PDA

View Full Version : New controller

TheKid
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
The controller for my Currie motor blew. It was a 30a Chinese no-name for $20. I have another that I figure could be used as a backup for a few days, which worked out okay. However, I noticed that this tiny 30a backup didn't work as well as the first one. I received my new controller today, another Chinese no-name for $30. This time, I went with a 40a.
What a difference. The trike goes over 20mph, and neither the overvolted 24v motor or the controller gets warm. The pitch of the scream from the motor is higher, so I'm assuming the motor is reving at more RPM. Also, the acceleration improved.
If this controller blows, I'll go for the extra bucks and get a Kelly controller.
Even though this is a brushed motor, I'm happy with how well it works on such a heavy trike.

nineball
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
sounds like it's time to add 12 more volts, and hit 25-30

TheKid
09-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Actually, hitting 20mph for me is fine, especially on a top heavy trike. It feels a bit wobbly at the higher speeds. I generally stay at around 15mph. Top speed with the old controller was 18mph. I wanted to see if it would go faster with a higher amp controller, which it did. Now I don't have to ride with the throttle full open. With the faster acceleration, about 3/4 works just fine. Even on hills, it slows down a tad, but doesn't sound like it's straining like it did with the old controller.