PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Tube

gphil
07-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok here is the question. Position of the pilot tube on frame. Plans call for about 5 " ahead of the seat. Are we talking about the seat cushion or the front down support of the seat frame? I find after a " test setting" that the plans put the bars just too close to my body. However, at 8 " ahead of the support tube it seems good. Don't want to weld the piece down only to find out wrong. I do not think so though. Maybe my arms are longer or maybe the seat itself is a little too far forward or the bend on the tube that holds the bars is too much. Lots off angles and ways to get off. I am going to go with what is comfortable but would like to hear if any of you experenced the same. Once more thanks. gphil

TheKid
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Comfortable positioning is the key. It doesn't matter where the tube is, as long as the tie rod to the fork doesn't interfere with pedaling. For example, if it's too high, your pants leg may catch the rod end. I made my tube different than the plans, and it works fine.

GregLWB
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
What Kid said. It is all about your comfort. I am a guy that doesn't just shop in the big section or the tall section at the store, I am both.:jester: So all of my bikes have to be adjusted a little from Brad's plans in order to fit 'around me', but that's why I started building them in the first place (couldn't find one to buy that fit just right).

Good luck and build to fit.:)

Greg

gphil
07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Quick response and I figured on the answeres I got. Being comfortable is key. Just could not steer properly with my elbows hitting the old bod. Inch or two won't matter. Getting closer all the time and have not forgotten about the pics just busy . Thanks. gphil