marketing...) one of the delivery methods is pedal power...I laugh every time I see it and think of the 'You've got 30 minutes ' thing!

BTW, the build is specifically for the GEBE. Had it in mind from the start and am building the frame around it. I'll post the whole story soon. I want to show a finished product pic first then tell the story...it's just taking forever to build this one...

Can't wait!:sunny: Just think, every 30 minutes you're one pizza closer to your goal. You should have one of those charts on the wall or on the dash of the car that charities have (looks like a thermometer) to show the progress of your savings.:jester:

Greg

jimFPU
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
OK Greg, you don't know me so I'll tell a bit about me. I'm WAY ahead of you on that! I'm a nerd when it comes to that stuff. I have a spreadsheet with about 10 different sheets one sheet for each goal. The bike motor is sheet 3. I list each nights work and break it down, calculating mileage, hours worked, average hourly wage with tips, tithe (10% Charitable giving for those that don't know) and withdrawals. It's a great sheet! I also showed it to the owner at Domino's to show him just how much one can make, so he could show it around and get true data on how much a driver can make. He was really surprised that my average was $15.54 over the course of time I've worked there!

Currently, I'm adding to two sheets now, Bike Motor, and Wifes spending $$! I don't pay her nearly enough for a stay at home homeschooling mom (SAHHSM) to 4!!

Visit our website (www.jimnkim.net) for more on Fincial Peace University-my really big passion!

GregLWB
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
OK Greg, you don't know me so I'll tell a bit about me. I'm WAY ahead of you on that! I'm a nerd when it comes to that stuff. I have a spreadsheet with about 10 different sheets one sheet for each goal. The bike motor is sheet 3. I list each nights work and break it down, calculating mileage, hours worked, average hourly wage with tips, tithe (10% Charitable giving for those that don't know) and withdrawals. It's a great sheet! I also showed it to the owner at Domino's to show him just how much one can make, so he could show it around and get true data on how much a driver can make. He was really surprised that my average was $15.54 over the course of time I've worked there!

Currently, I'm adding to two sheets now, Bike Motor, and Wifes spending $$! I don't pay her nearly enough for a stay at home homeschooling mom (SAHHSM) to 4!!

Visit our website (www.jimnkim.net) for more on Fincial Peace University-my really big passion!

Yep, I kind of figured that from your Dave Ramsey quote. That's why I figured you would get a laugh out of my suggestion. I have read some of his stuff and have used some of his ideas to help my own financial situation. But never as organized as that!:jester:

Also, if you're making that high of an average there are probably several people that your working with that are green with envy. You must also be a really hard and conciencious(sp?) worker. Great job.

Greg

jimFPU
06-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh, yes I did laugh of course! BTW, by the second of August Kim & I will be Dave Ramsey trained Financial Counselors!! Hoping to start making that my side business, so I can get out of Govt work. Even started talking to Dave's office about working there...

GregLWB
06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh, yes I did laugh of course! BTW, by the second of August Kim & I will be Dave Ramsey trained Financial Counselors!! Hoping to start making that my side business, so I can get out of Govt work. Even started talking to Dave's office about working there...

Good Luck.:)

Greg

jimFPU
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Well finally got the new project back from the LBS. Looks like they got everything installed and torqued...now I have to take it all apart and start work on the rest...

27 smackers...

macka
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
next weld job, spray some PAM anti stick spray where you don't want weld boogers to stick.

jimFPU
08-15-2009, 04:44 PM
next weld job, spray some PAM anti stick spray where you don't want weld boogers to stick.C'mon...really?

macka
08-15-2009, 04:51 PM
C'mon...really?
yea really, just make sure to clean it off with solvent if its a part to be painted. You can't weld it directly as the heat will destroy it, but the boogers won't stick in threads, and if you do get some boogers, they are a lot easier to clean out.

jimFPU
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
OK, then thanks for the tip.

macka
08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
OK, then thanks for the tip.
no problem I like confusing......er helping people :jester: