PDA

View Full Version : Plan style foam

onrecess
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
I finished my Street Fox seat, after having to start over. The hardest foam I found at fabric/crafts stores was way, I mean WAY, too soft. $30. Felt like it wasn't there. I bought a sleeping bag pad and it was like a board. $24. I felt like Big Red(neck) Riding Hood! I scrounged a piece of 2" AC refrigeration pipe insulation. Split open it covers a 12" seat perfectly and tapers nicely front and rear as is. Very comfortable (and free!) A 12" wide seat is surprisingly comfortable. You have to lean on a Fox!

darwin-t
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Where does one find 2" refrigeration pipe insulation? Is it sold in hardware stores?

Thanks.

John Lewis
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I used airconditioner filter foam. It seems to be used on a number of bents. It is in sheet form. I bought it at a plastics outlet but any industrial air conditioner shop should have it.

John Lewis

onrecess
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
A lot of cities have ac supply stores that will sell to homeowners. They sell pipe style or sheets. Check your local yellow pages. The AC guys were at our school and I just asked for a piece. I just told them what I was building and they were happy to help. The only pipe insulation I found at Home Depot was NOT black rubber, but rather foam like a pool noodle.