PDA

View Full Version : Fox with warrior aspirations

cncman333
08-31-2009, 05:12 PM
It has been my intention to build a Street Fox, but when the warrior came out I got to thinking that I might be able to incororate a few things from it in the Fox. I just want to make sure I am not asking for trouble... well at least not too much trouble. :)

First off, I am thinking dual disk brakes in the front (none in back). That should not be too much of a challenge and should give better braking.

Secondly, and this is the one I question - Does anyone see any problems with doing an underseat steering on a Streetfox?

trikeman
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
It has been my intention to build a Street Fox, but when the warrior came out I got to thinking that I might be able to incororate a few things from it in the Fox. I just want to make sure I am not asking for trouble... well at least not too much trouble. :)

First off, I am thinking dual disk brakes in the front (none in back). That should not be too much of a challenge and should give better braking.

Secondly, and this is the one I question - Does anyone see any problems with doing an underseat steering on a Streetfox?

(1)If you are like most of us and use parts from existing bikes, you are going to do a bit of customizing anyway. Its the zombie way.

(2) As far as USS on the StreetFox, I don't see why you need it - the arm position is pretty low anyway, and the cockpit is open already. If you must have it, however, see (1).

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product/streetfox/streetfox14-lg.jpg

cncman333
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Well I don't think I "need" USS but I like the idea of having a more intuative steering system.

Locutus
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
I did USS on my Street Fox very similar to the design used on the Warrior. Personally I think it's superior to the tiller steering of the standard Steet Fox. You can review my project here (there's plenty of pictures):

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=2295

The pictures of the steering, IIRC, should be about in the middle of the thread.

I'd say go for it. My steering works great, and I had to figure it out for myself, without the advantage of the Warrior plans to help me.

trikeman
08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Loc - in what way do you find it better? I agree that it shoudn't be too hard of a mod, and you could probably just adapt the Warrior plans for it.

Locutus
08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Loc - in what way do you find it better? I agree that it shoudn't be too hard of a mod, and you could probably just adapt the Warrior plans for it.

USS (as I did it) has no tiller effect, and the hand and arm position is very comfortable.

When I was initially considering the Street Fox for my commute with a hub motor capable of 30+ MPH, Brad himself advised me that the steering and brakes of the standard design may not be adequate at those speeds. I think he said that the tiller steering might feel too twitchy.

I've also found that USS can be used as leverage to help keep you in your seat when cornering.

trikeman
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks loc. Even though I don't plan on building a motorized tadpole I will have to remember that.

likebikes
09-24-2009, 10:45 PM
The pictures are on page 6 and really nice execution! I was looking at another trike that used a bell crank and both of the arms off the kingpins to the B-C have to point at the rear axel. Different but I think Locutus idea looks better. I definetly want to build a trike, I just gotta get another build under my belt before I take that on.

Buffo
10-09-2009, 06:02 AM
I live in very hilly country. Riding in this part of Oz often consists of either going up a steep hill or down one. I've cut back my Streetfox braking to two front calipers and no rear unit. I weigh around 180lbs and I carry two litres of water, a lunch, tools, two tubes and a spare pair of shoes in my panniers. The trike weighs around 26 kilos by itself. I have no problems getting the two front calipers to pull me up, even at 60 kph on a steep decent!

Brad gives excellent advice on setting up the front configuration for the Streetfox. I seem to have hit it spot on with this first trike. I find the steering very responsive and really comfortable for our road conditions. With the steering configuration I have, I can actually apply one front brake alone without any real control problems. You could go to the trouble of mucking around with disc brakes, but I'm not sure they are worth the money and extra work.

PeterT
10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Buffo,

Which part of Oz do you live in?

Buffo
10-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Peter,

The Atherton Tablelands up in FarOutNorthQueensland.

Buffo

PeterT
10-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Put it in your location marker, so we Ozzies can show the world!

Look forward to your builds!

PeterT

jpsantell
11-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I was going to start a thread very similar to this one before I found it. So would the USS and disc brake info work on the streetfox without too much mucking around? My problem is that I have managed to save $600 dollars for this trike build and may not have an opportunity to do so again so I don't want to make any expensive mistakes. I also want to use 20mm disc hubs as I live in the pothole capital of NY state which is also drumlin country and weigh 230 pounds, I may need the stopping power. Will this work also? I'm mechanically inclined but real short on bike experience. I haven't done any bike building since I was 11 years old and turned my buzz bike into a chopper with a real cool blue banana seat and extended sissy bar with matching head pad. I still remember that bike fondly.

Darkmeer
01-05-2011, 02:46 AM
jp:
I'm looking at doing the exact same thing for my build. I would strongly recommend looking at the Warrior tadpole trike's plans and figure out what modifications need to be made for the streetfox. Honestly, looking at how it's all set up, I really don't think it will be that big of an issue. It's a matter of the cost of the disc brakes that's going to be killer on the project. When I was pricing them tonight they are... expensive... to say the least (I was looking at around $200-$350 USD for the trio). Anyone with any information on where to obtain them with less expense would be much appreciated.

imamedik
01-05-2011, 07:38 AM
jp:
... Anyone with any information on where to obtain them with less expense would be much appreciated.

try here http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18905-115_AVDB59-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB5-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-2010.htm

Darkmeer
01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
try here http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18905-115_AVDB59-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB5-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-2010.htm

Super cool! Thanks! Do you have any advice for the hubs too?