PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a 2 piece crank apart?

darwin-t
12-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a 2 piece crank on my donor bike. I removed the nut that secures the left crank on. How do I get that crank off of the shaft without damaging anything?

Thanks.

greenevegiebeast
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
there are commercially available crank arm pullers from your lbs

jimFPU
12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
You really have to get the tool. You'll break the crank if you don't. It will be good to have one anyway.

noahvale
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
This is what you need: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CCP-22

Used mine last night. I bought it about 25 years ago. I love Park tools.

darwin-t
12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
The shop wanted $23 for the tool, but they charged me only $2 to pull both cranks. The main thing is that I didn't damage anything by hammering on it. Thanks, guys.

fultondp
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Get a basic bike specialty tool kit. Here is a good starter kit for the price of the one tool at your LBS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MINI-BIKE-BICYCLE-HOME-MECHANIC-TOOL-REPAIR-KIT_W0QQitemZ200416999138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCyclin g_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea9c8b6e2

You can find similar all over ebay or amazon, just search BIKE TOOLS.

Darren

Danner
12-15-2009, 09:32 PM
No doubt $2 was a lot less than $23, as long as you don't take them off again. I've had mine on and off 3 times while building my project over the last 6 months, and I was so happy to have my own tool to pull them off whenever I needed. The Park Tool makes the job so simple!

WAMason
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Get a basic bike specialty tool kit. Here is a good starter kit for the price of the one tool at your LBS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MINI-BIKE-BICYCLE-HOME-MECHANIC-TOOL-REPAIR-KIT_W0QQitemZ200416999138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCyclin g_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea9c8b6e2

You can find similar all over ebay or amazon, just search BIKE TOOLS.

Darren

Excellent find, fultondp! I just ordered one.

I already own half the tools in the kit but, as you said, for the price of one tool at the LBS, now I have the rest. Plus, now I have two of the others, and seeing as how I can never find the one I'm looking for, this will double my chances. :)

fultondp
12-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Or be like me, put them both in the same place. So when I lose a tool, I get two for the price of one!

Darren

PS: Buying your wife a set of screwdrivers for Xmas is NOT a good idea, no matter how good a deal you got at Sears.

WAMason
12-17-2009, 01:16 AM
...when I lose a tool, I get two for the price of one!

The problem is I never seem to find them! I think the underpants gnomes are branching out.

But not to detract from darwin-t's original post, that's a really good deal for them to pull it for $2. If you're going to do it regularly though you'll appreciate having your tool. I just got shipping confirmation that the tool kit I ordered from fultondp's recommendation will be here Friday. I'll try to post my review of it in a seperate thread once it arrives.

PS: Buying your wife a set of screwdrivers for Xmas is NOT a good idea, no matter how good a deal you got at Sears.

Sage advice! That sounds like a really funny story! I hope you don't mind but started a thread in general chat regarding this. :)