PDA

View Full Version : Just ditched the flux core...

erebus
02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
...and I am never going back!

I worked in a boatyard for 6 years and have always been a stick welder (not as my day to day job, but just when the real welder was not available), played around with a little mig here and there, but always with flux core wire.

Just recently purchased a reconditioned Hobart Handler 187 from toolking (whom I highly recommend, by the way) and have been playing around with the sample roll of .030 flux core that came with the unit.
Nothing too shocking, nice welder pretty typical weld quality for my somewhat inexperienced hand.
Yesterday I found myself at Airgas picking up some flap discs and decided to also pick up a bottle of 75/25 argon/co2 and some .023 solid wire while I was there.
Got home, hooked it up and my welds went from "meh" to "wow"!

Need to recalibrate myself a bit in my technique, but what a difference in weld quality.
I feel I can much more fine tune the amperage and the wire speed than with the flux core.

If you've been on the fence about going to gas, I give it a (slightly burned) thumbs up!

Z~

StevefromOH
02-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Great advice. I too do not use flux core unless I am outside welding in windy conditions.
Then Flux is necessary because the gas will not stay around the weld in the wind.

You will see better welds with the argon/co2 for sure.

graucho
02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the great info erebub. Looking at your avitar.... You made me wonder that it would look like welding with 3-D glasses on under the mask? :jester:

erebus
02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
You made me wonder that it would look like welding with 3-D glasses on under the mask?

Heh. Probably pretty far out, but I bet the welds would suck.

Those were actually glasses for looking directly at the sun from the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii.
Not sure what the filter rating was on those.
Probably pretty high.
:sunny: