PDA

View Full Version : Building bikes in the U.K.

velotux
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi all.

My name's Tim. I live in Southend in Essex. I am building my wife a touring Meridian. She will be using it daily to get to work. It is going very well so far. I am going to build myself one for nice relaxing weekend rides and a bit more exercise, if and when we get some sunshine. My wife would like a loadrunner as well, and I have got the bike builders bonanza book and bikes for the evil genius as well, so have lots of fun planned for future projects and more than enough to keep me occupied, entertained and get those imaginative grey things going. I am an engineer and love the creativity and the opportunities the bikes give to make them your own. Totally loving the build and looking forward to riding a whole stable of zombies of all shapes and sizes.

All the best and happy building!

Tim

HPVTraveler
03-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard. Always good to hear from those accross the pond.

Am not certian but from the posts that I have seen, there many AZ builders & hackers that live in the UK.

Again welcome to the "world garage".

KoolKat
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome, Tim! :sunny:

jammin
03-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey Tim. I work in Leigh on Sea and live in sunny Grays. I've just uploaded pictures of my overkill chopper under the name of roff chop. Have a look and let me know what you think. I'm planning on getting down to the sea front this summer for a few rides, if you see me then come say hi.

velotux
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi jammin.

I couldn't find your pictures yet. Should not be hard to work out its you though lol. There cant be many round these parts. My wife's Meridian is nearing completion. It is fluorescent atomic zombie green and I have done some custom mods to it so again it is not hard to spot. That was the idea for safety as she will be using it every day. When it is finished I will start on mine. We should probably get together at the seafront anyway for some photos and a chat and a cruise.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
03-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Found your pictures jammin. Great looking bike. Well done.

jammin
03-16-2010, 07:56 AM
As you can see I also chose a bright colour, well a little bit any ways. I'm glad you like it though. Meeting down the sea front would deffinately be cool for some pictures too. Summer time around the bank holiday weekends when all the bikers turn up too.

velotux
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
sounds cool. I should have my meridian done by then as well. Is there a collective term for Atomic Zombies? I will have my wifes bike finished at Easter holiday so I will take some photos and post them.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
My first bike completed and test rides today in the rain. I built the Meridian for my wife. Originally I built it as per the instructions. My wife is quite short and she found the length a bit scary so I shortened it for her. It rides well and both builder and rider are very happy. I had to have a go of course! I have to build one for myself now.

velotux
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
More picture of test riding and completed bike

Radical Brad
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Great showing!
Can I send one to the gallery?

Brad

jimFPU
03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
It's so funny to see that silly 'bent grin on both of them!! I still have it after 5 years!

velotux
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I sent the higher res picture with the bike my wife and I and the dafodills to the builders gallery address Brad. Its really funny Jim. Every time my wife was preparing to push off on the test ride she chuckled. It was great to see her enjoying it so much even though it was raining and windy.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
05-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Hi AZ Krew!

Here are some pics of my Meridian I completed last night. I took it out for a test ride and just had to keep on riding. I did 6 miles/smile on the test ride. Just needs some tweaks to the chain length. Other than that I couldn't be happier with it. Very comfortable and a smooth ride. Very proud and had a blast building this one to. I have a problem now though. Do I go out and enjoy a ride, or get on with enjoying building the E-bike or touring trike works in progress? Decisions decisions.

All the best.

Tim.

P.S. Note to Brad/Kat. Have sent pic to gallery as well for you.

MarcusPHagen
05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
It rides well and both builder and rider are very happy.

Nice work! That looks like a very practical and fun daily ride. I like the rack & panniers.

Marcus

velotux
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks Marcus.

It gets used every day for commuting with a smile in all weathers. It worked out well and is indeed very practical. It wont break any speed records but its still faster and more comfortable than a wedgie and you look cooler on a bent! Plus I got to build it and loved it so much I made another.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi AZ Krew.

Filled with confidence from the experience of building my first 2 Meridians, and armed with the superb information in the AZ books and friendly support from the forums I decided to design and build an electrically assisted bicycle of my own. This is what I came up with. I have learned a great deal about bicycle design thanks to Brad and Kat and all those good folks in the AZ krew and have enjoyed every moment of it. The bike was great fun to design and build. It rides great with good stability at all speeds thanks to the information on steering geometry on the website. The center of gravity is low which helps due to the low slung batteries. It weighs 30kg with batteries and is capable of 15 MPH without pedaling to comply with uk law, and has a 200W motor which again is a limitation of the law here. Because of the crank forward design you can safely plant your feet on the floor while remaining seated and the riding positition is more comfortable and relaxed than an upright. It can acomodate riders from 5 foot to 6 foot 4 easilly and comfortably with only the seat being altered. The whole experience has been great fun and most rewarding. I enjoyed designing and building it and my wife loves riding it. There will no doubt be some modifications and I intend to make a solar charging station for it in the garden. Until the next bike, be a happy zombie.

All the very best to you all.

Tim

Radical Brad
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice clean and well laid out EV, congrats!

Brad

velotux
07-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks Brad.

I had a great teacher and inspiration.

Cheers.

Tim

Tinker
07-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Great rides you have there!

velotux
07-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the feedback Tinker. I am glad you like them.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi krew.

This is my mate Ken that I work with. He built this chopper. He started with the handlebars and it kind of evolved from there. The bike was completed last week. This is him today at the London Sky ride. He's very pleased with it. It rides well and is comfortable. Looks great to.

All the best.

Tim

graucho
08-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Tell him great ride. What is the London Sky ride? Sounds fun.

Also.... your Meridian's are SWEET! :punk:

velotux
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Graucho.

Thanks for the comments about the Meridians. They turned out well. It is such a great design. Hats off to Brad. I love riding them. I will pass the message on to Ken. The Sky ride is several events around London throughout the year where they close off the roads to all traffic except bikes, to encourage people to use them more. There is entertainment to. Most are normal bikes but there are also unicycles, penny farthings and a guy riding a piano. You get to see all sorts and it's all very good fun.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi AZ Krew.

I know you all like pictures, so here are some of my new recycled charity/fun ride chopper I just finished. It was great fun to build. I like it. I didn't think I would, but I do. Ken and I are going to be Zombifying the streets of London on the 5th Sept at the Mayor of London's sky ride on our choppers, and possible an invertabike, if it is finished on time. It should be, just drive and brakes to sort out then give it some funky paint. So if you see us, give us a wave and say hi.

All the best.

Tim

velotux
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
More pics!

jammin
08-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Wish I still had my chopper

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x229/soon2benakedrockstar/chopper/65.jpg

I would have loved to rode this for the London Sky Ride. I will be there this year though just on my normal bike. Although I do still have a little challenge, as I dropped my wifes Beach Cruiser frame at the shot blasters yesterday. This will be collected on Tuesday then mad rush to get it painted and all the chrome polished and put back together in time. Also got parts on order that I hope arrive on time and fit!

I will keep an eye out for your creation's and will definately stop to say hello and look at your build.

All the best for Sunday if our paths dont cross.

velotux
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Jammin.

What did you do with your chopper? Good luck with the beach cruiser. Hope to see you there. If, as you say our paths do not cross, have a great day yourself.

All the very best.

Tim

jammin
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I sold the chopper a little while back to make space for the next build but just haven't got round to it yet. I pick the freshly shot blasted frame up tomorrow then got til sunday to paint and put back together. Loads of time rally. lol

velotux
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Good luck mate. Hope all goes well.

Cheers.

Tim

velotux
09-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi AZ Krew.

This is Ken's new Invertabike, completed today, so we can take it to the London Skyride this weekend. Its great fun and not as difficult to get on and off as I thought it would be! The weather forecast is looking good so hopefully well have a great day out on our choppers and tall bike.

All the best.

Tim

jammin
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Managed to get the cruiser finished with a few days to spare. This is what the beach cruiser looked like when we got it.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x229/soon2benakedrockstar/Beach%20Cruiser/16052010018.jpg

Then once the frame was blasted, primed and then top coated with satin black this is what it come out like.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x229/soon2benakedrockstar/Beach%20Cruiser/01092010185.jpg

velotux
09-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Nice looking bike Jammin. I like beach cruisers. Might have a go at doing one some day. Hope to see you on sunday. Should be a good day. I'm looking forward to it. Ken is going to be riding the Invertabike, with the Hawaian shirt he got specially for the ride on, so shouldn't be hard to spot us! He said the invertabike looked silly with the 20" front wheel. I didn't agree and pointed out the angle of everything would be wrong with a 26" wheel up front and wondered if he needed a guide dog with him to do his clothes shopping. It's all good fun!

Cheers.

Tim

graucho
09-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi AZ Krew.

We can take it to the London Skyride this weekend. Its great fun and not as difficult to get on and off as I thought it would be! The weather forecast is looking good so hopefully well have a great day out on our choppers and tall bike.

All the best.

Tim

Man what a tease! I wish I was there to enjoy the fun. Enjoy.

Ferrina
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
We were on Southend Pier on New Year's day!

Just started to build a new bike project this year. Sadly, it's not one of the AZ designs but a mixture on the spincycle front drive and tomahawk rear.