PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build and a few questions

LO2W
08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I just downloaded the plans for the Tourmaster today. After going through the various plans, this seemed the best fit for me as a first project. Hopefully I am right in that assumption.

Looking through the plans, I see they call for a pair of 26" mountain bikes. Looking at some of the posts, it seems possible to use 1 frame and use tubing for the rest. What I need to figure out is if the mountain bike is necessary or if I could use the frame of my old 10 speed road bike?

Thanks! Looking forward to this.

Radical Brad
08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Hello!

If you can weld it, you can use it.
EMT (thin walled electrical conduit) is also a decent replacement for bike tubing.

Brad

LO2W
08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
That's what I thought just from the quick glance.

This is going to be my intro to welding. We have a shop/art collective here with all the shop and machine tools with various open hours and membership rates. I think the basic rate for 6 months is $80 and gives you 24 hours a month of shop time and a discount on storage. If you go over your shop time allotment it's $5 hour. I'm trying to get a few other fellow cyclists together to see about doing a basic class and then working over the months to complete the project.

locolarry
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
LO2W,
I don't know where you live, but for most of us donor bikes are fairly easy to come by for Free or almost free. Check local Craigslist under "free" several times a day on weekends..be first to reply, lots of times you get there for one bike...tell them what your plans are...they'll give you more and better ones! Sometimes I buy just the right donor bike for five bucks..sometimes I go to Walmart and buy a New bike for $85.00 and have all new componets for my project. Local Thrift shops sell bikes for a few dollars..sometimes they'll give you their non-repairables for a two dollar donation...take some trash to the dump/landfill...those guys will save bikes for you if they can....Craigslist bike section.."wanted: Junk bikes for parts..Please don't put them in the landfill" got me 15 bikes in two weeks....for FREE!

Loco

LO2W
08-31-2009, 05:28 AM
We also have a bike co-op so if I need a second bike, I can probably get a decent selection there for pretty cheap.

I think the 10 speed frame should work for the most part. It's in pretty good condition. I'd probably use it for the front and look for a second bike for the back so I can fit more a more modern hub andgears.

LO2W
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Just took the front 26x2.0 wheel and tire from my DF mountain bike to see how it would the Schwinn fork. Not bad but the fat tire was rubbing at the top. I'll have to look for a cheap 26x1.5 tire to see if it clears better.

I have a dynamo hub with drum brake, so reach won't be an issue. Now if the skinnier tire fits, I should be able to get another donor bike for the back and hopefully with all the bits and pieces I need to finish it off.