PDA

View Full Version : My Streetfox

corfrancais
01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Here's an image of my recently completed Streetfox. Fun to build and fun to ride. I'll see about posting a better image later on. The weather's been too cold here to take it outside so I currently have it on an exercise stand I've been using to work out in preparation for springtime. I have taken it out a couple times in spite of the weather, even though there's still been some snow and ice it is very stable and rides great, pretty fast too. I had enough spare parts left over I'm building a smaller more light-weight version that will be easy to throw in the back of the station wagon for transport.

Richie Rich
01-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the AZ Krew, corfrancais.

Great looking Street Fox..!! You'll love riding it this Summer.
Be sure to post a picture in the Builder's Gallery.

...Richie Rich...

Radical Brad
01-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Nice ride!
I wish I was brave enough to venture outdoors right now.

Brad

HPVTraveler
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Congrats on a job that looks well done. Can't wait to see a vid report on your shake down cruise in warmer weather.

Also am enjoying your bumper sticker, on the car ... nice.

taytayou812
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Great looking bike! Did you make the seat? It looks a bit like a snowboard, but padded. It looks great on the bike and real comfy too. Great job! And I'M glad to see more Colorado builders here! -taylor-

corfrancais
01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Great looking bike! Did you make the seat? It looks a bit like a snowboard, but padded. It looks great on the bike and real comfy too. Great job! And I'M glad to see more Colorado builders here! -taylor-
The seat is a velotechnik I found used at a great price on the local craigslist. I could have made one from scratch but I saw the seat I bought and decided it would be a nice and lightweight option. It made the mounts really easy to fabricate too as all I had to do was weld on 2 pieces of 1/4" id tubing.

John Lewis
01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Hi corfrancais,

Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice trike you have turned out there. Certainly looks like it will be a great ride.

John Lewis

likebikes
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice job! I'd like to see the seat mounts you made as I have a similar kind of seat on my hiroller. My solution was to build a T post on the frame and drill two screws through the seat base. Not what I wanted to do but it was easy enough. I'm hoping to do a trike next year and I'm looking for better solutions.

Buffo
02-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Really nice job!

Could I also get a closer shot of that seat and its mounts?

corfrancais
02-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Here's a couple more images of the seat and the mounts. Hard to get a good image of the mounts as there isn't much to them. There's 2 aluminum brackets that were existing on this Velo seat when I bought it, all I had to do to get it mounted was weld on 2 pieces of 1/4" id x 1/2" od x 1 3/4" long steel tubing. If you have a similar seat without the brackets it'd be real easy to make some similar brackets out of steel or aluminum, the brackets are bolted through the seat. Hopefully this is some help.

corfrancais
02-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Just posted some images of the seat mounts in another reply, you can click on the next reply to check it out.

Buffo
02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Nice, well designed mounts. I particularly like the incorporated pivot and bracket for changing the seat angle. Good work!

I would like to build a light weight (carbon?) fibreglass seat to replace the plywood and foam seat of the original Streetfox plan. Turns at speed often have me arse' wanting to slide off. What I need is a narrow bucket with a removeable pad. Has anybody out there come across a good plan? Commercial tadpole recumbent seats are rare and expensive around my neck of the woods.

corfrancais
02-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I purchased an unused Sun recumbent seat on ebay for my latest project ( a 'mutant' streetfox, images to be posted soon) at a price of only $27 plus $40 shipping, total cost $67. There's some cheap ones out there if you're patient, there's a lot of work involved in making one. I found an ebay seller in the UK who has some formed ones pretty cheap, I'm not sure what his shipping to the US might be. You can check out his current listings at http://shop.ebay.com/marcin5753/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 . He doesn't currently have a size M listed but I emailed and he can provide them. I was all set to buy one of these then I happened on the Sun seat and bought that instead.

Odd Man Out
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I found an ebay seller in the UK who has some formed ones pretty cheap, I'm not sure what his shipping to the US might be. You can check out his current listings at http://shop.ebay.com/marcin5753/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 .

I bought one from him -- excellent seat and a great deal btw. shipping is only 15 Pounds (around $47). He is also now selling carbon fiber seats of the same type for about 1/3 of what anyone else is selling them for -- a helluva deal. If you look thru my blog for building the "Spartan and Hoplite Warrior trikes" here you will see pix of the seat. Great stuff.

Buffo
02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the Ebay seat link. The prices and product look excellent. The thing that might kill me is the postage to "Oz" (Australia). I'll definitely look into it.

graucho
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Very nice ride you have there. All of these rides keep getting more comfortable. I'm afraid Id take a nap while riding. Yours included corfrancais.

Buffo
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Gruacho wrote: "I'm afraid Id take a nap while riding. Yours included corfrancais."

That's what's great about these things (recumbent trikes). A hot day, a long steep hill, a shady tree... hummmm, sounds like an excellent idea. Been there, done that!<g>

Buffo
02-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Odd Man Out,

What are the dimensions on the "M" (medium) seat that you purchased? I'm wondering if I should go for a large or medium.

Odd Man Out
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Odd Man Out,

What are the dimensions on the "M" (medium) seat that you purchased? I'm wondering if I should go for a large or medium.

Dimensions would be hard to give since it is so curvy -- I weigh 220 and am 5' 11" and it fits me like a glove. Hope this helps.

Buffo
02-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a "medium" would do me. I was mainly wondering about the rough dimension across the front of the seat at its widest point (literally under the "bum"). I use a modified steering control on my Streetfox and it would be possible for a too wide seat to foul my controls.

Didn't you also purchase the "cover?" If you did, how's the padding and grip of the product?

Odd Man Out
02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry for the delay -- the widest point is 10 3/4 inches.
I did not buy the cover.

dynodon
02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
really cool! Just sat on a sun trike at the lbs and at $2100 think I'll build one!

Buffo
02-24-2010, 09:03 AM
O.M.O.,

Thanks again for all the info on the seat. Also thanks for introducing me to your Warrior building blog... a real treasure trove of building experiences and good info.

Odd Man Out
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
O.M.O.,

Thanks again for all the info on the seat. Also thanks for introducing me to your Warrior building blog... a real treasure trove of building experiences and good info.

Buffo
Your Welcome -- I am here to help and learn. Ain't this a great site or what!?!?!?