PDA

View Full Version : Removing Old Paint

bentlee
12-30-2009, 04:12 AM
This is my first build/hack. I tried paint thinner, laquer thinner, denatured alcohol but nothing happened! I am building a mild hack stretch cruiser from a Magna Great divide, what do I do to remove finish?

PeterT
12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
file carefully, flap disc lightly, grind lightly, use of flame torch to burn paint off, all else fails ... dynamite!

PeterT

ps WELCOME

TheKid
12-30-2009, 05:56 AM
There are some good removers available from auto parts stores. Spray on, hose off. It gets most of it off, the rest can be wire brushed or sanded. In most cases, you really don't have to remove the paint, except where you'll be welding. Just remove all decals, and sand smooth. Where you need bare metal, use course paper, then finer and finer paper to feather with the paint. Weld away, then sand the welds, and use spot filler to blend in a smooth finish. Prime, then paint the frame.

noahvale
12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Paint remover doesn't usually work too well on bikes. I take them outside and heat just a small area at at time with a propane torch until the paint discolors and then brush it off with a wire brush.

Radical Brad
12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
A tiger torch and a wire brush can sometimes do magic, but that is also an outdoor job.

Brad