PDA

View Full Version : Calling all weldors

Ashdod Slim
03-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many of us krew members are certified, trained or have plans to get training in welding?
I must admit I've been bitten by the bug and want to take it as far as I can even though at my age I will never weld professionally. This summer is when i take my first community college class and I will earn a certificate if I can. This past year has taught me how much I don't know, and though I have cobbled together an awesome ride I know future projects will benefit from more education.
-Doug

SirJoey
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Well Doug, I for one don't plan on it, even though I don't weld worth a darn.

For one reason, the course is too expensive. For another, with the college being nearly a 50 mile round trip, the gas to get there in my gas-hog van, is too expensive, & mainly, cuz I've prolly already finished about 90% of everything I plan on doing.

In June, I'll "officially" be a senior citizen, so for this ol' man, it's time for less hacking, & more riding! :D

Richie Rich
03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
....I've prolly already finished about 90% of everything I plan on doing.....so for this ol' man, it's time for less hacking, & more riding! NO..NO..NO....!! Say it isn't so, Joe...!! :eek:

Don't ever stop hacking....You've got to keep the 'magic' rolling out of that 'Magic Bus' of yours...!!

Just remember....you can never be too handsome, too rich, or have too many bikes...!!

Keep on burning metal, bud.....

.......Richie Rich >>

TheKid
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Cut Those Bikes! Melt That Steel! Fill The Air With Paint!

SirJoey
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
....you can never be too handsome, too rich, or have too many bikes...!!

Good point, Richie, good point! Although, I AM running out of space to store the darn things, so I'm not real sure about that last one, heh-heh!

Richie Rich
03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of us krew members are certified, trained or have plans to get training in welding-DougMy 'training' consisted of a quicky Adult Evening course taken at the local High School a few decades ago. It'll never get me certified, but it was enough to get me started. Now it's "Learn as you go" which in some cases is the best education.

......Richie >>

TheKid
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
We were taught O/A welding and braising, and arc welding in ninth grade metal shop, 1966. I did some O/A welding when I worked in auto repair shops in the early 70's. That was it until 2 years ago, when I started arc welding these bikes. I get some tips from a friend and a neighbor, and that will be it for my training. Like Richie, I'm learning as I'm going.

n9viw
03-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I took a welding course back in the early 90s that covered OA welding and brazing, stick, MIG, and TIG. Can't do a whole lot in 8 weeks, but it at least gave me the basics.

Since then, I've brazed with oxy-Mapp, and welded primarily with MIG and stick... of course, I'm better at MIG than stick, but I'm good enough at stick to have just repaired a crack and some rot in my Jeep frame last night. Not beautiful, but it'll hold until I can get another frame. #%$#% YOU AND YOUR ROAD SALT, ILLINOIS D.O.T.! (IlDiOTs)

AtomicZombie
03-27-2008, 01:29 AM
C.W.B. - all position. Way back in the early days.

Brad

SirJoey
03-27-2008, 07:02 AM
#%$#% YOU AND YOUR ROAD SALT, ILLINOIS D.O.T.! (IlDiOTs)

Having grown up in northwestern Indiana, I can relate, Nick. It was the same for me. Many of my cars were still running, when they succumbed to salt cancer.

Only in my case, the D.O.T. was InDiOTs! :rolleyes:

Hey, since I grew up there, I guess I'm a former INdiot myself!

nzvet
04-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Certified (4711) downhand in MIG about 25 years ago and 10 years production MIG experience. Did little in TIG, Arc and gas as well. Gas (oxy/acet) requires more skill (and safety considerations) so a course is a good idea.

unit042
04-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Good point, Richie, good point! Although, I AM running out of space to store the darn things, so I'm not real sure about that last one, heh-heh!

Perhaps you can use a propane torch and melt all the metal together into one huge... errrr... whatever holds molten metal, then pour the 'mutt-metal';) as I like to call it, into a mold (or mould) and make a cheapo midevil sword! And some people take the easy way out... $60 on a basic work of art you wouldn't dare swing.

Just sprinkling a few bad ideas (that I'm about to do myself) around these forums, trying to help with the spread of dangerous knowledge....

Sigh.:cool:

trikeman
05-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I would love to be a better welder, but at this stage in my life I can't see what more schooling and certification would really do for me. I am 58 and have several degrees. When I decided to learn to weld it was to put these insane bicycles together for myself. Some said "take a course." I decided to buy a welder instead, and I have no regrets about that. If I ever do take a course, at least I will know which end of the stingers goes up when I start lol.

zobman
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Just keep doin it till it holds together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trikeman
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Just keep doin it till it holds together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no problem with stuff holding together. I would just like it to be a bit prettier before I get out the grinder :D

Patrike
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I have no problem with stuff holding together. I would just like it to be a bit prettier before I get out the grinder :D

Smartflix has some good vids(come DVD) on welding, MIG, TIG and Oxy I think.

http://smartflix.com/store (http://smartflix.com/store)

I got the MIG(have 110vac fluxcore) and TIG(was thinking about it) -- and I thought they had lots of great info.

Good luck
Patrick

savarin
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
all positions, all processes, was Lloyds low hydrogen certified for pipe and pressure vessels.
Havnt welded pro since 1978.
Had to give the gas bottles back the other month so only have the mig set now.
Worst couple of jobs I had were gas welding heavy aluminium castings and the other end of the spectrum tig welding embossed 3.5 thou thick stainless sheet. (roof of the records building at Kew)
If I had the money I would have a full tig set then I could weld anything I wanted.