PDA

View Full Version : Shifters

gphil
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Good grief love that electric D. R. Now that mine is starting to take shape the question comes to mind. Knowing not a thing about these, here is the question. Does it matter what style shifter one uses to match the derailler? I have several types, grip, toggle and so on. The newer bikes had grip twisters and if I chose to use the older style like Brad likes, will they work with the little units on the chain? Must sound stupid to you guys andI could probably figure it out but then that is what this place is for. The video on the electric D. R. is great and I hate to show it to "She who must be obeyed" for I may lose my trike. Got tadpole on my mind anyway. Electric motor??? hummmm. Thanks lots. gphil

Richie Rich
07-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Does it matter what style shifter one uses to match the dérailleur? Thanks lots. gphilAs long as the shifter has the same number of speeds as the freewheel/dérailleur, you should be OK. I use only grip shifters, but that's just a personal preference.

....Richie....

GregLWB
07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
As long as the shifter has the same number of speeds as the freewheel/dérailleur, you should be OK. I use only grip shifters, but that's just a personal preference.

....Richie....

What Richie Said.:) It really comes down to personal choice and what you have in your parts pile. I know Brad uses the old style shifters on his bikes. I think mainly because they are easy to set up and he likes them (he also probably has a lot more of them in his parts pile too).

I put Grip-Shift on the Mom-Ridian and it will go on my daughters trike too. My wife also has them on her DiamondBack bike and they all really like them. I on the other hand hate them (fussy to set up) and it may be due to my big paws but I also tend to shift every time I move/push/pull the handlebars.

Personally I prefer Shimano Rapid-Fire shifters and end up purchasing new ones for the bikes I ride.

Greg

alecw35
07-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Some different brands arent compatable as they pull more cable.
Like Campagnola and Shimano and Suntour are different.
But you gotta watch SRam too. As they use different leverage in some of there components, and might be mixed with Shimano on bikes.

I have changed Grip shift to Thumb shift on a couple of bikes. On one that had more modern mechs. The shift was very light. It was ok though. Maybe better to be light

gphil
07-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I am finding out there is lots to know about bikes. More than I thought. Thanks for the info on the shifters , very useful. I am now attempting to cut the notches in the front tube that holds the front fork and wheel. That is no walk through the park either, for me. Want it to be correct and try to keep t he proper degrees as per plans. It seems the notches are good but the sides of the tube do not quite run flush with the head tube. ?????? Practice some more before final weld. Thanks guys. gphil