View Full Version : derailler (rear)

08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Looking for a little help and advice here. My derailler looks like the one in the plans being it is shapd the same etc. I cut the tab as per plans and started measuring out the mount for welding and so on. Noe welding the support arm on puts the angle incorrect. Now the little tab is spring loaded and wants to hold the entire unit wrong. I really do not know how to phrase the question except to say that after you put the chain on will that make the derailler hang like it supposed to? I think a set screw held the spring tension on the arm. I am just figureing the chain will pull the unit more or less parallel to the frame. Or do I need to use a different one. Finding out they differ. lI say though the one I have is nearly identical to the one in the plans. Baffeled old man . I hope I explained that clearly if not I will send pictures if necessary. Thanks guys. gphil

Radical Brad
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Definitely pictures!

08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
In the pics you can see mine is the same as the plans. The other shows a red area depicting the frame with the tab ( mount) pointing towards it as it would be once welded. Spring tension in the little tab portion is strong . Will, after welding, the body of the derailler pull down parallel more less with the chain installed? This needs to be correct and straight etc. Don't want to have to cut it off later. Hope this clears my thoughts up a little. gphil

08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
After the derailler is installed, the chain has to be installed properly to bring the derailler into position. What you have now looks fine.
It's not difficult to make the chain the correct length. Instructions are in the link below. Just remember to run the chain through any pulleys (except the derailler pulleys, as you will see in the instructions) when determining the length.

Radical Brad
08-11-2009, 12:07 PM
In your photos, it looks good to me so far. If you are not sure, just tack the derailleur and then get your chain to length for testing.

08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. Guess what I was wondering is when I tack weld the unit to the frame will I have to keep it at a angel or just stright to the frame. On a bike it has a screw holding it at an angle to the dropout. The chain then will cause that angle after installed? Little tab has some tension. Just was not sure if I had to hold he tab at an angle with a tie or some thing. But thinking about it , would not matter anyway. I am just makeing a problem out of nothing. Bear with me for the second one will be much faster. Done a lot of things but never knew there was so much to know about bikes. Loveing it anyway.

What motor should I consider ????? Hub or frame mount?????/ gphil