PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Buffo
06-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm very satisfied with the Streetfox design. Since completing construction I've put almost 600 klms on the beast. I have made a few minor changes to Brad's design.

One of these changes has been to eliminate the rear brake. Although I live in very hilly country, I found that the rear brake is not really needed. It's the front brakes that do the major portion of braking. I found that the rear would merely lock up and leave a neat patch of expensive rubber on the road without contributing much to a shorter stopping distance. Even on gravel, firm application of the front brakes was sufficient to safely pull me up in a very short distance. Getting rid of the rear brake greatly simplifies the cabling and eliminates the need to balance the two front brakes on one lever which in turn shortens the remaining brake cables. The left handle controls the left brake through a very short cable and the right handle controls the right brake through a very short cable.

There is a slight tendency for the sole application of one front brake at a time to pull the Streetfox in that direction, but I've actually used this to my advantage when "screaming" downhill through corners. I can literally steer the machine around corners with light brake pressure on the individual wheels ("tractor steering").

Another mod I made is to mount my steering controls (plus brakes and gear changers) vertically on the brake brackets. I couldn't see the need to add a separate set of handlebars when the brake brackets offered a neat option.

Here's the steering mod with the individual brake setup (RH side). Note the added bar ends (blue) which allow me to change my hand postion on long runs.

TheKid
06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
A lot of tapole people say rear brakes can be dangerous. Nice to see you discovered the fun of "brake steering" .

Bodhi
06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I like your steering design. I'm going to modify my Streetfox with your tank steering idea. I still like three brakes. I use my rear brake for gentle stops or slowing down. On my other tadpole I have two brakes on the rear and no front brakes. :punk:

Buffo
06-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Bodhi,

Actually I got the steering mod idea from the "Fleetrikes" site.

http://www.fleettrikes.com/

Tim Hicks is the creator of the site and has filled it with some excellent builder info. Tim seems to raise his brake brackets to a higher 10 or 11 o'clock positon on the wheels so he has better cockpit clearance. Check out his site if you haven't already. Hicks has also experimented with all sorts of brake and wheel combos on his tadpole designs.

Bodhi
06-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm familiar with Fleet Trike site. Thanks. :scooter:

Buffo
06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Anybody here ever experiment with larger front crank sprockets (like Tim Hicks on "Fleetrikes")? I'm using a standard mountain bike triple with the largest sprocket being 48 teeth. As my leg strength builds I find that I haven't got a high enough gear when I'm getting up speed on downhill or slight downhill runs. I'd loved the extra cranking speed that a bigger front sprocket would give me in these situations.

GregLWB
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Anybody here ever experiment with larger front crank sprockets (like Tim Hicks on "Fleetrikes")? I'm using a standard mountain bike triple with the largest sprocket being 48 teeth. As my leg strength builds I find that I haven't got a high enough gear when I'm getting up speed on downhill or slight downhill runs. I'd loved the extra cranking speed that a bigger front sprocket would give me in these situations.

I'll preface this with I don't have a trike yet - On my old LWB I used to run a 52 tooth with an 11-32 rear on a 26" wheel. It seemed to be enough until I put the assist motor on it and then I was looking for more top end.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/LaBent1.jpg

On my TourMaster I changed it out and am running a 60/48/32 tooth for the front and the same cassette and wheel from the old bike. I do run this bike most of the time with the motor assist but on a flat or downhill I can still use the 60 under just human power.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/TourMasterBike/Picture088.jpg

But most of what I have learned about big rings and eliptical rings like I use on my HR, I learned from info from Sheldon Brown or/and mostly from Tim's Fleettrikes site.

Greg

Buffo
06-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Greg,

I was specifically thinking of putting something like a 60 where the 48 is now. How did you go with the "chain management" when it comes to shifting? My problem is we have some mighty hills in our region and I really need a good, low selection on the front crank. My lowest cog on the front crank is a 28. Is jumping from a 28 to 38 to a 60 asking a bit much for the rear deraileur tensioner to handle the excess chain? Struth, can a standard front deraileur cope with such a jump between a 38 and a 60??!!

TheKid
06-29-2009, 04:14 AM
The front derailler aligns with the chainring, so it's mounted high enough on the tube to just clear the largest ring. The spacing between the rings has more importance. Some deraillers have a limited amount of travel to match cranksets with chainrings that are spaced very close together.

GregLWB
06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Greg,

I was specifically thinking of putting something like a 60 where the 48 is now. How did you go with the "chain management" when it comes to shifting? My problem is we have some mighty hills in our region and I really need a good, low selection on the front crank. My lowest cog on the front crank is a 28. Is jumping from a 28 to 38 to a 60 asking a bit much for the rear deraileur tensioner to handle the excess chain? Struth, can a standard front deraileur cope with such a jump between a 38 and a 60??!!

Buffo - the rear derailleur has a specification as to how many teeth it can take up. I use the Shimano Mega-Range derailleurs on my bikes as they have one of the largest capacities that I have found (45 teeth). That difference is the total change between the rear cassette which in my case is (11-32 = 21 teeth) and the front (32-60 = 28 teeth) for a total of 49 teeth. As you can see on that bike I don't use the 32 tooth chain ring very often but I have conciously made that decision as my TourMaster was purpose built for commuting and to run my assist motor. Running a chain tube and/or an idler pulley seems to help also so that not as much chain weight is hanging on the derailleur.

On my HR I use the same derailleur but am currently running a 28/38/48 (20 teeth) Elliptical chainring set with an 11-34 (23 teeth) rear cassette. So with a total of 43 teeth this one shifts fine to all gear combinations without excess slop. Coming down a really steep hill I can spin this bike out but I don't usually pedal down the hills much anyway (too lazy).:jester:

I hope that gives the information you needed. 25Hz can likely give you far more detailed info and he runs really big chainrings but I'm not sure what sizes he runs on the rear cassettes of his trikes.

Greg

Buffo
06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Greg,

Your responses are definitely helpful... many thanks.

I love to coast down those long grades too, but I find that if I don't keep my legs moving the old muscles can get a bit stiff from the cool breezes we get this time of year. I also feel a bit more stable with my "pins" (legs) movin' on the faster downhill runs... the psychological effect!<g>

TheKid
06-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I love to coast down those long grades too, but I find that if I don't keep my legs moving the old muscles can get a bit stiff from the cool breezes we get this time of year.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Artie sucks.

Buffo
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Artie sucks.

You lost me there 'ol son. Who or what is "Artie?"

Radical Brad
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I think Artie is that guy who brings pain to one's joints.

brad

trikeman
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I believe the slang term "Arte," or "Arte Johnson" (often misspelled Artie), derives from an old character Arte Johnson used to play on Rowen and Marin's "Laugh-In.", where he would fall of a bench regularly at the end of the skit.

Johnson is best known for his work on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, an American television show (1968–1973), on which he played various characters including "Wolfgang", a smoking World War II German soldier scouting the show from behind a bush (still fighting the war !) , invariably commenting on the preceding sketch with the catch phrase "Very interesting ..." followed by either a comic observation or misinterpretation, or simply "but stupid!" Johnson indicated later that the phrase came from Desperate Journey, a 1942 World War II film with Errol Flynn and Ronald Reagan playing Royal Air Force pilots shot down in **** Germany; they managed to cross much of the country without speaking German or knowing the territory but, when captured, their **** interrogator doubts their story with the phrase.[2] Johnson reprised the role while voicing the ****-inspired character Virman Vunderbarr on an episode of Justice League Unlimited.

His other iconic Laugh-In character was "Tyrone F. Horneigh" (the last name pronounced "horn-eye" – a "clean" variant of the vulgar term "horny"), the white-haired, trenchcoat-wearing "dirty old man" who repeatedly sought to seduce "Gladys Ormphby" (Ruth Buzzi's brown-clad 'spinster' character) on a park bench. Tyrone would enter the scene, muttering a song, and, spying Gladys on the bench, would sit next to her. He would ask two related 'leading questions,' each earning him a hard whack from a shocked Gladys using her purse. His third statement would be an appeal for medical assistance, at which time he would fall off the bench.

http://grumpy-people.com/gallery/Buzzi-Johnson_Laugh-In.jpg

TheKid
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I think Artie is that guy who brings pain to one's joints.

Yes. Fred Sanford used his full name, Arthur Itis.

trikeman
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes. Fred Sanford used his full name, Arthur Itis.

That Fred Sanford saying may be closer to the derivation as it was used in the original post. I just keep thinking about the Arte Johnson reports I've read lately from people crashing.

Buffo
06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Got 'ya! (I can be a bit dense at times<g>)

Here we often call it by a bloke's name... "Arthur Rightous."