PDA

View Full Version : Crank Arm removal help

Bunk
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
What is the easy way to remove the crank arm on the side with the front chain rings. I was able to pound with a hammer on the other side to get that crank arm off. Not sure of the best way to get the other side off. Not much room and donít want to damage any of the components. Thanks for your help in advance.

Kyle

P.S. Temps are warming up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and am ready to get moving on my Maurader build.

badcheese
03-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I think a crank puller is worth the price. Mine was about $10 at the LBS.

Gerald_G
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Yup - there is no better way, and the tool will come in handy over and over.

jimFPU
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Definitely. After pounding on the side with the cogs and breaking them...I got a crank puller and took it apart the first time, with no more fuss. Of course those cranks were no longer any good to me...right tool for the job.

Bunk
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Bad cheese what store is LBS? Can anyone point me to a crank puller? Thanks!

TheKid
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
LBS - Local Bike Shop

I prefer this type of crank puller. You could use a breaker bar and a socket for stubborn cranks, and even add a length of pipe (commonly called a "persuader") to the breaker bar for really stuck crank arms.

http://www.ebikestop.com/park_tool_cwp_7c_universal_crank_puller-TL8370.php

My first one was one of these. It didn't hold up when I used a persuader on a tough crank arm.

http://www.ebikestop.com/park_tool_ccp_22c_crank_puller_for_square_cranks-TL8371.php

onrecess
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
In the book Brad just used a drift or metal rod stuck through the holes and a hammer. Worked fine for us. Ours came right off, the sprockets were never touched and you can pound just as hard through the drift as a straight shot. Cost? $0 Right in my price range.

Bunk
03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for you help guys. I figured I would use a crank puller a few times so I just bought the universal one from Ebikestop.

Kyle